Bike Security

chris f

Aug 1, 2021
cannock chase United Kingdom
Hi guys

sorry if this has been done to death , i have just insured my beloved turbo levo and the insurance states it needs to be locked with a gold standard lock or at least have the proof i have one and intend to use it .

Have any of you fine people got any recomendations for such a device i have a ground anchor set if my garage floor so this will be used also

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hi guys

sorry if this has been done to death , i have just insured my beloved turbo levo and the insurance states it needs to be locked with a gold standard lock or at least have the proof i have one and intend to use it .

Have any of you fine people got any recomendations for such a device i have a ground anchor set if my garage floor so this will be used also

I have insurance on my bike, which I store in my garage. But they did not tell me I needed any particular lock on the bike (I'm in Canada). But my bike is not insured for instance if it's stolen in front of a coffee shop.

Are they insuring your bike against theft outside your home?

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
Hi guys

What is the coverage of your insurance? Are you covered for in the home/garage or out and about? If it's the former then perhaps search up things like the Hiplok Airlok which are gold rated I beleive. If it's out and about look for the 'sold secure gold' accreditation on locks.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
have you got the exact policy wording? when I got mine they started prattling on about having it locked to the floor when stored at home..... I was surprised and got them to re read it and it actually mentioned being behind a locked door OR locked to the floor with a secure lock when it's away from the home, and so we eventually agreed as long as my garage door was locked then I was covered. It seemed the insurer didn't really know what they were reading out to me at first

Maxijazz

Oct 12, 2020
Alcester
I just had my Turbo Levo (and wife’s Trek Powerfly) stolen (from the back of my car) and they had two gold standard locks on it. It was a Kryptonite New York.
They took that too!
The insurance copy were pretty keen to see the proof of purchase for the locks before processing the claim.
Just make it as secure as you can and tick the box the insurance company have asked you to. It’s all you can do.

I think the aim is to make someone else’s bike more attractive if they have a lesser lock.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I think the aim is to make someone else’s bike more attractive if they have a lesser lock.
That's my approach. I have an Abus Bordo alarm, an old D-Lock and an Abus cable looped around my front wheel. And I don't lock it up for anything but the shortest period where I can't hear the alarm.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
I do have our bikes locked to our garage floor. I drilled through the 4” slab, inserted a “Hilti” threaded anchor and the screwed a a secure “O” ring. 2 good d locks ( one for each bike) fastened through the O ring, and they are quite secure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles