Ries & Muller .mountain with Rollhof and Belt drive

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Had a very short test ride today :love: :love: :love: Cant believe the gear change OK a bike is a bike and most do the job we want but the Rollhof gearbox is a dream For any of you that have driven Old cars its a bit like comparing an old 1930s crash box with a modern F1 flappy paddle its just superb.
The derailleur is dead yippeeee
Going for a longer test next week ...so you lucky chaps that have one already what should I include in the spec??
Kiox or Nyon display ? i need OS maps so ??
Hang the cost...take it out of my care home savings!!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Went for a test ride on a Super Delight GT as the chassis and suspension are similar to the Off Road ....but with two batteries and panier carriers mud guards and an anchor for a lock. It was a lump. @ 32 kg vs my Focus Jam @22Kg
I knew it was not going to be anything like the Off Road but gave me a chance to test the Rolhoff and belt drive .
Ignoring the huge weight of the bike I liked the belt drive , quiet and no drag. the Rollhof takes some getting used to but I can see that in the mud it would be great. Do I need 14 gears when intermittent (derailleur )10 have done OK
Bike was very comfortable and fitted me well.
Bosche motor is very noisy compared to my Shimano but more powerful. Do I need more power???
Unfortunately the bike was not prepared well...Mudguards loose and mysterious rattles "somewhere down below" Brakes were very spongy ..horrid
Shop have offered to check over the whole bike (so they should),remove one of the batteries ,pannier carriers ,lock and mudguards to reduce the weight to near the off roads 26kg will try again next week.
IMG_20210802_125315007_HDR.jpg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
So rode it again in a lightened configuration :love: and inspit of a puncture (not tubeless on the demonstrator). I bought one !
Now waiting delivery. Already delayed to end Oct ....mud time

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice, the R & M's are great bikes, I really like how they dont just copy everyone else and have some innovative options. Very well put together too

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Question. Is there a water ingress problem with Bosch gen4 CX ?
Seen a number of forum reports?
I do ride in the rain , puddles and huge mud... never jetwash but always wash after muddy rides ..Shimano has been troublefree hope the Bosch will be .

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Question. Is there a water ingress problem with Bosch gen4 CX ?
Seen a number of forum reports?
I do ride in the rain , puddles and huge mud... never jetwash but always wash after muddy rides ..Shimano has been troublefree hope the Bosch will be .

I’ve had great luck with mine. I kept getting caught in the monsoon rains the past couple of months; and by monsoon, I mean that quite literally. Raining so hard that the roads and trails become streams. No issues thus far. Thankfully, monsoon season is over.

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
The performance line bearings guy seems to suggest that the Bosch gen 4 is the best motor for UK conditions at the moment, compared to Yamaha and Shimano and Brose and earlier Bosch stuff.
Fingers crossed eh?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles