Riser bars?

ajtkiwi

Feb 3, 2019
new zealand
I have a stock 17 levo alu comp and really struggling with steep descents.
Feel like I’m going to go over the bars and did before Xmas....broke 4 ribs.

Even off the seat and set back I’m struggling....prob a bit ginger due to the prev crash and technique (work in progress) was wondering whether higher bars might give me a better positions and help with confidence?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
possibly. as might a shorter stem but be aware the flip side is less weight (grip) on the front wheel until you compensate withy position/weight placement.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Possibly a silly question, but are you sure it's not too small a frame for you? If the head tube is too short it will push you closer to the front and give you the pre-otb feeling.

What size levo is it and how tall are you?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It could be a possibility to try and run a 29" front wheel, it will slacken the head angle, raise the front around 10 mm and give better roll-over capabilities. Downside will be while going back uphill with less weight on the front.

Karsten

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
@Dax has asked the question already but assuming all is correct regarding bike frame size have you had any formal MTB skills coaching? As silly as it sounds doing a "One on One" MTB skills session with a suitably qualified and experienced instructor will probably sort any issues that are affecting your position on the bike. They'll be able to look at your position on steep descents, climbs, cornering etc. and make the necessary adjustments to put you in a balanced position where you are in control of the bike and probably teach you some drills to help you make these positional changes second nature. If there's still a need to make adjustments to the bike cockpit they will be in best position to give advice specific to your needs.

ajtkiwi

Feb 3, 2019
new zealand
Possibly a silly question, but are you sure it's not too small a frame for you? If the head tube is too short it will push you closer to the front and give you the pre-otb feeling.

What size levo is it and how tall are you?
It’s a large and I’m 5.10

ajtkiwi

Feb 3, 2019
new zealand
@Dax has asked the question already but assuming all is correct regarding bike frame size have you had any formal MTB skills coaching? As silly as it sounds doing a "One on One" MTB skills session with a suitably qualified and experienced instructor will probably sort any issues that are affecting your position on the bike. They'll be able to look at your position on steep descents, climbs, cornering etc. and make the necessary adjustments to put you in a balanced position where you are in control of the bike and probably teach you some drills to help you make these positional changes second nature. If there's still a need to make adjustments to the bike cockpit they will be in best position to give advice specific to your needs.
Good call, I definitely need something like that especially after my spill

jeffintheusa

Dec 12, 2018
MA - North Shore
I suggest getting a dropper post. It makes a world of difference. I would not ride a bike without one for the exact reason you posted. Without one I feel like on any descent I could go over the bars. For sure, technique can compensate for this, but the simplest solution I found was to put a dropper post on every bike I own.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
That size is probably spot on for your height. I'm 5'9 and at the lower end of the spectrum for that frame size.
Yeah if the frame is too big, you’ll be stretched out too much with weight forward.
I’d try a shorter stem and or riserbars. Riser bars can be rolled back slightly too. Might pay to get a proper bike fit.
Could also be compression dampening making your forks dive to much into their travel. Try stiffening them up a bit so they don’t dive as much. Only a short term soloution if you got too much weight forward.
I’m on a large frame and I’m 6’1”, only problem I had recently was wen my forks decided to only give me 130mm instead of 150mm travel. The meg air spring was not equalising with the positive and holding pressure sucking the forks down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles