Last edited:

Buggbairn

Subscriber
Sep 13, 2021
Falkirk
I’ve already mounted the sks mudrocker
Protect you very good againts muddy weather

Hi Mark

How does the bottom of that mudguard get on with keeping the area of the frame/motor free from muddy build ups?

I have a friend who runs the mudhugger rear, it doesn't seem to give any protection to his frame linkages, quite often when stopped he just scoops debris out from that area.

Marky Mark

Jan 27, 2019
Leuven
Hi Mark

How does the bottom of that mudguard get on with keeping the area of the frame/motor free from muddy build ups?

I have a friend who runs the mudhugger rear, it doesn't seem to give any protection to his frame linkages, quite often when stopped he just scoops debris out from that area.
Hi there is a kind of extension that protects a bit that area. If you look at the second picture you may see it

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have just fitted the RRP pro guard standard mudguard but not tested it yet! Goes down past the linkage so should do the trick

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
This RRP pro guard looks fine. From the pictures, I suppose the mudguard is made of hard plastic? Do you have enough clearance between tyre and guard?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Mudhugger here. The only rear guard I've used in 20 years of mtb that actually works to keep mud off the rider, and stays in place. Haven't had one break or more in a good few years of use - even on rocky alpine descents.

The pro guard is pointlessly short and anything fixed with velcro like that SKS is just not going to stay in place.

Buggbairn

Subscriber
Sep 13, 2021
Falkirk
Mudhugger here. The only rear guard I've used in 20 years of mtb that actually works to keep mud off the rider, and stays in place. Haven't had one break or more in a good few years of use - even on rocky alpine descents.

The pro guard is pointlessly short and anything fixed with velcro like that SKS is just not going to stay in place.
I am by no means an expert but here's my opinion on the mudhugger, I find it a bit flappy and doesn't offer a lot of lower frame protection, I tried one but couldn't get used to it's size, it does an excellent job of keeping the riders back clear but at the expense of the bike frame.

I've seen riders combine the mudhugger with additional guards below them to cover both their backs and the frame, not the prettiest creation but effective.

I've ordered the Pro Guard and intend to use it combined with a simple Mucky Nutz Butt Fender. I have a Butt Fender on my Fat Bike and it protects me pretty well. On its own it offers no frame protection but a hard tail Fatbike has less moving parts needing a bit of winter cover.

My combo might work or it might not, I'll post my findings from muddy Scotland in a few weeks :)

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
RRP ProGuard Rear - Cable Tie (V2 which is the non glossy version) looks pretty awesome. It only protects the linkages though, your back will still be a mess on muddy days.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I was going to but have now removed for the summer 😂
I tried the cable tie down the bottom and slapped my forehead when I realised the chainstay moves independently from the seat stays so it was tightening and causing the guard to drag against the tyre. It seems to hold in place well without it. I'll put some more tape on the chainstay where it rubs though...

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
I've ordered the Pro Guard and intend to use it combined with a simple Mucky Nutz Butt Fender. I have a Butt Fender on my Fat Bike and it protects me pretty well. On its own it offers no frame protection but a hard tail Fatbike has less moving parts needing a bit of winter cover.

My combo might work or it might not, I'll post my findings from muddy Scotland in a few week

@Buggbairn did you get a chance to try that combo out, did it work?

I was pondering whether a Mk2 MudHugger would work well on the Rise, but the lower protection looks a bit underwhelming:

1670580807104.png

1670580910904.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles