SC-EM800 blinking, not turning on (EP8)

Stasjminister

Mar 2, 2021
Norway
I have a EP8 setup with the SC-EM800 display. Today, when riding in very cold weather (-15C), the bike worked flawless. But on the way back I could not turn the system on. When pressing the switch (EW-SW300) the display (SC-EM800) turned the backlight on and off a couple of times. Then died. When I got home, I got the bike inside and I managed to turn it on. Any ideas what could cause this? I know the older EP8000 power-button-units had a small battery that could prevent the system to start up in cold weather. But I cant find one on my setup..

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I think that switch has a battery. You can verify this by removing the main battery and pressing the button. The button lights up, so there is a battery inside.

Shimano says that the minimum temperature for their system is -10C.

Stasjminister

Mar 2, 2021
Norway
Indeed, it does light up without the battery in it. So it must have som internal battery. However, it does not seem to be replaceable in any way, so leaving this one to be just the temperature being the issue. Which is the same for the older versions.

@eMullet Thanks mate

Stasjminister

Mar 2, 2021
Norway
Continuing on this, I tried the alternative method of turning the bike on, via the bottle-holder-hole. Unfortunately they have not catered for that on the 2021 Canyon Spectral:eek:n. So the Size M frame has the hole about 1cm too low on the frame to hit the button.. Nice. See scratch-mark on battery:

20211201_111707.jpg

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Yea, it's too bad that the button on the battery is not accessible in the Spectral. Merida has a hole for this button in the frame.

1638442918800.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles