Secret use of Walk Mode...

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I only rarely use walk mode to walk my bike up steep hills, as the bike is very capable...

But today I have found the real purpose for the walk mode:

On narrow trails or in a tight spot in the garage I sometimes have to pull the bike up on the rear wheel to turn it around.
With the heavy eMTBs it demand some strength.

Today I found that I could just push the walk mode button and hold back the bike by the handlebar.
And voilà the bike pushes itself onto the rear wheel.

Specialized-S-Works-Turbo-Levo-2022_Test_Review_E-MTB_2021_-6880-1140x760.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a very narrow footbridge near me, about 10" wide at the bottom. It has metal railings in a Vee shape. The lower rail catches on the pedals, so I can't pedal across. Walk mode on the rear wheel is a good way to get across.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The stairs to a 2nd floor flat in Barcelona were narrower than the handlebars and the bike would not fit inside the elevator, so the only way to go up was using this “walk mode wheelie” techinque, also useful at the suway gates.

Jdof

Nov 6, 2021
Chile
Don’t forget that if you need to change speeds while off the bike, just lift the rear wheel, push the shifter to the desired sprocket and press the Walk button. Works like magic.

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
I only rarely use walk mode to walk my bike up steep hills, as the bike is very capable...

On narrow trails or in a tight spot in the garage I sometimes have to pull the bike up on the rear wheel to turn it around.

Today I found that I could just push the walk mode button and hold back the bike by the handlebar.

View attachment 75474
Don’t care too much about the walk mode, but the impressive picture 💪

Cancer73

Sep 12, 2021
Sydney Aus

View attachment 75474
Nice thrust! 😂😂😂😂

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Do you guys use it when you get stuck / stopped on a steep climb? I activate walk mode to start getting some momentum while still seated and then hop back on the pedals. So good.
Must try this if I’m still on the trail!
When I disappeared off a single track and down into the bushes, lifting up on to the rear wheel and engaging walk mode the bike simply eat the steep incline, much easier than with both wheels on the ground

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This takes my lack-of-coordination to a whole new level.

When I return from a ride, and need to send my eMTB to where it sleeps, I have to navigate past a number of obstacles to reach the mancave. For example the garage door, the car, the coats, the key rack, the dog leash, Costco toilet paper, …you get the picture. We have a tandem garage and the “situation room” is at the back. And it gets friggin narrow when the car is in there.

After I clean/rinse my bike outside I attempt to raise the eMTB on the rear wheel. I try to do this when no one is looking. My 15min of figure skating class has not paid off and if you’re up for a good laugh …imagine mud wrestling.

I’m gonna try this walk-mode method. It might help.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Finding the right gear may take some practice, once you find, it use the rear brake to control the power delivery to the rear wheel, keeping the walk button pushed.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
This takes my lack-of-coordination to a whole new level.

When I return from a ride, and need to send my eMTB to where it sleeps, I have to navigate past a number of obstacles to reach the mancave. For example the garage door, the car, the coats, the key rack, the dog leash, Costco toilet paper, …you get the picture. We have a tandem garage and the “situation room” is at the back. And it gets friggin narrow when the car is in there.

After I clean/rinse my bike outside I attempt to raise the eMTB on the rear wheel. I try to do this when no one is looking. My 15min of figure skating class has not paid off and if you’re up for a good laugh …imagine mud wrestling.

I’m gonna try this walk-mode method. It might help.
I just put the rear brake on and walk backwards. Feel free to share a video of your efforts, though!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I recently did a trail where it was so narrow and overgrown around the pedals area you couldn't pedal. Used walk mode to get me through.
I have also used it to get over a wide shallow stream where I didn't want to pedal and get my feet wet. The stream bottom was smooth and it worked ok.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles