Ride out picture thread

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Warm here so I took a ride to the Columbia River today during a break to cool off. It's like 2 minutes away, and it's cold!
IMG_1373.JPG

30ah of battery on board got me there and back no problem.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Some pictures of my yesterdays tour and trail scouting. I really like the Canyon Spectral:ON 8.0!

I'm with you Dean, trail scouting is my favorite activity. In the past it was easy to use existing trail networks and follow the signs knowing that the terrain ahead and their ultimate ending point was pretty well set with signs and maps so that you didn't have to do much actual route finding, more like route following.

I have always been attracted to going off the beaten path though and my adventures have led me to some pretty disheartening dead ends and the only way out is to back track. Murphy's law dictated that was more often than not an uphill grind. Since I have been riding my eMTB I find myself not caring at all if I am facing that obstacle, take a look at my GPS for an alternative route possibility, and cruise back up to the top no problem and no matter how steep and funky the trail might be.

Where I live there are a lot of old trail systems scattered around the area that were created by the local moto enthusiasts. Some of these trails have been adopted into use as MTB trails but many lie fallow in the hills. As they are not on any maps local knowledge is key to even finding the trail head and as most haven't been maintained in years route finding from there is sketchy at best. The ability to scout out these trails without any thought in your head as to the bike itself has been a lot of fun and has led to some really choice trails that are ribbon thin and take you to some great views after riding in prime forest.

Of course range is always an issue as you don't want to be at that dead end with a dead battery but battery management is an art form riding eMTB's that we are all perfecting in our own image eh? I would dare say any Joey can end up with a heavy bike to deal with after draining the battery miles from home but not being that guy/girl is not that hard to accomplish.

This is the reason I have the ability to have either 520wh, 1,040wh or 1560wh capacity on my bikes by using one or two batteries. At full capacity my bike is about 53lbs. which is still portage able and as my bike has a low speed/high torque throttle if pedaling comes to push it easily alleviates the weight of the bike and going up is pretty easy.

I also have an any road eBike that I use in a similar fashion to do extended tours on the miles and miles of logging roads in the area that has the same battery capacity options available, using the same 20ah aux battery.

IMG_1090.JPG

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
You up there this weekend Rob? Where else in Scotland are you planning to ride?
Just there for 2 days - back home now. Did Innerleithen on Weds and went to Fort William yesterday aiming to hit the trails but Gondala was closed! So we did a trail up to about 2k feet by the side of Ben Nevis.

Would love to have done more but had no time!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just there for 2 days - back home now. Did Innerleithen on Weds and went to Fort William yesterday aiming to hit the trails but Gondala was closed! So we did a trail up to about 2k feet by the side of Ben Nevis.

Would love to have done more but had no time!

Cool. What trails did you ride in Inners? Trail centre/DH track side of the town or Golfie or a bit of both?
Give me a shout next time you're up and I can show you around that area (If I have a working Ebike)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Cool. What trails did you ride in Inners? Trail centre/DH track side of the town or Golfie or a bit of both?
Give me a shout next time you're up and I can show you around that area (If I have a working Ebike)
I’ve no idea what they were called! I was with mctrail rider (YouTuber) who gave me the tour. Parked by the uplift (Adrenaline uplift?) the. Headed through the village up to the trails. I’ll get a vid up soon and I’m sure the trail names will be mentioned ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... sounds like he took you over to the golfie (Caberston Forest). I'd put money on him taking you down "Flat White". TBF I don't know the names of all the trails. But I'll definitely recognise them. ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Today was the first day I took my Lab x Collie on a ride. She loved it, me not so much after spending 45 minutes looking for her after she fucked off into the trees after a squirrel...

He she is, pawsing for breath on the Verderers.
IMG_3184.JPG

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A word to the wise; she damaged two of her footpads, so be careful depending on the trails you ride. The Verderers is pretty rocky in places.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles