WARNING Belt Drive on EMTBs

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Ive Read that it doesn't match that well. Its more noisy
sander ,that’s nonsense,I have been mixing and matching transmissions since the late 80s,(yes I am that old 🤣)As long as the shimano and sram are the same speed transmissions I have never ever had a problem,Aftermarket chainrings ,sram chains (by far better than shimano) and shimano /sram cassettes,they all work together.Just keep them clean,and well adjusted.
At the moment Steel burgtec chainring,XO1 chain and slx 12speed cassette now just over 1700 miles and quiet and smooth ,still under 0.5 on the chain guage.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Surely you could find a belt the right size and length from a motor factors supplier , probably at a fraction of the cost

Wodger63

Apr 18, 2022
Australia
I'm with there was previous damage to the belt before it snapped.
Belts have been used in many diverse applications reliably not to be considered as a fail point.
I did 10K klms on a flat bar road bike as my transport to work, rain, hail and shine, never had an issue with the Gates belt or the Shimano 8 speed internal hub for that matter.
When a Pinion E motor/gearbox belt drive bike becomes available here in Australia, I'll be all over it like a fat kid in a lollie shop.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
sander ,that’s nonsense,I have been mixing and matching transmissions since the late 80s,(yes I am that old 🤣)As long as the shimano and sram are the same speed transmissions I have never ever had a problem,Aftermarket chainrings ,sram chains (by far better than shimano) and shimano /sram cassettes,they all work together.Just keep them clean,and well adjusted.
At the moment Steel burgtec chainring,XO1 chain and slx 12speed cassette now just over 1700 miles and quiet and smooth ,still under 0.5 on the chain guage.
Yes ik you can mix and match. I run gx axs and xt chain cassette to. And im all in for better longer lasting chain if its still shifts fast and smooth.
Ive just Read on multiple topic that it shifts with more noice

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Yes ik you can mix and match. I run gx axs and xt chain cassette to. And im all in for better longer lasting chain if its still shifts fast and smooth.
Ive just Read on multiple topic that it shifts with more noice
That may be true in some cases Sander,I’m more inclined to believe it’s down to the way some folks set up and use/abuse their transmissions ,I’ve seen some appalling shifting over the years,shifting under load,crashing through multiple changes .I’m not suggesting you do that,but I am amazed at the ridiculously low mileages some of the guys on this forum get out of their gear trains.
All the best

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
2000 miles on my Ries & Muller Delight Mountain Rollhof and Gates belt my belt snapped during a mild rock garden trail nothing dramatic but miles from anywhere fortunately mate rescued me but quite a walk with heavy bike .
In well over 4500 miles with chains and cassettes I never got stranded as one can usually make a repair on the trail.....With belts ...no chance unless you carry a spare.
No question about the ease of cleaning with belt and gearbox BUT I seriously in the event of a breakage you are stuffed .
Another major problem has been sourcing a replacement belt..... My dealer does not stock and the so called suppliers and dealers did not stock the right size.....Finally sourced from Gates main distributer in Germany .... EMTBs Gearbox YES Belt NO

View attachment 119844
How hard is keeping a spare on hand and taking a spare on the long trips 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have a city bike I built with Gates drivetrain. I need to replace my Hub and switch from Sram to Shimano. Unfortunately I have to replace all components as I had an old system which is no longer supported.
That sh.t is expensive!
Well I was surprised anyway.
A CDX belt costs about €100

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles