Review .. a chain guide that does not break

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
In all my years of riding, I have never seen a chain guide so poor as the stock version on the Decoy.

I have gone through 3 of them:

1. When the bolts backed out (as per YT notice) the PLASTIC mounts broke (ordered replacement)
2. I snapped a chain last season and the PLASTIC mounts broke on the replacement (ordered another replacement)
3. Upon installing chain guide #3 .. the PLASTIC mounts snapped and yes I was using a torque wrench (brand new .. in the garbage)

So chainguide #4 .. sorry 3 strikes and your out (anybody see a trend above :unsure:)

If anybody is looking for a new chainguide, I highly recommend the new OneupComponents chain guide for E-Bikes.

I installed one a few weeks ago, and YES could actually torque it to proper specs ... and the bolts actually came with Loctite applied.

And wait for this engineering marvel :sneaky: ... the mounts are made of ALUMINUM ... not plastic.

OK some may feel the plastic makes sense as it will break rather than do damage to the motor mounts, BUT when a chainguide snaps during installation using proper torque specs (snapped at about 2 nm of force) there is a serious QC issue in the manufacturing process.

A chainguide is something I never thought would give me grief and also empty my wallet (that money could have been invested in beer ) :LOL:. It looks like this one might actually last.

oneup-steps-emtb-chainguide-011220-07005-web.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Over time and personal experience (but added to by this Forum), I have formed a poor opinion of e13 kit in general. I was first sucked in by a five year warranty on a wheelset. Wow! they must be confident I thought. Much good that did me! (not). :(

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Do you really need a front chain guide ? I am prepared to be educated but my last bike never came with one and i never lost the chain in over 2000 miles. My new bike came with one and on the 1st ride clogged up with mud and jammed the chain :rolleyes: . I removed it on the ride and its never going back on.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do you really need a front chain guide ? I am prepared to be educated but my last bike never came with one and i never lost the chain in over 2000 miles. My new bike came with one and on the 1st ride clogged up with mud and jammed the chain :rolleyes: . I removed it on the ride and its never going back on.
Similar story from me with the e13 chain guide on a YT Capra. The chain kept being derailed whilst shifting and jamming up against the frame. Once I had removed the chain guide, I fitted a Bionicon-type dangler and I never had another problem. And that was despite having a 2x set up and no clutch mech. I sold the e13 chain guide on eBay and got £17 for it (IIRC).

For single ring set ups, the narrow-wide chain ring, coupled with a clutch mech, was supposed to be one of the great benefits of 1x set ups in that it enabled such increased chain security that no chain guide was needed.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Similar story from me with the e13 chain guide on a YT Capra. The chain kept being derailed whilst shifting and jamming up against the frame. Once I had removed the chain guide, I fitted a Bionicon-type dangler and I never had another problem. And that was despite having a 2x set up and no clutch mech. I sold the e13 chain guide on eBay and got £17 for it (IIRC).

For single ring set ups, the narrow-wide chain ring, coupled with a clutch mech, was supposed to be one of the great benefits of 1x set ups in that it enabled such increased chain security that no chain guide was needed.
I think that was before they asked the chain to range across 11 or 12 cassette cogs and used smaller chainrings!!

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
E13 makes some decent stuff but their quality control is complete garbage. I don’t know how they are still in business with the amount of parts they must warranty.

I couldn’t keep the carbon wheels together on my Tues and had to replace them with WeAreOne’s after too many ruined bike park days. I keep waiting for the ones on my Capra to break but they have been flawless. Go figure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles