Rim protection

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Whilst doing the Borrowdale bash (it's rocky AF) I got a pinch flat and dented the rim, this was about 6 weeks ago. decided to put some rim protection in there to stop this happening again.
I nicked the sidewall yesterday and it won't seal, so too it apart today to clean up ready to fit a Tannus armour & tube when it comes
to my surprise, the rim protector had turned the sealant into little balls and made it stick to the inside of the tyre, there was also very little left of it after only such a short time.
I actually put 120ml of sealant in there too, I wouldn't normally put that much in but had trouble getting it to seal up at first, I originally had the insert taped together so it was stretched tight around the rim but this meant no sealant got towards the beads and it would just go flat, in the end I popped the tyre off and just undid the Velcro strap so it was not stretched around the rim and just loose , it sealed up fine then.
but it seems to destroy the sealant in no time!
20210623_161357.jpg

Just so I can get some more life out of my tyre now it has a cut in the sidewall going to give the Tannus a go to see what it's like.

failing that, what other rim protection is on offer that will work tubeless and won't dry up the sealant into little balls so fast?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
What sort of tyres are you running ? You might find you can do without the rim protector by running a tyre with a stronger sidewall, like Maxxis DoubleDown. I've had excellent results running those tyres, set up tubeless and low-ish pressures as well. The tyres just offer heaps of support, no need for tyre inserts

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I would guess that the tannus has nothing to do with the little balls (happy to be corrected) but more the air from the tyre not sealing has caused the sealant to dry out. Try a puncture patch on the inside of the tyre to seal it then try again.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I would guess that the tannus has nothing to do with the little balls (happy to be corrected) but more the air from the tyre not sealing has caused the sealant to dry out. Try a puncture patch on the inside of the tyre to seal it then try again.

the tannus hasn't been fitted yet, so yeah you're right its got nothing to do with the little balls.

I just thought the 2 were related, you can almost see the outline of where the orange rim protector I had fitted has been in the tyre, by the outline of little rubber balls
What sort of tyres are you running ? You might find you can do without the rim protector by running a tyre with a stronger sidewall, like Maxxis DoubleDown. I've had excellent results running those tyres, set up tubeless and low-ish pressures as well. The tyres just offer heaps of support, no need for tyre inserts

Minion DHR II 2.6 EXO+. it does sound like a sound idea using tyres with thicker casings I think I'll try it next time
problem right now is I spent 2 hours yesterday looking for the tyre I wanted and found nothing, there seems to be an infinite number of combinations of tyre specs and all the ones I wanted were sold out! so I just ordered the tannus and will use a tube for now & see how it goes

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Whilst doing the Borrowdale bash (it's rocky AF) I got a pinch flat and dented the rim, this was about 6 weeks ago. decided to put some rim protection in there to stop this happening again.

Or you could just increase the tire pressure so you don't get pinch flats.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Hey brother.

I’ve only ever seen sealant turn to squirrel balls if you inflate with co2. I’m betting that’s what you did!?! Co2 is super cold and fucks the sealant. You gotta make sure if you use co2 you do it in spurts and have the valve up top so it’s not just freezing the sealant liquid pooling at the bottom.

yep, I put a bacon strip in the nick and put a shot of co2 in as I couldn't be bothered pumping 100 strokes with my little pump!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles