Rocky Mountain powerplay

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
Hi,
I’m new to ebikes, hired a Levo the other week and loved it.
I’m looking in to a altitude powerplay, does anyone here have one or no anything about them?
Very minimal info and tests on google. The norco sight was a option but I’m 6’2” and they don’t do a XL.

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Good friend of mine is deciding on what his first eMTB will be, he's a competitive cyclist and is has his parents have owned a bike store for 20 years. He is all about geometry and tech, and his current #1 choice is the Altitude Powerplay. He's ridden my DeVinci (Shimano drive), the Norco, and Specialized Levo and he says the Rocky is the best of them all. I have not ridden the Rocky but he says the engagement/disengagment of the motor is the most seamless of them all, plus it comes with a 630watt bettery which is a bonus.

Geometry is identical to the regular Altitude, which he rode as well, and considering the Altitude was specifically designed for the North Shore of Vancouver, it's ideal for around here (steep, rocky, rooty, shit your pants kind of trails)

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
I work at a shop that sells PowerPlay. My favorite eMTB so far. We have Kona, Giant, Focus (well, used to, they pulled out of USA) and I've been riding every eMTB I can get my hands on. The Rocky Mountain PowerPlay bikes are so seamless. Just instant and smooth power added to your pedal, no surges, stalls, or jumpiness. AND regular geometry is something to smile about after conquering a hill.

We attended a detailed couple days of classes to become PowerPlay dealers, and the tech behind their system is first rate. 48v vs 36 v, a Hall-field sensor for real-time torque sensing, no nylon or composite parts in the drive, lower RPM motor, higher torque, natural pedaling and power at all cadence, it's dialed.

At 6'2" Rocky's XL should be perfect, and you can go with Altitude at 27.5 wheels, or Instinct with 29" wheels (or 27+)

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
Thanks sparrow

Good info, do you know what sort of battery ranges are? Eg. same as e8000 with same size battery?

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Thanks sparrow

Good info, do you know what sort of battery ranges are? Eg. same as e8000 with same size battery?
Fiddling around with bikes we have in stock, I’ve found tuning the PowerPlay down to 30/50/80 support (from 40/60/100 stock) gets same/same range and power. At 100% of power the Rocky is noticeably more powerful than any contender. In fact we de-tune the PowerPlay on demos for a eMTB newbie.

I run a 500wH battery, 210lb guy and get 2 hour hard trail rides on punchy elevation changing terrain. Same as I get on 500wH Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha motors. With a little mind towards economy 3 hours (5,000 feet) of riding works out with the 500wH. I’ll get a 630 battery on my next one, but haven’t had issues with 500 (not on any of my eMTB riding, any brands)

The 48v draws fewer amps, and also allows for charging times at half that of other bikes. Remarkable actually.

Some magazine is going to have to do some testing of all the top eMTBs to benchmark real-world output and range.

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
I think you’ve convinced me into one.
I’d be looking at the carbon 70 model.

I’m guessing the levels can be adjusted via a app?

Also is the battery difficult to remove if needed?

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123

The app is easy to make changes on the motor.

Batteries are a 35-40 minute swap out. NOT a quick release

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
When comparing battery size a watt hour is the same unit regardless of voltage. With the RM being a 48v system means it has less amp hours than a 36v battery.

I don’t understand how they are using a lower rpm high torque motor with higher voltage. Voltage generally determines RPM amps torque.

Altedem

May 27, 2018
Wales

Go for it it's an awesome bike.
I pick my altitude c70 up today.

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
No c70 in XL available in my country now.
I’ll have wait till the 2020 models come out which could be in a few months I heard.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I really like it, if you want a bike that feels like a bike it is definitely the best of the non fazua bikes that I have ridden. I still feel the weight when trying to lift the front end etc but I am rubbish at that sort of thing anyway so it might just be me!

If you want a bike to roll over stuff this is not it. If you want a bike that involves you then it is well worth a try. Think sports car vs SUV

sam

May 1, 2019
australia
I noticed on the Rocky Mountain site for sizing, 6’2” is at the end of scale for L and start for XL. ?
How do there sizings compare with other?

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I noticed on the Rocky Mountain site for sizing, 6’2” is at the end of scale for L and start for XL. ?
How do there sizings compare with other?

I'm 5:11 on a large and it is perfect. I would say they are shorter in reach than many so 6:2 seems high for the move to XL

nineT

Apr 16, 2020
Bavaria
A few words concerning the noise.
I replaced the Sram EX1 drivetrain by a mix of Shimano (chain Deore XT CN-M8100) and Garbaruk 11-52 casette.
Suddenly a lot less rattling from the drivetrain! Wow.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@sam another owner here. I know two Levo owners that had tried my Rocky and they offer me a swap. It’s a precision tool however, if you want something more forgiving worth take a look to the Instinct. Same motor but 29er and longer chainstays. However the Norco is another good option.

Go to the other manufacturers subforum there’s a thread of the RM owners.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles