Rim tape, what a carry on

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I reckon my problem is the valves not sealing properly and allowing air under the tape and through the spoke nipples.
imma get some new valves and test this theory
There are tons of good options. Many are pretty inexpensive. I'll include this picture only because I've had the most luck with rubber seals that are in the form of a cone, such as the seals on the far right side of this variety. This design seems to "wedge" into the rim hole with the best seal.

71RJd9wzX9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
There are tons of good options. Many are pretty inexpensive. I'll include this picture only because I've had the most luck with rubber seals that are in the form of a cone, such as the seals on the far right side of this variety. This design seems to "wedge" into the rim hole with the best seal.

View attachment 119067
agree, my valves have flat rubber seals and not a cone design, this means when you tighten it down the rubber 'tacos' and I reckon lets the air under the tape.
was gonna buy Peaty's rasta valves cos they look sick !

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
agree, my valves have flat rubber seals and not a cone design, this means when you tighten it down the rubber 'tacos' and I reckon lets the air under the tape.
I've always made a 20mm square 'washer' from old inner tube rubber, pierced centrally, and pushed the valve through it so there's more rubber to compress and seal between the valve base and the inner rim. Works a treat.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Haha! I was just looking at those on Amazon!
I think I'll try Liteone's just cause they're cheap. I put inserts in and want to try valves with offset holes. My current valves get a bit blocked.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wind three layers of ptfe tape* around the valve seat where it contacts the rim. Never had a leak since.

Note* It is also called "plumber's tape" - because they use it to seal the threads on compression fittings. My Dad told me that when he was installing fittings in a place that he never wanted to get back to (under the floor, behind a bath etc), he always used ptfe tape even on compression fittings that are not supposed to leak - ever. He did this because it only has to happen once and the time and expense of fixing it afterwards was out of all proportion to the time and cost of using the tape.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wind three layers of ptfe tape* around the valve seat where it contacts the rim. Never had a leak since.

Note* It is also called "plumber's tape" - because they use it to seal the threads on compression fittings. My Dad told me that when he was installing fittings in a place that he never wanted to get back to (under the floor, behind a bath etc), he always used ptfe tape even on compression fittings that are not supposed to leak - ever. He did this because it only has to happen once and the time and expense of fixing it afterwards was out of all proportion to the time and cost of using the tape.
Some know it as Teflon tape. There’s also a Teflon paste, used for plumbing threads, that emits a very strong oder. Offensive to some but I loved the smell of it …probably not good to inhale. 😳

Here’s some items and tools that I use for tubeless tires.
IMG_6458.jpeg

I’m slowly switching over to Filmore valves.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Some know it as Teflon tape. There’s also a Teflon paste, used for plumbing threads, that emits a very strong oder. Offensive to some but I loved the smell of it …probably not good to inhale. 😳

Hear some items and tools that I use for tubeless tires.
View attachment 119115
That's some kit there 👌. Them tyre levers look like even I couldn't break them. Lot more to the tubeless game than everyone thinks. Interesting to read all the tips.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That's some kit there 👌. Them tyre levers look like even I couldn't break them. Lot more to the tubeless game than everyone thinks. Interesting to read all the tips.
After snapping a few plastic tire levers and accidentally scratching some rims with metal-inserted tire levers, I decided that the CushCore levers were a better choice. A generous bike mechanic showed me a few tricks and techniques as well.

The custom tire holder/garbage bin helped a lot also😉. On average I probably change one tire per2 weeks for neighbours, friends, family. Most of them donate or provide their own sealant. Having a shop compressor is pretty handy also for quickly popping those beads.

The occasional person feels compelled to pay me but I don’t accept. They give me a gift-card instead for a LBS. Usually I order another tool…and the cycle continues.🙄

I’m starting to gather a few spare rims also as everyone upgrades their wheels.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After snapping a few plastic tire levers and accidentally scratching some rims with metal-inserted tire levers, I decided that the CushCore levers were a better choice. A generous bike mechanic showed me a few tricks and techniques as well.

The custom tire holder/garbage bin helped a lot also😉. On average I probably change one tire per2 weeks for neighbours, friends, family. Most of them donate or provide their own sealant. Having a shop compressor is pretty handy also for quickly popping those beads.

The occasional person feels compelled to pay me but I don’t accept. They give me a gift-card instead for a LBS. Usually I order another tool…and the cycle continues.🙄

I’m starting to gather a few spare rims also as everyone upgrades their wheels.
Sorted neighbours mums puncture last week I got a voucher for a fish supper it was lovely.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah

Hear some items and tools that I use for tubeless tires.
View attachment 119115
Oh, wow. At first I thought you were a gynecologist! 😆

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Was it the small sealant bottle or that funny-looking tool?

I’m a nothinglogist btw😉
It was the collection of funny-looking tools and specialized objects. My jokes are often in poor taste, and/or not funny. I'm frequently the only one to get a chuckle out of them.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It was the collection of funny-looking tools and specialized objects. My jokes are often in poor taste, and/or not funny. I'm frequently the only one to get a chuckle out of them.
Same here sometimes. I could solve that by not saying anything at all…but that wouldn’t be funny or helpful or risky or thoughtful or…🤔

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles