Rise—Hugely inconsistent battery life

ElRosen

Jun 4, 2022
Bay Area, CA
Battery variability is huge. I have a new orbea rise m10. I took it on three virtually identical rides. All 3800 ft of climbing and 27ish miles. First ride I had around 10% battery left (one bar but I had been in one bar for a while). Second ride I had 55% battery left (just had dropped into three bars). Third ride I had 30% battery left (had dropped into two bars a while ago).

Some facts that might be helpful. On all rides I used only eco and my cadence was bw 80 and 100. I use these as evidence that my personal energy output was very similar. I charged all overnight and then topped all off in the morning a couple of days later (the battery showed red when plugged in a couple of days after initial charges). My buddy who uses a rise but is 30 pounds lighter has matched the upper number (50ish % remaining) on same ride with me. His is consistent.

Is this type of variability 55 percent left one day and 15 percent another on same ride) normal? Does it suggest a problem with the battery or maybe the charger or display (shimano sc-e-7000)? IF this is normal variability it makes it very hard to predict if the batter will last on a ride!

Any advice?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
That seems unusual - I've found my battery life incredibly predictable. What affects it most is your cadence - if you slow down your cadence it gives you less assistance (obviously) but this does translate into longer range.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I saw reports of the battery charge level dropping when left on the charger too long. Try verifying you are truly at 100% at the start.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I saw reports of the battery charge level dropping when left on the charger too long. Try verifying you are truly at 100% at the start.
This is definitely one of the worst things for ebike batteries. I always set a timer so can unplug as soon as it is fully charged. I don’t know why the manufacturers don’t have auto shut off on the chargers when fully charged.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
If you read this

If you read this thread there is a discussion about this and i am 99% sure it is a standard part of lithium batteries as the attached article in my post states. Unless you take it right off the charger and ride, if you leave it for a day or two - plugged in or not, you are likely to lose between 5 and 14% of charge - this won't show on the standard battery meter which will only drop one bar below 80% - I suspect a lot of people are setting off thinking their battery is 100% when in fact is isn't. Only a garmin device will give the exact battery % I think.

ElRosen

Jun 4, 2022
Bay Area, CA
If you read this

If you read this thread there is a discussion about this and i am 99% sure it is a standard part of lithium batteries as the attached article in my post states. Unless you take it right off the charger and ride, if you leave it for a day or two - plugged in or not, you are likely to lose between 5 and 14% of charge - this won't show on the standard battery meter which will only drop one bar below 80% - I suspect a lot of people are setting off thinking their battery is 100% when in fact is isn't. Only a garmin device will give the exact battery % I think.
I’ve now tested my battery charge after sitting a day and a week. Surprisingly it was at 100 percent (didn’t lost any charge) both times. So it does not appear that my issue is related to the battery losing charge before I ride.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I’ve now tested my battery charge after sitting a day and a week. Surprisingly it was at 100 percent (didn’t lost any charge) both times. So it does not appear that my issue is related to the battery losing charge before I ride.

I tested this myself and despite my earlier posts, I was mistaken. I charged for 2 days from 55% and when I turned it off the battery was 100%. I also tried charging from about 75% to 100%. Stopped. Then plugged back in for another day, it stayed at 100%. So my battery (or firmware) do not suffer from this after all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles