Security options

Philodge

Nov 14, 2023
Stockport.
I was a victim of a wooden shed theft several years ago and since then have kept my ebike in the hall.
Living on your own can be handy sometimes.
As you would expect this prevents access to cupboards and under stairs storage, but its safer than putting it into the garden shed.
My bike has been in for service and repair for a couple of weeks and I have had my hall back, which I quite liked.
I have been looking at the Asgard metal shed as a secure storage option and the comments on this website seem to be positive.
However, some go back to 2020.
I do have a decent wooden shed, locked and the hinge screw heads are flattened so cant be unscrewed, but I am still reluctant to risk some smack head scrote trying their look.

My question is .. are there any other perhaps more recent options available for secure outside storage, the Asgard is £700-£800, the Trimetrals metal storage shed is a similar amount .. both a lot of money although seemingly worth it.

Just trying to see if getting my hall back is a temporary thing or could it be permanent with the right solution.

I live in the UK.

Many thanks

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I was a victim of a wooden shed theft several years ago and since then have kept my ebike in the hall.
As you would expect this prevents access to cupboards and under stairs storage, but its safer than putting it into the garden shed.
My bike has been in for service and repair for a couple of weeks and I have had my hall back, which I quite liked.
I have been looking at the Asgard metal shed as a secure storage option and the comments on this website seem to be positive.
I do have a decent wooden shed, locked and the hinge screw heads are flattened so cant be unscrewed, but I am still reluctant to risk some smack head scrote trying their look.

My question is .. are there any other perhaps more recent options available for secure outside storage, the Asgard is £700-£800, the Trimetrals metal storage shed is a similar amount .. both a lot of money although seemingly worth it.

Just trying to see if getting my hall back is a temporary thing or could it be permanent with the right solution.

I live in the UK.

Many thanks
If you live in a house with high ceilings you might consider a bike hoist.
This will raise the bike up high and leave your floor space clearer and you will feel like you have more room.
I use one for my old mountain bike in my garage, which I paid about £36 for 4 years ago. It is not available on Amazon at the moment, but there are various similar ones available.
1701466100299.jpeg

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
One of my mates keeps his dirt bikes in one of those Asgard sheds, he loves it. He put it on a concrete slab and had anchor points for locks put in when the slab was poured though. He’s got the 7ft x 14ft one, it’s a nice workshop with a workbench across the back. His only complaint is it’s cold in the winter, he’s tried to insulate it but it didn’t work out too well but if you’re not planning on using it as a workshop then that won’t matter.

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
I have have a asgard for my bikes which is inside my wooden garage so sort of double secured. I think it’s a great bit of kit, very well made and thieves would make a right racket trying to get into it.

the auldfella

Jan 3, 2023
Derbyshire
Yep another one for Asgard, got one for the motorbikes and a smaller one for the bikes, they need insulation though, very hot in summer and bloody cold in winter, I lined mine with polystyrene panels. Job done.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the insulation, you can buy rolls of foil coated polystyrene insulation from DIY shops (I got mine from B&Q). It is meant for the wall behind radiators in your house, but I used mine on my aluminium garage doors in the garage. It massively reduced heat gain in the Summer, which is why I used it. But it also reduces heat loss in the Winter. The unexpected benefit was if felt like the light level nearly doubled. It should work equally well inside an Asgard.

Garage door before.jpg
Garage door after.jpg

I used ordinary wallpaper paste, as for embossed vinyls. One roll did one door.

There are two doors and the "before" is with all the crap from in front of the other door moved over to make some room to move.

alancube

Sep 24, 2023
Essex
I use a bike hoist in the garage to lift my bike up out of the way - if you have stairs could you hoist it up into the stairwell?

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
One of these is much more secure than a shed of pretty much any type:-

1702387600854.png

Paired with:-

1702387680112.png

Kryptonite Gold / Diamond products also come with £2k theft guarantee.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Note to anyone thinking of installing the Kryptonite ground anchor posted above. You will need a power drill to make 5/8" diameter holes for the anchor bolts (obvs). Your garage floor will have been poured from concrete with a high concentration of pebbles. An ordinary 1/2" chuck hammer drill will be insufficient to drive such a large bit into the concrete. Even if the drill bit doesn't spin in the chuck, what will happen is that the drill will seek to go around rather than through any pebble it hits square on. It will make a mess of the hole. At best you will end up with a hole of the correct depth and it will be 5/8" at the top, but it will not be straight and the anchor bolt will not drop all the way in.
All of the above happened to me, and worse! One of the anchor bolts collapsed into its component parts and it was a right bugger to remove it (a piece of bent gear cable inner did the job). Then it had to be reassembled! :eek:

Do yourself a huge favour, discard your standard 1/2" power drill and start with a large SDS drill. These are not only hammer drills, but they also have a rotary impact as well. They are also bigger and more robust. Crucially, the SKS drill bit does not have a round shank, so it will not spin in the chuck. SDS power drills (and bits) are expensive, so beg, borrow or steal one (well not actually steal, but you know what I mean). :giggle:

Edit: I changed SKS to SDS (oops!)

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Note to anyone thinking of installing the Kryptonite ground anchor posted above. You will need a power drill to make 5/8" diameter holes for the anchor bolts (obvs). Your garage floor will have been poured from concrete with a high concentration of pebbles. An ordinary 1/2" chuck hammer drill will be insufficient to drive such a large bit into the concrete. Even if the drill bit doesn't spin in the chuck, what will happen is that the drill will seek to go around rather than through any pebble it hits square on. It will make a mess of the hole. At best you will end up with a hole of the correct depth and it will be 5/8" at the top, but it will not be straight and the anchor bolt will not drop all the way in.
All of the above happened to me, and worse! One of the anchor bolts collapsed into its component parts and it was a right bugger to remove it (a piece of bent gear cable inner did the job). Then it had to be reassembled! :eek:

Do yourself a huge favour, discard your standard 1/2" power drill and start with a large SKS drill. These are not only hammer drills, but they also have a rotary impact as well. They are also bigger and more robust. Crucially, the SKS drill bit does not have a round shank, so it will not spin in the chuck. SKS power drills (and bits) are expensive, so beg, borrow or steal one (well not actually steal, but you know what I mean). :giggle:
I have a mains powered Makita SDS drill, but what's a SKS drill?

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Another Asgard shed here
had it since 2017 and it still has no rust or anything to speak of
well made wouldn't hesitate in buying another one if needed (y)

I have this one :)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Another Asgard shed here
had it since 2017 and it still has no rust or anything to speak of
well made wouldn't hesitate in buying another one if needed (y)

I have this one :)

If it's also available with a fit laydee instead of a bloke on a bike I'll buy one.

Philodge

Nov 14, 2023
Stockport.
Looks like its going to be an Asgard then .. I will look into it in the New Year.
Just out of interest, does it have to be bolted to the ground.
I have a concrete stamped drive and dont really want to drill holes in it unless I really have too.
The drive being stamped it la cobble effect, although uneven it is level.
I figured the weight of the Asgard is heavy enough to not move and not sure why securing to the ground is necessary.

Thanks for the advice everyone, most helpful.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Looks like its going to be an Asgard then .. I will look into it in the New Year.
Just out of interest, does it have to be bolted to the ground.
I have a concrete stamped drive and dont really want to drill holes in it unless I really have too.
The drive being stamped it la cobble effect, although uneven it is level.
I figured the weight of the Asgard is heavy enough to not move and not sure why securing to the ground is necessary.

Thanks for the advice everyone, most helpful.
It doesn't have to be bolted to the ground if thieves are going to that much trouble to lift it off the ground full of stuff they honestly need leaving to it in my opinion :ROFLMAO:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
One of these is much more secure than a shed of pretty much any type:-

View attachment 130637

Paired with:-

View attachment 130639

Kryptonite Gold / Diamond products also come with £2k theft guarantee.

For garage use that still seems like a bit undersized?

I use the 13 mm chain from Pragmasys, along with two of their massive ground anchors. Their advice is that this is about the point where anything heavier would potentially damage the bikes, and the thieves would just cut the frame anyway. If you use two shorter pieces of noose chain then you can lock them in the middle, which keeps the lock off the ground and makes unlocking the bikes easier.

Chain and lock package here. Ground anchor here. The Double Doofer anchor has the advantage of being really heavy duty (held down by 4 bolts), but removable if you're moving or switching up your storage space.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK

I live in the UK.

Many thanks
Buy 2 of these put them ether side of your shed .
If broken into they won't know what's happening, and keep a baseball bat behind the door 👌
I've got mine on the joist above the shed door and facing the door . And the bat 😉
Screenshot_20231213_234634_Chrome.jpg

Philodge

Nov 14, 2023
Stockport.
Thanks for the alarm advice. I will get one once I get the Asgard Shed.
Anyone got any working discount codes for Asgard, 5% is available just wondererd if there are any others.

Thanks

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
For garage use that still seems like a bit undersized?

I use the 13 mm chain from Pragmasys, along with two of their massive ground anchors. Their advice is that this is about the point where anything heavier would potentially damage the bikes, and the thieves would just cut the frame anyway. If you use two shorter pieces of noose chain then you can lock them in the middle, which keeps the lock off the ground and makes unlocking the bikes easier.

Chain and lock package here. Ground anchor here. The Double Doofer anchor has the advantage of being really heavy duty (held down by 4 bolts), but removable if you're moving or switching up your storage space.

Kryptonite have a couple of versions of the ground anchor but its their highest rated Diamond version so passes the relevant tests and therefore will satisfy your insurance and their £2k guarantee.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles