Scary Desert Ride (Dead Sea)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
That's superb and your commentary is very lifting, even better if I could understand a word of it, but I can guess what you are saying
Got the bit where he said "crazy shit "..& " Mutha Fuka" ..but didn't get the rest..and I think someone tried to swap their camel for his bike ..but he quite rightly told them to swivel ..fantastic riding !
Saying that my knees & elbows came out in a cold sweat with what damage that terrain could do if they were unprotected ( not forgetting the prospect of snuffing it completely on the sheer drops )..I always assumed a desert would be soft sand ..😁

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL
Please, add some water too! ... just kidding.
Nice vídeo!

Lol, the truth is that just a few kilometers away there is the Dead Sea, it is the lowest place in the world and all the water without animals in general is the huge amount of salt

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I went in the Dead Sea once. Without thinking I splashed water in my eyes! I couldn't open my eyes or see for about 10 minutes. There should be warning signs! 😆

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Last edited:

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL
Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing. I hope you guys run downhill casings on your front and rear tires.....

I run with maxxis Asgai exo + front tire 2.5
And behind Vitoria E- Maza 2.6 +

We must ride with relatively high tire pressure
30 PSI + -
Otherwise the stones skewer the tires

Last month I snatched 5 punctures in one tire.

You are welcome to talk to me if you come to Israel, I will be happy to lead you on the routes.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Now that looks great fun, and scary. not a fan on loose grip gully's, i think i would have chickened out on those.

Pacific Ryder

May 9, 2020
Northern California
I run with maxxis Asgai exo + front tire 2.5
And behind Vitoria E- Maza 2.6 +

We must ride with relatively high tire pressure
30 PSI + -
Otherwise the stones skewer the tires

Last month I snatched 5 punctures in one tire.

You are welcome to talk to me if you come to Israel, I will be happy to lead you on the routes.

Very kind!!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
The water is so salty* that it is much denser than water and therefore is a lot better at floating the human body. Many years ago, I saw a photo of a guy sat upright in the sea, reading a newspaper.
Did that many, many years ago. It's pretty bizarre. Swimming is weird as your arms are too high. Should you have the slightest scratch or abrasion, though, it stings like fuck.

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL
This is true
I come to the area from time to time but the main experience is these bike trails in the area, there are also shuttles to the top of the mountains

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Hey, Tom. Thanks for posting the video. Looks like a fun place to ride, but I also appreciate the cultural implications. Like so many people around the world, all we know about anyone else is what the media and governments tell us. So all I've learned is about cities, scary neighbors over the border, Tavor, and krav maga. It's cool to see some riding going on.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Hey, Tom. Thanks for posting the video. Looks like a fun place to ride, but I also appreciate the cultural implications. Like so many people around the world, all we know about anyone else is what the media and governments tell us. So all I've learned is about cities, scary neighbors over the border, Tavor, and krav maga. It's cool to see some riding going on.
Not to hijack the thread or anything...
But yes! There is quite a large MTB scene in Israel, it's a popular hobby here, mostly "weekend warriors" but many that ride several times a week too. It's a great way to unwind in a verry stressful country😃
There are dozens of well planed and we'll marked official trails built by the forestry agency, and hundreds of unofficial trails, all over the country. And many bikers pack the national parks and other natural areas on almost every weekend, as we have a long summer. And on the couple of months of rain, that we get in the winter, you can always drive an hour or so away, and be in the desert! Where riding conditions are perfect! In the winter..
Just last weekend we took a visiting Canadian with us, gave him a bike, and took him on a great desert ride! That I'm sure he will remember!
So yes! Come visit Israel! And I or any other Israeli mtb'er or emtb'er will be more than happy to show you around! 👍👍👍
Tim

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL

All you hear in the news is drama
As a person you experience almost none of these things
What is not yet talked about is that there is a lot of cooperation between Arabs and Jews
For example, those who carry out the bounces to the mayor are Arabs.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
All you hear in the news is drama
As a person you experience almost none of these things
What is not yet talked about is that there is a lot of cooperation between Arabs and Jews
For example, those who carry out the bounces to the mayor are Arabs.
Short explanation here if Tom doesn't mind!?
He's referring to the "shuttles"... Quite a flurishing business has developed at the Dead Sea, near Jericho, where most of the trails end, namely the know "sugar trail", several restaurants have opened there to serve the mtb'ers and mx'ers that ride the trails, also a convinience store, camel rides and other amenities, most notably, the shuttles back up the mountains! And most of these services are localy Arab owned. This provides the riders with a great service! And the locals with a needed income!
Win win situation!
And this is the norm in Israel...
In our multicultural society.
Tim.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
And most of these services are localy Arab owned. This provides the riders with a great service! And the locals with a needed income!
Win win situation!

Right on, Tim. We're very multicultural in this area, and I gotta tell you, I much prefer it to regions where everyone looks like me. So anyway, let me tell you of a shuttle ride I once took. Just like everywhere, the shuttle drivers aren't doctors, lawyers, or CEO's of multinational corporations. Our driver is a nice guy. His van is ok, and it seats quite a few riders. His trailer holds about a dozen bikes, and there are other racks on the bumper, roof, etc. He picked us up at the bottom of the mountain, and it was about a 40 minute ride up a winding mountain road to the drop off point. As we were standing around waiting for people to grab their bikes, my buddy looked down at the hitch, and noticed that the tow ball didn't have a nut holding it on. It was only there as a result of gravity and tongue weight! Bwahahahaha! Our driver was a resourceful sort of bloke, and he managed to get his rig off the mountain and to the closest parts store.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles