Resource for which trails allow eMTB?

ChipsNMud

Sep 3, 2021
Denver
Hello all. New member and proud owner of the Gen3 Specialized Turbo Levo. My wife and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our new eMTBs and have demoed many bike brands/versions over the past 3-4 years at various events/festivals. We have always gravitated back toward the Levo with Rocky Mountain being a close second based on our personal preference/demo rides. Some bikes were "tanks" and had a way to go before feeling like a bicycle, other's were nice, but felt unbalance. The Gen3 Tubo Levo is flat-out amazing (even more than Gen2) and with one final demo ride to confirm from the guys at the Specialized Boulder Event Center in Boulder, CO early this summer I pulled the trigger and finally purchased the bikes... We were VERY lucky/fortunate to get the last two S3/S4 sized bikes in the states after much digging and help from the Boulder Event Center crew and our LBS.

Anyway, unlike other parts of the world, the USA is rather "backwards" in their attitude toward eMTB's (one of several reasons I delayed purchasing until now)... Backwards as in you can be riding on one trail system with your eMTB and be perfectly legal to do so, then (literally) cross the road and it's now illegal?!? Some counties allow eMTB on "unimproved" trails while others only allow eMTB's on improved (paved) trails. Ugh. Very confusing and frustrating.

So my question: I am trying to figure out which trails in my local area allow eMTBs? I am located in Denver, Colorado. Sadly, Denver is probably more restrictive to eMTB's than most places due to the "snobby nose" syndrome (ignorance). Other parts of the USA, such as the excellent trails in Bentonville, AR allow all bikes on all trails, but not Colorado. I don't mind being restricted from a few trails, but I'd like to know where I can and can't ride before spending time/money to travel to the trails only to find out after-the-fact I can't ride my bike on anything other than concrete. I have various apps that don't seem to help much (eMTB shows "unknown" on most trail descriptions) and the only thing I've been able to figure out so far is that Douglas, CO allows eMTBs, but locations just north, such as Boulder, CO do not. Then I've even heard that the mecca of MOAB, UT doesn't even allow eMTB's on paved greenway trails? Seriously? Oh well, figured I'd try asking around online to see if I'm missing a vital resource for eMTB approved trails around me or anywhere in the States for that matter. Thanks!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Without actually knowing any answers to your questions ..you might find some information by re-posting in the USA section of the forum .
Living in the UK ( and in a remote rural location) the kind of access laws that restrict your riding dont really exist here ...
Scotland is utopia as you can pretty much ride any path / trail ..England & Wales lag behind in terms of ' legal ' access ..but Ive been riding mtb's & now emtb's for a combined 25 years on unmade paths in the country without too much hassle ..and then only from the rambling wooly hat brigade ..who I take absolutely no notice of at all ..
I hope things improve for you ..and from snippets that I read ..things are slowly getting better..

ChipsNMud

Sep 3, 2021
Denver
Thank You. I know I’m grasping at straws and there’s gotta be some centralized information on the topic, but I haven’t found it yet. If I do I’ll certainly share. It’s just mind numbing the backward thinking we have over hear regarding e-anything. I sincerely believe part of it has to do with the vast land mass we have on this side of the pond… We travel exclusively by automobile. With few exceptions, public transportation in any other form is nonexistent. I won’t get into the ebike debate as that’s been (irrationally) beat to death countless times. Eventually it will change, I just hope I can still ride when it does!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
In the western US, I doubt there are any bike paths where it’s not legal to ride an ebike, wether they’re paved or gravel. Single track is a very different story. All Colorado state parks and Jefferson county parks allow ebikes on single track. No one seems to be paying attention anyway

ChipsNMud

Sep 3, 2021
Denver
Thank you. Yes, from my research Jefferson CO does allow ebikes on ALL surfaces as you confirmed, but it’s the single track that gets confusing in other locations (why else own a mountain bike (“e” or not) if you can’t ride it on single track?). Hence my confusion. I would also agree most people don’t pay attention, especially if you are respectful which I am… We are all ambassadors to hikers or equestrians after all. However, it would be my luck to cross paths with a land owner/ranger/etc. and get fined. The Western US is more “radical” toward ebikes -vs- east of the Mississippi. So just trying to collect all the information I can. Especially since you will always run into someone who will question your “right” to ride an ebike because of their ignorance.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
My understanding is where it's not forbidden it's allowed as the bikes are legally considered same as bicycles.

I've heard of 2 places forbidding ebikes, don't ask me where can't remember. But I wonder what the legal implications of that are. Can you specifically deny ebikes but allow bikes as. I don't know much about US legislation in the matter. But generally if you can ride a bike you can ride an ebike.

In my country you can ride anywhere even off trails anywhere on anyone's land trail or off trail in the forest if you choose. The only exception is national parks where it's specifically forbidden.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
My understanding is where it's not forbidden it's allowed as the bikes are legally considered same as bicycles.

I've heard of 2 places forbidding ebikes, don't ask me where can't remember. But I wonder what the legal implications of that are. Can you specifically deny ebikes but allow bikes as. I don't know much about US legislation in the matter. But generally if you can ride a bike you can ride an ebike.

In my country you can ride anywhere even off trails anywhere on anyone's land trail or off trail in the forest if you choose. The only exception is national parks where it's specifically forbidden.

It's generally the reverse in the US, they are only allowed on singletrack trails where specifically allowed. With the bikes we ride though, they blend right in, so it's almost a non issue. YMMV

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
I've tried the Trail forks app here in California. Riders were marking some trails as E friendly only to find out when I got there they weren't. What made it worse was that the "No Ebike" signs were mounted a good 20' in from the trailhead giving you a good amount of false hope.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
Near you is Jeffco, city of Lakewood (Green mtn and Bear Crk lake), CO State Parks (Staunton SP is a great ride). Be nice and low key and ride what you want to ride elsewhere.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Thank You. I know I’m grasping at straws and there’s gotta be some centralized information on the topic, but I haven’t found it yet.
There really isn't, because trails fall under so many jurisdictions (multiple federal jurisdictions, plus state, county, and municipal), and there hasn't been a federal law passed to force uniformity.

Trailforks could be used to act as a centralized source of information, but it depends on users accurately reporting status, when they may not know or may have incentive to mislead.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I'm in AZ, and it seems like they aren't restricted in most places. I've had success just googling a city name and "electric bike" to find the park rules. Every one of them says they allow Class 1, most allow all classes, except in very narrowly specific situations.

You want to see some insane and random laws, look at drone usage (another hobby, and I often ride with one).

In the long run, I'm very unconcerned with an occasional fine and just ride so I don't impact people. I care very little about the law. Fines are very low.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
There really isn't, because trails fall under so many jurisdictions (multiple federal jurisdictions, plus state, county, and municipal), and there hasn't been a federal law passed to force uniformity.

Trailforks could be used to act as a centralized source of information, but it depends on users accurately reporting status, when they may not know or may have incentive to mislead.
I don't trust Trailforks or any that are created with user supplied data, they're often wrong in both directions. CoTrex is accurate since all the data is supplied by land agencies, but they don't have a filter for ebikes. The best you can do is for motorized. If you care, just go to the web pages of the particular agencies ahead of time, or like me, be an ignorant fool.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
This is a place where a company like Garmin could put their abilities to good use. I carry a Garmin GPS/inReach device when I'm out in the wilderness, and it's perfectly able to tell me where hunting is allowed, who owns land, etc etc. I also use this on the bikes when I go farther than just my immediate area.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles