Featured S-Works Levo 2000 miles and counting...

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
So I have just passed the 2000 miles on my levo, and I thought I would post a not so little story of how I have got on with it since November 2017. Originally I was having the new Stumpjumper but having had a go on my sister-in-laws Pendleton e-bike I was intrigued as to what an E-mountain bike would be like? So called in to my local (1.5 miles from my house) Specialized dealer who has been supplying my bikes for over 20 years, he had an 2017 Levo test bike that I could have for the weekend.

The first thing I noticed was the weight, but the power alleviated that straight away, an hour of trail riding and I was converted! Again the weight is on your mind all the time but the pay off with the power makes it so much fun you soon forget, so back to shop to order a 2018 model that was about 3-4 weeks from launch.

I had original thought of having the base Levo but once I had added a few upgrades I was at the Levo Comp price, so it seemed easier to go for that, but again I was thinking about all the money I had spent on upgrades on bikes over the years, So I decided to go for the S-Works (telling my wife I had ordered a Carbon Expert ??) I had also ordered her a Comp Carbon ?, so bikes ordered now just the wait for them to ship from the U.S. to the U.K.

Monday 27th November was collection day, excited ?, picked the bikes about 3:30pm had a bike fit so that they were set up perfectly, once my wife had got over the shock of the bikes I had ordered (we are still married)only a short ride that night but since then I have rode most days, wind, rain or snow and now sun!

So firstly let me say Brothertons (Specialized Dealer) and Specialized UK have been amazing!

Let get the problems out the way, first wash with a hose and the wheel stickers came off, now this is not a major thing, but on a Specialized I expected better, Specialized said they would send some new ones out, I preferred them Carbon black anyway so had no intention on putting them back on, next the paint on the rear shock hinge chipped away with movement, Specialized sent a touch up pen and a sizeable credit to spend on Specialized goods at Brothertons ?, next the rear mech cable snapped, replaced no questions asked, this was all before the 100 mile check up. Then the remote handle bar switch failed, new switch fitted more credit from Specialized?, then the motor kept cutting out, Specialized sent out a new motor, new motor fitted, but it was making so much noise they had to send another, motor 3 fitted, all good, a few weeks later remote handle bar switch failed again. It was getting to the point that I had no trust in the bike when going out.

Unbeknownst to me Brothertons had been speaking to Specialized about replacing the bike, this is where supporting you local bike shop buying 10 bikes in 20 plus years helps, Specialized said they should be sending a new bike out over night! The old bike had done 1,300 in 4 months, new bike arrived on the 18th April and I have not had a single problem with the new one??, I must say don’t be put off a levo as my wife’s Carbon Levo has not had a single problem.

Now the good stuff, the most fun I have had on a mountain bike for years, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, I was always great a getting up hills on my Stumpjumper but always burnt my self out before getting to the the fun down hills. Now I don’t have that problem, S-Works feels like my Stumpjumper with a motor, the extra weight loss makes it feel like any other manual bike and with the battery out maybe lighter, with the motor out it’s definitely lighter?.

Front Fork is Öhlins RXF 36 150 mm - what can I say, best forks I have had under me, always loved Fox, never liked Specialized own, I like mine stiff and these seem to make me feel planted into the corners, not messed much with the settings.

Rear Shock RockShox Monarch RT3 Autosag 135mm - it was supposed to be an Öhlins rear but Specialized had problems with it in development I hear, again it’s plush when it need to be and perfect on descents.

Motor/Custom Turbo 1.3 Brose Drive - Other than the problems with my first bike motor, it’s been perfect, even in 30 degree heat we had a few days ago, I have heard people say that the Carbon would not be good a displeasing the heat but I have had no problem with over heating. Can’t compare to the old motor but the power is smooth, only use turbo when it’s very steep, as I tend to go places I would not on a manual.

Drivetrain SRAM XX1 - very quiet on the trail, but changing gears uphill does occasionally make it clunk, but that’s more me not reading the terrain. Shifter is quick, love the thumb knuckle down shift.

Brakes SRAM Code RSC - wow, just wow... the best brakes I have ever had! They are frighteningly amazing, I did now realise until I had my wife’s Levo Carbon for a day and almost killed myself riding a trail I ride all the time the same way I do on my S-Works. If you are going to spend money on an upgrade on your Levo then these would be top of my list.

Seatpost Specialized Command Post IRCC - I tend not to use it much, I like to feel the bike between my legs so it stays up.

Handlebar Specialized Trail Carbon 780mm - the only problem has been riding a single track through some very tight trees it was close?, my wife had hers cut down to 720mm, I will give hers ago and see how they feel.

Wheelset Roval Traverse SL Carbon - rotation weight definitely helps, could feel the difference when I was on my wife’s bike with alloy wheels, again if I was looking at Levo upgrades it would be second on the list,

Tires Specialized Butcher Grid 2.8″ - you read how amazing some tyres are, butI think you get sucked in to thinking they will take any thing you can throw at them, a few times I have taken corners and they have slid away, but that might be my skill more than the tyres ? but they roll over anything.

Battery 504 - the only little problem I have had is occasionally getting the battery back on if I have taken it off, just getting the pin lined up. Charging in full is about 3 hours. I always clean the power connector after every ride so that the magnetic connection works ok. I have never run the battery out I did a 46 mile ride the other day, canal ride, decent most of the way their, lots of uphill locks on the way back, got home with 20% left. I’m 5ft 10” and 14st just for your information ?

Maintenance - I’m one of those people who likes a professional to do it so other than cleaning, degreasing and GT85 it goes to the dealer, I’m lucky it’s around the corner and I know it’s done right! I do make sure I cover the handle bar switch now when GT85, I know it’s a sealed unit but just in case,I also clean the speed sensor just inside the rear of the frame.

I needed to check the weight for the bike rack, both bike are medium

Levo S-Works 18.5Kg (no battery) 21Kg with battery, full water bottle and saddle bag with a few things in.

Levo Carbon 19.8Kg (no battery) 23Kg with battery, full water bottle and saddle bag with a few things in.

So just over 2000 miles done since November and I have to say I’m back in love with mountain biking, I always loved it, but now I love going up hill too, I was on the fence about e-bikes but I ride more now than I ever have, on Sunday I went to ClentHills my local trail in the midlands and it was 90% e-bikes ?that’s the a big change from last year. It’s great for starting conversations too.

Thanks for reading?

Instagram @bimbanyc ??

614.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
Fantastic write up and a very enjoyable read, I enjoyed reading this and learning about these issues, fixes and similarities of these 2 bikes.

May I ask if you could delve deeper into the differences between the comp Carbon and the s-works. Perhaps how they feel, handle, ride, look etc etc etc?

For sample...
On a flat road tarmac surface, do you notice any differences between the two bikes?
Would you consider the comp brakes to be insufficient? I other users who agree and also mentioned that they feel the brakes on the 17 model actually stopped better than his 18 model which is very interesting.

Is the Power delivery of the motor in the comp / s-works etc they the same?
Does the shock at the front make the ride feel completely different, or is it only noticeable on serious drops, on normal flat gravel light bump terrain (blue routes etc) is the difference as noticable?

Between the comp and the s-works would you say the difference is night and day, or subtle?
Are both the bikes the same size?

I notice the difference is only 1.2kg between the 2 bikes, but over 2kg when the battery / bag was added? What caused this additional weight disparity? Is the battery different made of different material on the S-works?

Any other info you have that clearly describes how these 2 bikes in particular differ would be Invaluable to someone like me who is currently looking to buy a comp Carbon.

Thanks again

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
Hi Cyclone,

I true to answer them in order...

The feel between the Comp Carbon and S-Works I did not think would be to much but boy was I wrong they are like two completely different bikes to ride. Remember the Comp Carbon is set up for my wife who is 5ft 4” and 10st and I was not allowed to change her set up or face the consistencies ? The Comp Carbon is a very slightly heavier 8m Carbon compared to the S-works 11m, I’m sure with the same parts from the s-works on the comp Carbon you would not notice. Obviously the rear swing arm on the Comp is alloy making the back end heavier plus alloy wheels, so that changes the feel. The Carbon on the S-Works is a mat black finish compared to a glossy finish in the Comp Carbon, I like both, I would of like all black and for it to have that lattice Carbon look, but thats just me. My wife had the Red top bar model only because the chameleon blue/green was another two week wait, but that’s my favourite on all the levo’s this year.

The handling, the comp Carbon handles like a dream, but I had been riding the S-works for 4 months before I rode the Comp Carbon, so it felt different straight away, but trust me on single track it performed superbly, never did it feel like it would not do what I wanted.

The Ride, felt different mainly because I’m 4st heavier them my wife so the rear sat lower and her seat is lower too, like I said she did not want me to change anything, but not once did I bottom it out. On the road I can only say I felt like I had to put in a little more effort on the Comp Carbon, again due to the wheel rotation weight and little extra bike weight, I just put up the Eco by 5% to 30%? trail stayed at 60% and turbo at 100% ?. On the road is not these bikes true environment but both bikes, have enough power the to get away from the lights in race mode fun, I love to see drivers faces ?.

The breaks, as I said before this was the big wow factor for me, the s-works are instant, throw you over the bars if you pull the front to hard instant! I’m not saying the Comp Carbon are bad but after riding the S-works you notice it instantly. Once I had got used to the Comp Carbon breaks I had no problems at all on fast corners, my wife’s leavers had be dialled in as she has a small finger reach, so they are already closer to the bars. The SRAM Guide RE on the Comp Carbon are a 4 piston break so no problems in stopping, it’s just that instant scrub off of speed with the SRAM Code RSC coming into a corner is not as goo is the only way to describe it as the S-Works. If you have funds £230 to upgrade then you won’t regret it! Don’t do it until you have tried the SRAM guides just so you know how good the SRAM codes are.

Front shock, ohlins are the masters of suspension not that the Rockshox Revelations aren’t good because they are, they now have 35mm tube so are inline with the Pikes and we know how good they are! But I like the stiffness of the Ohlins you feel the small pebbles, not harshly just through the bars like light morse code, with the Rockshox its more smooth and relaxed, but it’s personal preference, both are excellent.

The difference between the bikes (both medium) was a shock to me, it’s not one big thing, it’s all the small thing that make the big diffrence, weight, wheel rotation speed, frame stiffness they all added up, the Comp Carbon is an amazing bike that will do more that most people can throw at it! Like me most people on the forum are not pro riders just want to enjoy e-mtb your not going to be entertaining any competitions, if I had to choose between the Standard and the Carbon Levo I would go with the Carbon if the funds allow? The £750 difference between the two is worth paying. So when you replace or upgrade parts you have a better stiffer frame as starting point. On a side note I was told by my dealer (Specialized, not drugs) that the motor is mounted differently in the Carbon bikes than the alloy bikes too.

Weight of the bikes might be a little off as I stood them upright on the bathroom scale but it’s about 1.8kg difference with the battery on. The batteries are the same.

As for the S-Works I’m lucky enough to be in a position to afford one, it’s taken me almost 30 years from my humble beginnings on a Hardrock’s, to Enduro’s and Stumpjumper’s, I thought S-works can’t be worth the extra money you have to pay they can’t be that much different? Oh how wrong was I....

The only down side to the S-Works is I feel guilty some times because of the cost, but that soon stops when I’m flying down the trail.

If you have anymore questions please free to ask, I’ll do my best to help, what ever levo you choose you will love it ?

Last edited:

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Great write up, excellent work. Such fun bikes to ride - and many adventure to be had. My partner gets her EMTB this coming week, so we'll be out tearing it up as much as possible.

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
Thank you, EMTB is the future, imagine what they will be like in 5 years time? Hope you both enjoy them as much as I do, it’s changed my whole style and perspective on MTB.

Cyclone

May 10, 2018

What a hugely insightful response. I'm on the cusp of purchasing my bike tomorrow. I've contacted a few places, I am ready to buy, I'm just wondering if I should hold... a little longer.

My issue isn't that I'm worried about it not being good enough etc... it's more about how I personally feel re: cost/performance vs ride feel etc.

For example, I recently bought a new car amen was nitially going to get the mid spec, but after a lot of testing etc and time deliberating what and how I would use the car, I ended up doubling my budget and going all in.

At the time, I felt perhaps I didn't need the additional spec etc... but looking back now with hindsight I know for sure that I made the right decision and had I bought the mid spec and didn't have XYZ features on the car, I'd be a bit disappointed on a daily basis. However, the same is to be said with our house, we bought a slightly smaller, newer house rather than the bigger older house we ideally wanted based on location.. in hindsight this was absolutely the best decision as it's perfect and the location is second to none.

I'm now at the same junction with the bike. Technically if I want to buy a bike tomorrow I have 5k limit imposed by the wife as we have a lot of expense coming in the next few months with another child.

However, I could very easily wait, and ramp that budget up in 4/6 months. The issue there is the 19 models will be announced and the entire cycle starts again (also it's the end of the fun hot summer)

So for me, I'm trying to weigh up exactly what bike I should best for me, what I want, need and how I want to feel when riding the bike. Will I ride my 5k comp carbon and have that little niggle in my mind the entire time telling me I should have gone for the expert or the s-works etc, or will I ride a s-works and feel guilt that I bought something I didn't real,need and could have spent that money elsewhere.

I honestly didn't think there would be such a drastic difference between the 2 bikes. But to hear that there is, makes me think I should hold off a little longer and the get the better bike. Which is a great thing, as you may have delayed or stopped me from making a bad decision that I can't reverse. I can buy the bike anytime, they aren't going away any time soon, so worse case scenarios is that I delay the purchase tomorrow answer research a little longer, which is fine, but I would hate to have buyers remorse.

What would be interesting is how would you compare the Comp Carbon to the high end non elec Specialized bikes? Where in the range do you think the Comp Carbon sites to its equivalent non e-bike? Entry level StuntJumped with a motor etc?

Funtime ...
If both your bikes were removed from you tomorrow and your store said you can only have 1 bike. The Carbon Comp right away, or the S-Works in 6 months time... what would you do ;)

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
Hi Cyclone, having kids changes your perspective on everything, congratulations on your pending arrival ?,.

Firstly would I wait for the 2019 model? No ! If you do you will wait for the 2020 model and so on, technology is moving fast but you can’t keep waiting, plus with another child on the way, get out riding now while you have time ?.

If I had to chose a bike right now or in 6 months I would choose the Comp Carbon now , it’s an amazing bike I can’t stress that enough, go to your local Specialized dealer if you have one they most likely have a comp Carbon test bike most dealers do for you to ride.

As for comparison to one of my previous none Specialized eBike, I would say the Enduro for the comp Carbon, its got that indestructible feel to it. Trust me my enduro did The beast of Brenin in wales and never let me down. The comp Carbon is the best pound for pound emtb on the market I’m my opinion, the extra £1250 to the expert Carbon levo because you get the SRAM Code R is not enough to tempt me, if they had the SRAM Code RSC then yes maybe but you can upgrade them for £230 if you don’t like the SRAM guides on the Comp Carbon.

I could of got the expert for my wife, but it’s overkill for her as is the S-Works for me, if had got us both Comp carbons would I be happy, hell yes! It’s a big leap from the alloy bike in feel, you want it to feel like a none emtb and the Comp Carbon does that better in my opinion.

Funtime
Do you want to sit at home reading on the forum about everyone having fun now on EMTB’s or get one now and join in, Oh I don’t have kids by the way ? but I would spend the extra money on them not the Expert or S-Works to make up for all the time you are going to be out on your bike?

Go and order the Comp Carbon today you won’t regret it I promise!

Hope this helps...

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
Great write up. I have a S-works levo also. I demoed the comp and was not impressed with it so much. I was trying to figure out what to buy and a shop near me had the s-works in stock. WOW like you said, a completely different bike. I love it. Glad i went that route.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Not ridden a Levo so this is just general musings...

One thing to be aware going in is what the extra gets you in terms of spec. Frame suspension and wheells are probably good upgrades but most components just get lighter as you go up the range. e.g. SRAM GX perfoms just the same as XX1 but is heavier. That weight dofference is not going to be noticed. Brakes may be a different issue but ar not hugely expensive to upgrade.

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
Great write up. I have a S-works levo also. I demoed the comp and was not impressed with it so much. I was trying to figure out what to buy and a shop near me had the s-works in stock. WOW like you said, a completely different bike. I love it. Glad i went that route.

Interestingly, I have decided to opt out of the Carbon Comp and will not be joining the e-bike family this year. I think I'm going to up my budget, wait until later in the year and grab an S-Works Carbon 2018 in the sale or wait and see what September brings.

Just want to thank everyone for being so cool, helpful and insightful. I'm gutted I won't be joining the e-bike community yet, but I think it's right thing to do. I'd rather join in with something that makes me happy, satisfied and feels like a good investment, than grabbing whatever is available and regretting it in 6 months time..

Back to my stunt jumper for now, but hopefully you will see me log back in around September with some pictures of my S-Works and my new child :D

Have fun everyone, enjoy the summer and thanks again for being such a warm, welcoming, helpful community.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Great write up! I enjoyed it!!
I'm a comp carbon man so will have to test an S Works.
but I'm 11stone, hey on another note you need to weigh it with you on it!!
cheers

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
So I have just passed the 2000 miles on my levo, and I thought I would post a not so little story of how I have got on with it since November 2017. Originally I was having the new Stumpjumper but having had a go on my sister-in-laws Pendleton e-bike I was intrigued as to what an E-mountain bike would be like? So called in to my local (1.5 miles from my house) Specialized dealer who has been supplying my bikes for over 20 years, he had an 2017 Levo test bike that I could have for the weekend.

The first thing I noticed was the weight, but the power alleviated that straight away, an hour of trail riding and I was converted! Again the weight is on your mind all the time but the pay off with the power makes it so much fun you soon forget, so back to shop to order a 2018 model that was about 3-4 weeks from launch.

I had original thought of having the base Levo but once I had added a few upgrades I was at the Levo Comp price, so it seemed easier to go for that, but again I was thinking about all the money I had spent on upgrades on bikes over the years, So I decided to go for the S-Works (telling my wife I had ordered a Carbon Expert ??) I had also ordered her a Comp Carbon ?, so bikes ordered now just the wait for them to ship from the U.S. to the U.K.

Monday 27th November was collection day, excited ?, picked the bikes about 3:30pm had a bike fit so that they were set up perfectly, once my wife had got over the shock of the bikes I had ordered (we are still married)only a short ride that night but since then I have rode most days, wind, rain or snow and now sun!

So firstly let me say Brothertons (Specialized Dealer) and Specialized UK have been amazing!

Let get the problems out the way, first wash with a hose and the wheel stickers came off, now this is not a major thing, but on a Specialized I expected better, Specialized said they would send some new ones out, I preferred them Carbon black anyway so had no intention on putting them back on, next the paint on the rear shock hinge chipped away with movement, Specialized sent a touch up pen and a sizeable credit to spend on Specialized goods at Brothertons ?, next the rear mech cable snapped, replaced no questions asked, this was all before the 100 mile check up. Then the remote handle bar switch failed, new switch fitted more credit from Specialized?, then the motor kept cutting out, Specialized sent out a new motor, new motor fitted, but it was making so much noise they had to send another, motor 3 fitted, all good, a few weeks later remote handle bar switch failed again. It was getting to the point that I had no trust in the bike when going out.

Unbeknownst to me Brothertons had been speaking to Specialized about replacing the bike, this is where supporting you local bike shop buying 10 bikes in 20 plus years helps, Specialized said they should be sending a new bike out over night! The old bike had done 1,300 in 4 months, new bike arrived on the 18th April and I have not had a single problem with the new one??, I must say don’t be put off a levo as my wife’s Carbon Levo has not had a single problem.

Now the good stuff, the most fun I have had on a mountain bike for years, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, I was always great a getting up hills on my Stumpjumper but always burnt my self out before getting to the the fun down hills. Now I don’t have that problem, S-Works feels like my Stumpjumper with a motor, the extra weight loss makes it feel like any other manual bike and with the battery out maybe lighter, with the motor out it’s definitely lighter?.

Front Fork is Öhlins RXF 36 150 mm - what can I say, best forks I have had under me, always loved Fox, never liked Specialized own, I like mine stiff and these seem to make me feel planted into the corners, not messed much with the settings.

Rear Shock RockShox Monarch RT3 Autosag 135mm - it was supposed to be an Öhlins rear but Specialized had problems with it in development I hear, again it’s plush when it need to be and perfect on descents.

Motor/Custom Turbo 1.3 Brose Drive - Other than the problems with my first bike motor, it’s been perfect, even in 30 degree heat we had a few days ago, I have heard people say that the Carbon would not be good a displeasing the heat but I have had no problem with over heating. Can’t compare to the old motor but the power is smooth, only use turbo when it’s very steep, as I tend to go places I would not on a manual.

Drivetrain SRAM XX1 - very quiet on the trail, but changing gears uphill does occasionally make it clunk, but that’s more me not reading the terrain. Shifter is quick, love the thumb knuckle down shift.

Brakes SRAM Code RSC - wow, just wow... the best brakes I have ever had! They are frighteningly amazing, I did now realise until I had my wife’s Levo Carbon for a day and almost killed myself riding a trail I ride all the time the same way I do on my S-Works. If you are going to spend money on an upgrade on your Levo then these would be top of my list.

Seatpost Specialized Command Post IRCC - I tend not to use it much, I like to feel the bike between my legs so it stays up.

Handlebar Specialized Trail Carbon 780mm - the only problem has been riding a single track through some very tight trees it was close?, my wife had hers cut down to 720mm, I will give hers ago and see how they feel.

Wheelset Roval Traverse SL Carbon - rotation weight definitely helps, could feel the difference when I was on my wife’s bike with alloy wheels, again if I was looking at Levo upgrades it would be second on the list,

Tires Specialized Butcher Grid 2.8″ - you read how amazing some tyres are, butI think you get sucked in to thinking they will take any thing you can throw at them, a few times I have taken corners and they have slid away, but that might be my skill more than the tyres ? but they roll over anything.

Battery 504 - the only little problem I have had is occasionally getting the battery back on if I have taken it off, just getting the pin lined up. Charging in full is about 3 hours. I always clean the power connector after every ride so that the magnetic connection works ok. I have never run the battery out I did a 46 mile ride the other day, canal ride, decent most of the way their, lots of uphill locks on the way back, got home with 20% left. I’m 5ft 10” and 14st just for your information ?

Maintenance - I’m one of those people who likes a professional to do it so other than cleaning, degreasing and GT85 it goes to the dealer, I’m lucky it’s around the corner and I know it’s done right! I do make sure I cover the handle bar switch now when GT85, I know it’s a sealed unit but just in case,I also clean the speed sensor just inside the rear of the frame.

I needed to check the weight for the bike rack, both bike are medium

Levo S-Works 18.5Kg (no battery) 21Kg with battery, full water bottle and saddle bag with a few things in.

Levo Carbon 19.8Kg (no battery) 23Kg with battery, full water bottle and saddle bag with a few things in.

So just over 2000 miles done since November and I have to say I’m back in love with mountain biking, I always loved it, but now I love going up hill too, I was on the fence about e-bikes but I ride more now than I ever have, on Sunday I went to ClentHills my local trail in the midlands and it was 90% e-bikes ?that’s the a big change from last year. It’s great for starting conversations too.

Thanks for reading?

Instagram @bimbanyc ??

View attachment 1487
Can I ask how many chains you have used?

Great review

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
Hi Mountie, Strange you should ask that! I broke the chain last week on the second bike that has done about 500+ miles, but it was only the link, I asked if the chain ok or need replacing and it was ok to put the link back in, the first bike did 1500 miles and it was fine. I will be upgrading the chain to a EMTB one next time its due, having it checked again mid June. Hope this helps?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I have , 3,000km still on original chain & gears , only changed to 36tooth crank sprocket. as gearing too low.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I get LBS they are specilized, to service my bike as I ride it with a group twice a week. it has never let me down yet. we have four Levo's in the group now. no one in the group have mentions replacing chains & non to my knowledge have broken a chain. might be just luck. but I'm not an expert on pushy's. most of my riding experience and working on Bikes is with Motor Bikes.

Dominic

Jun 4, 2018
Concord, ca
FWIW. I have the 2017 expert Levo and i’m actually glad I didn’t have a chance to get or demo the 2018 carbon line.

I LOVE my bike. Gets me out on the trails that I was honestly a bit lazy to ride before On my stumpy. Now I’m out riding every day and having more fun than ever before. There are some really great deals to had on the 2017’s.

JKSC

Jun 12, 2018
Stourbridge
Hi Mountie, Strange you should ask that! I broke the chain last week on the second bike that has done about 500+ miles, but it was only the link, I asked if the chain ok or need replacing and it was ok to put the link back in, the first bike did 1500 miles and it was fine. I will be upgrading the chain to a EMTB one next time its due, having it checked again mid June. Hope this helps?
I broke the chain twice on my first 2016 Levo Expert in under 1,000 miles on second occasion I up-rated the Chain .... I also had an S Works 2018 2 months ago from Brotherons, so far no Issues. Still have both Bikes too.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I broke the chain twice on my first 2016 Levo Expert in under 1,000 miles on second occasion I up-rated the Chain .... I also had an S Works 2018 2 months ago from Brotherons, so far no Issues. Still have both Bikes too.
How do they compare in your opinion?

I am coming from a 2016 Specialized Sirius Carbon Expert Disc. I never really rode it much and am still novice rider. One thing I notice right away is the Levo lacks the speed of the Sirius. If there is one thing I’d wish for is a bit more speed. Other than that to my novice feeling the Levo carbon expert I have feels like the ultimate do everything bike. In fact I want to get on it every minute I can spare. My new born been keeping me from riding the hell out of it.

I decided to sell my Sirius to a friend who’s interested because I can already tell it will not get ridden again. If it wasn’t for the wife protesting too much I wanted to get the S-Works. Any regrets now? None at this point. Every one of my friends I let ride the Levo instantly loved it. And these are some of the same guys who laughed at me when I mentioned getting an e-MTB. Out on the trails I have not had a single negative comment though. Not that I’d care what anyone thought, but surprising because my lbs disparaged and were unwilling to sell me an e-MTB even saying if I will be riding locally, it makes no sense. Made sense to me enough I just went elsewhere and got one. Their loss. I cant say enough how impressive the bike is. I wished for the red one but the satin silver matte carbon is what they had so that’s that.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I went for the expert and my mate got the s works, I've rode both and to me they ride the same.
The expert has carbon frame, carbon wheels, code brakes and ohlins forks, and is substantially cheaper.
I always tend not to buy the top priced model as this sport evolves so quickly it's out of date the next year and then you take a big hit if you intend on upgrading in a year of two to the newer models.
Just my thoughts ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles