Scott Strike eRide 710 now or wait a bit and get a Focus Jam2 6.8/Whyte E-150 S

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Evening all.
I’ve been looking at the 2020 Focus Jam2 6.8 or the yet to be released Whyte E-150 S but whilst checking I’ve come across the Scott eRide 710 which is a great spec, but the previous generation of Bosch motor. The Scott is available with a 20% discount as an outgoing model (£4560) which is roughly what either of the two new bikes will cost (give or take a couple of £100).

Is it worth the better spec even with the previous motor or should I wind my neck in and sit tight for the replacement bikes? My head is saying wait but I’m itching to get out riding.
FWIW, I’ve been out of the game for a year or two with knackered knees and I’m hoping an eBike will help me shift the weight I’ve put on.
Usage will be commuting as much as possible (7 miles each way) as well as XC and a good bit of trail centre/singletrack. I’ll be riding around Sutton Bank/Guisborough/North Yorkshire area as much as possible.

Appreciate any advice!
Cheers

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Honestly I would wait based on those options.

If you want to get a bike now and can’t wait, look at the Shimano motors bikes, the current Bosch is so long in the tooth now with too many foibles compared to other brands, and given the financial outlay you will kick yourself for getting it in a couple of months.

The bigger battery on the new Bosch’s is worth waiting for in itself

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking. It’s just so tempting with the discounts available on previous model years ?. I’ll wait and try the Whyte and Focus in August. I’m going to book a test of the current Bosch in a hard tail Cube in the next couple of weeks to get an idea of what the assistance is like.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
What about going even older - a Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie is available in my size for £4999. That's £3,800 off the list price! :eek:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I wouldn't - the latest bikes are a big step forward over the older ones. The old Levo is not a bad bike, but id I recall from another thread you are a larger gentleman, and the geometry on it isn't that long.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply (y). I can only see the geometry changes, updated motor and battery between the 2018/19 s-works, also the suspensions changes to Fox from Ohlins. Other than range would those changes make sure a massive difference (assuming the geo is ok for my height - extra 25mm of reach on the '19.

I suppose the 18/19 S-works comparison isn't fair really as I don't have £10k for the '19!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
What about going even older - a Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie is available in my size for £4999. That's £3,800 off the list price! :eek:
I think that is worth a serious look, I am 186cm and comfortable on a large 2018, if there was an expert for 4k then that would be my ultimate choice. Set of 29s for trails and spare 500w battery you would still be under 5k.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Cheers! After watching a pile of videos I think it's probably more bike than I'll ever need. I've googled but can't find any decent comparison videos between the '18/'19 bikes. I know there won't be any '20 comparisons but if anyone has any links to the downsides of going for the 18 Levo over any 19 bike it'd be much appreciated!

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
best to go do some test rides on each bike, then ask when the 2020 is in stock , im sure they will be doing good deals on the 19 stock , usually happens late july / aug so not long to go

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Cheers! After watching a pile of videos I think it's probably more bike than I'll ever need. I've googled but can't find any decent comparison videos between the '18/'19 bikes. I know there won't be any '20 comparisons but if anyone has any links to the downsides of going for the 18 Levo over any 19 bike it'd be much appreciated!
@Rob Hancill will be able to help you on that

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
best to go do some test rides on each bike, then ask when the 2020 is in stock , im sure they will be doing good deals on the 19 stock , usually happens late july / aug so not long to go

Normally this would be the case but given the popularity and supply issues I am not so sure that they will have excess stock that they will discount to clear this year. Also factoring in the price rise in 2019 it will maybe bring it back to 2018 retail prices. No doubt the 2019 arguably rides better (but with low quality components compared to 2018) 2018 was by no means shabby.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Popped over to the shop and can you believe it, the S-works sold today ?. The ‘19 FSR Comp was in stock but at the very top of the budget with a 500wh battery I’m not sold on the value despite it looking like a great bike. They offered a loan of one for a day so I’ll probably take them up on that soon although I’d feel bad not buying one then hah!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles