• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Replacing a brake caliper

Grant Allan

Mar 22, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi guys,
I stuffed up and damaged the pistons in my br-mt520 shimano caliper while replacing my pads.
Replacement calipers are almost impossible in New Zealand at the moment.
So what can I use instead? Maybe from sram or another model shimano.
On a side note I've had a new pair of pistons made from mild steel though I'm a little unsure about trying them incase the metal heats up expands and seizes in the caliper or the heat cooks the fluid.

Grant Allan

Mar 22, 2021
Wellington, New Zealand
Pick another caliper that uses the same fluid.

no clue what you’re saying about the pistons. If they’re for the caliper it should be fine. If they’re solid mild steel made in your garage then lol but maybe they’ll hold until you get something legit in. I wouldn’t run any ghetto stuff for front brakefor sure.

This is what I had made up. Just wish shimano would sell a rebuild kit.

100.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The coefficient of expansion for steel is half of that for aluminum. Your caliper heats up, too. The big question is how much clearance you allowed between the pistons and the caliper. Assuming they work ok, the bigger problem will be corrosion of the pistons. I don't think steel is the best choice of materials.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Replacement calipers are almost impossible in New Zealand at the moment.

all shimano impossible, or just MT-520?
if you can get any Deore, SLX, XT, XTR, Zee, Saint they will work. Deore BR-M6120 looks exactly the same....
a friend told me recently he was struggling to find a lever for his and was told any shimano lever is interchangeable, so by that logic then all the callipers are interchangeable...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles