Rhain E-MTB

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
Hey Jackson

Shaping up as a very promising package

I know it's not emtb related but earlier this year I was looking into Gravel bikes here in Aus and came across these guys Grove Bike Co - Gravel | Cyclocross | All-Road

Their model looks to be very close to what you are attempting - good quality / reasonable pricing / direct and personal service

The owner Dave Musgrove is a passionate bike man - you could do worse than to pick his brain

Most other 'boutique' brands in Aus tend to be very high end only

Cheers

Thanks mate! I'm certainly hoping it will!

I've never heard of them until now but I love their concepts of the two bikes but offering multiple setups for different purposes is a great idea in my opinion. I might have to flick him an email.

Cheers

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
Well, just some feedback. I'm all for good value everything, and have bought such a bike myself. I don't see cf as good value; I think it is more fickle, harder to live with, and only 500gm lighter. Also, I would have thought x fusion dropper is better than KS; better and cheaper and they just work, unlike KS. I've lost interest at this point, but I do wish you well and success.

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand where your coming from. It was my vision from the start to do a carbon frame and given the opportunity I had to go for it. I've owned xc and dh bikes that were carbon and I've had no problems with them over the years.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Happy trails!

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
***First Prototype Frame Pictures***

Hi guys, long time between drinks! First pictures of the frame are here! We are also working on a downtube protector that will cover the battery and link up with the motor skid plate to offer as much protection as possible. We have the option of running remote lockout for the rear (never had a bike with so I'm not 100% sold) that's what the cable on the top tube is for. Hopefully by the end of the year we will have two frames here for testing and demo's before we get really going with production!

Happy Trails,

Jackson

2d16721c6a2ea76624306dd1102a0429.jpg

363f7a48d56f05a95f3b6e9b3355d08c.jpg

e5c99bc6da343a65a888e2129547c8dc.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Nice looking lines , motor tilt gives flow. Good choice going to a horst link. Chainstay doesnt look overly long too. Can't wait to see the full geo on this. If it fits a dropper post with a good amount of drop and the seat angle is 76 degrees or more i think it could be a top option even without considering an entry level price

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
Nice looking lines , motor tilt gives flow. Good choice going to a horst link. Chainstay doesnt look overly long too. Can't wait to see the full geo on this. If it fits a dropper post with a good amount of drop and the seat angle is 76 degrees or more i think it could be a top option even without considering an entry level price
Thanks mate.
At the moment it's sitting at 66 degree head angle with 74 degree seat angle and 450mm chainstays. Can accept a 150mm travel dropper post also, which comes standard on our bike. I'll have a Geo sheet in the next few days.

Cheers

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
I need some feedback. We are playing with the idea of a carbon or alloy hardtail (I'm a sucker for hardtails) mid drive with integrated battery and 150mm travel front as well. Thoughts?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll have the theoretical advantage of being able to produce at a cheaper price.

My first two emtb's were hardtail. I was convinced I didn't need FS ..

Eventually decided I needed an FS as I wasn't good enough to ride a hardtail where/how I ride and now wish I'd started with an FS.

A lot of the hardtail advantages are reduced with an EMTB - weight, power loss under pedal. I think a lot of people will love the idea, but how many will actually buy it ?

BUT - to lots of new people or people who don't ride silly things - it could tick all the boxes and be a hot seller.

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
You'll have the theoretical advantage of being able to produce at a cheaper price.

My first two emtb's were hardtail. I was convinced I didn't need FS ..

Eventually decided I needed an FS as I wasn't good enough to ride a hardtail where/how I ride and now wish I'd started with an FS.

A lot of the hardtail advantages are reduced with an EMTB - weight, power loss under pedal. I think a lot of people will love the idea, but how many will actually buy it ?

BUT - to lots of new people or people who don't ride silly things - it could tick all the boxes and be a hot seller.
Certainly alloy works out cheaper to produce. I've seen a few brands release hardtails but I always thought was pointless as like you said you have the power to just motor along anyways. I'd love to do a titanium hardtail e-bike of sorts but that will be challenge and a half and $$$ as I just bought an aggressive titanium hardtail frame through our supplier which I'm going build in the meantime to ride with the non ebikes haha.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
My musings

Aluminium over Carbon and or Titanium all day for eMTBs
A 1kg weight saving has very little effect on performance
Cost significantly less
Durability (over carbon) significantly higher

Hardtail eMTB very limited market in Aus for serious MTBers
Most Hardtail 'eMountain Bikes' I see are used by urban commuters or for bike path trundles on a weekend

But as @Zimmerframe mentioned, you never know what people might gravitate towards

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
My musings

Cost significantly less

Most Hardtail 'eMountain Bikes' I see are used by urban commuters or for bike path trundles on a weekend

But as @Zimmerframe mentioned, you never know what people might gravitate towards

Having said this ^ I do agree the Carbon Frame in the photos above is sexy as f#ck :)

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
My musings

Cost significantly less

From doing a bit of talking to locals and local bike shops over the weekend alloy does seem to be the choice for emtb's which did get me thinking whether carbon was really the right choice to go down. We will work with our manufacturer to see if we can redo the alloy option we had also.I love the lines on the carbon frame but if it is a turn off we may do it as a top spec bike or something like that.
Thanks for your input guys!

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Yeah I am so concerned about looking like a "non serious" eMTB'er that I decorate my HT before riding down to the cafe....
I would say tho, to stay on subject, that as a manufacturer you'll be able to fleece alot more money out of serious punters that can and will spend 40% more for a rear shock weather they need it or not so it's probably a good strategy
However, as a boutique manufacturer, you have the opportunity to make an alloy HT with top end components at a lower cost which opens your market to people who won't spend 40% more on rear sus.... people you'd normally miss.
It may well be just me that thinks this - I have a ute and it's actually not a 4wd....yep.
If you do build such a thing, I'd love to have a look at it.
20201030_101727.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
***First Prototype Frame Pictures***

Hi guys, long time between drinks! First pictures of the frame are here! We are also working on a downtube protector that will cover the battery and link up with the motor skid plate to offer as much protection as possible. We have the option of running remote lockout for the rear (never had a bike with so I'm not 100% sold) that's what the cable on the top tube is for. Hopefully by the end of the year we will have two frames here for testing and demo's before we get really going with production!

Happy Trails,

Jackson

View attachment 42569
View attachment 42570
View attachment 42571
Is that a Lightcarbon frame? I tried to get them to do a custom frame a while back, have you altered the stock Geo? IIRC is was pretty conservative

Rhain E-MTB.Co

Sep 16, 2020
Brisbane
Is that a Lightcarbon frame? I tried to get them to do a custom frame a while back, have you altered the stock Geo? IIRC is was pretty conservative

Nah it's not frok them. I did contact them and they were not very willing to change the geo.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Yeah I am so concerned about looking like a "non serious" eMTB'er that I decorate my HT before riding down to the cafe....
I would say tho, to stay on subject, that as a manufacturer you'll be able to fleece alot more money out of serious punters that can and will spend 40% more for a rear shock weather they need it or not so it's probably a good strategy
However, as a boutique manufacturer, you have the opportunity to make an alloy HT with top end components at a lower cost which opens your market to people who won't spend 40% more on rear sus.... people you'd normally miss.
It may well be just me that thinks this - I have a ute and it's actually not a 4wd....yep.
If you do build such a thing, I'd love to have a look at it. View attachment 43223
A ute with no 4wd ? That makes me a little sad inside .

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Nah it's not frok them. I did contact them and they were not very willing to change the geo.
Yeah they where very unresponsive with me
I'm sorry, Lightcarbon had brought you a bad experience. However, as for the geometric structure of the frame, please understand that our geometric data is fixed. It is impossible for carbon fiber frame to modify the geometric data as easily as aluminum alloy frame, because all frames are produced by fixed molds, so that the produced frames can meet the quality requirements.

If you want to change several data, you need to change the mold. The cost of a mold is about USD$20000 for first size, and the second size are about USD$10000. Therefore, changing the mold or changing the geometric structure requires quantity more than 100 sets or pay the mold cost,,

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
I was hopeful that a small Australian company was going to bring a good product to market for a reasonable price. I probably would have bought one. But after a great start to to this thread, the subject just seemed to fall off a cliff.
PM to you, check it pls.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
I was hopeful that a small Australian company was going to bring a good product to market for a reasonable price. I probably would have bought one. But after a great start to to this thread, the subject just seemed to fall off a cliff.
It's a shame this project seems to have stopped, but just so you know I've developed this bike in Sydney, and have had our own tooling made. Expecting the first shipment end of June

www.vmgbikes.com/typhon

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
It's a shame this project seems to have stopped, but just so you know I've developed this bike in Sydney, and have had our own tooling made. Expecting the first shipment end of June

www.vmgbikes.com/typhon
Very good EMTB,

Now, M510 motor with 820wh battery is a mainstream. We have also developed a new frame like this,
But our recommended travel is only 150-160mm, weigh is about 3300g, It's Not that we don't want to be lighter, but after the test, we found that this weight is the best for our shape.

LCE28-2 (6) - 副本.jpg

E28.png

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
Are the Bafang motors serviceable to replace bearings and seals?

Parts are available through various online sources, and I can source them as well.

People have published videos showing how to tear down Bafang motors so if you're handy and the motor is outside warranty you can do this yourself.

I think I'll start my own forum thread, as I feel bad posting on Rhain's thread

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles