Rim Tape.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
So my rear rim has failed the tubeless test and the rim tape is leaky so what does one suggest I replace it with ?

The biggest problem I have for now is the rim is like Teflon, I can't get anything to stick to it, gave it a good clean with methylated spirts and tried gorilla tape and gaffa tape, both very adhesive in general but won't stick at all in the rim !!

I also have 3M tape that I have made my spoked motorbike rim tubeless with and that doesn't stick either and that's stickier than a sticky thing winning first place in a being sticky competition.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Try IPA. (or disc brake cleaner) or if you have neither, washing up liquid and rinse/dry thoroughly with clear warm water.
Meths can leave an oily film

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
The tape doesn't have to be sticked to the rim, for example tape on stock Roval wheels is not sticky and seals just fine.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I agree with the comments above, isopropyl alcohol the tits out of the rim, then do it again, I use mucoff Tim tape, it’s like shit to a blanket.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Often it's not, but sometimes some products can contain isopropyl alcohol.
Ah-ha! Every day is a learning day. In which case I will just state that 70% iso-propyl alcohol works! It is my general purpose brake cleaner, disc cleaner, and cleaning-up-spilled-brake-fluid cleaner.

It also shifts pine tree sap from your car's paintwork, leaving no trace!! It works whether the sap is fresh or sun dried and has been on for six months. It worked when everything else I tried failed (petrol, meths, white spirit, turpentine, even a product called "sticky stuff remover")

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles