Replacement tyres wanted.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
Hi. Just about to press the button to buy a Cube Stereo 750. 140 version. I wish to replace the OEM tyres with a hybrid/gravel thinner profile tyre.
The reason being that I intend to do a lot of road/gravel riding. Probably 30% will be off road.
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of replacement tyres meeting this profile please?
Thanks in advance
Z

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Me , personally[ on any EMTB bike ] would leave the 2.6 on the front and put a 2.4 or 2.3 on the back, and simply pump up the pressure to 40psi+ for the road and 22 psi+/- for dirt [works for me really well].

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Why don't you just buy a road/ gravel bike instead ..I'm sure they come with some form of electric motor these days ..and you would save a ton of weight & possibly money ..(although having zero interest in road or gravel I'm not 100% sure about electric options ) 🤔

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
FWIW my Levo with 2.6" mud tyres on buzzes along nicely on Tarmac at 15.5mph using under 30% of the 500wh battery to go 20 miles. If the bike shop can't swop out for something a bit more XC (nobby nics, wicked wills, ardent, etc) I'd be inclined to just run what you have until they're bald and then delight at how much better it is on the new slicker tyres when you eventually replace them. 😁

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Hi. Just about to press the button to buy a Cube Stereo 750. 140 version. I wish to replace the OEM tyres with a hybrid/gravel thinner profile tyre.
The reason being that I intend to do a lot of road/gravel riding. Probably 30% will be off road.
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of replacement tyres meeting this profile please?
Thanks in advance
Z
Schwalbe do a range of gravel tyres, G Ones in various widths 35mm to 57mm (approx 2.25"). Or Vittoria make some great lighter cased tyres for mixed fast rolling tarmac and off road at 2.35" width. But the Schwalbe gravel tyres are road bike 700C not 29" (both on 622mm rim diameter) so you'll lose sidewall height. If it was me I'd go a Vittoria Agarro 2.35" at slightly higher pressures, say 30psi rear, 28 front. Don't go skinnier, you'll regret it when you hit some slop, and you'll have to keep pumping up)/letting out air and suffer more punctures. Oh and get the E spec Agarro's usually cheaper and harder wearing, ideal for mixed on/off road use.

Last edited:

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Thanks in advance
Z
Don`t buy thin tires, wider are much more comfortable. I have Smart Sam`s on my commuter and I would`t buy anything less off road to that, even I`ll never take it to off road. Wife have Mescal`s on Her hybrid. These are great on gravel and comfortable on road. And because you have little knobs, you don`t get punctures so easily, these are really thin casing tires, hardly any puncture protection. Smat Sam`s gives great milage too.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
Ok so fine tuning….

Stick with knobbly tyres..
I plan to do zero trail biking., approx 40% gravel grit dirt paths, the rest is tarmac. I need puncture resistant tyres too if possible.
Thanks

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Most people I know choose Maxxis Ikon, Pirelli Scorpion H, Vittloria Mezcal or similar for this.
Or buy a gravel bike.

Last edited:

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
The problem with the OEM tyres is that they are too big for my riding profile. The originals are designed for trail riding - of which I will be doing none. The resistance the OEM tyres provide on tarmac - robs the bike of its range due to its footprint.
A slicker/thinner/less knobbly tyre is more suitable for my profile

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
The problem with the OEM tyres is that they are too big for my riding profile. The originals are designed for trail riding - of which I will be doing none. The resistance the OEM tyres provide on tarmac - robs the bike of its range due to its footprint.
A slicker/thinner/less knobbly tyre is more suitable for my profile
How far are you planning on riding? I did ten miles on country roads tarmac this morning (to buy strawberries from a local farm!) at an average of 25kph and used 13% of my 500wh battery (mix of all three modes as I wasn't interested in economy or getting a workout). I guess what I'm saying is that with a 750wh battery and full-fat bosch unless you're running full-on DH tyres you probably won't even notice them.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
My rides involve solo and group sessions averaging around 50 miles. Tarmac uses less power than gravel. I live near the snowdonia national park which means some serious elevation changes!
OEM tyres are not ideal for my profile of rides hence the original post.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
My rides involve solo and group sessions averaging around 50 miles. Tarmac uses less power than gravel. I live near the snowdonia national park which means some serious elevation changes!
OEM tyres are not ideal for my profile of rides hence the original post.
Vittoria Terreno's sound ideal for your needs, 29x2.1 only 600gram on Amazon UK at £32 each.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
Amber valley guy - I've found the site on Amazon - thank you. Good price too!
Question for you - there are various vittoria terreno types: graphite/tlr/pro etc etc.
Which would you recommend - I want a good puncture resistant tyre if possible?

Are the rims on the stereo 140: 29 x 700's?
Will the tyres be tubeless?
What sort of pressure would I need them to be for tarmac/gravel?

Thanks
Z

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Amber valley guy - I've found the site on Amazon - thank you. Good price too!
Question for you - there are various vittoria terreno types: graphite/tlr/pro etc etc.
Which would you recommend - I want a good puncture resistant tyre if possible?

Are the rims on the stereo 140: 29 x 700's?
Will the tyres be tubeless?
What sort of pressure would I need them to be for tarmac/gravel?

Thanks
Z
700c and 29er are just the road/mtb terms respectively for the same diameter rims.
Pressure wise, if you're running tubeless and 2.0"+ tyres it'll be less than you think, I wouldn't go above 30 on tarmac and closer to 20 off road.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
TLR means tubeless ready, your wheel rims will need taping and a tubeless valve (probably already fitted?) and of course you'll need tubeless sealant, graphene 2 is Vittoria' s MTB rubber compound (harder wearing and faster rolling allegedly) What Pro means I have no idea. Your rims are (presuming they're 29", check the tyres already on the bike, they might be 27.5", I don't know your bike) are 622mm RIM size, aka 700C road size which is the same as (in MTB terms) 29"....Whilst 27.5" (MTB) is the same RIM size as 650B (road) at 584mm. If you want better puncture protection from sharp gravel trails like crushed limestone , go with proper (e)MTB tyres, more weight, more reliable, and make more sense on a heavier bike. And don't forget road sized tyre have approx 1/2 less sidewall height (1" in overall diameter) which makes for a harsher ride. I've got to ask why buy an Emtb if you want an electric bike for soft roading, there's loads of e-powered bikes available for this?

Last edited:

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
AVG = thanks for very concise response. Appreciated.
I initially looked at the katmhandu which has a very good write up across the board.
However -it is a hard tail and off road ( not trail), makes for uncomfortable riding - especially at my age (68)!
All my club colleagues enjoy gravel/ dirt routes ( man made throughout the snowdonia national park), and they can easily switch to tarmac when necessary. With my road bike, i can' t do much of what they can.
So i was advised to look at a full suspension equivalent of the katmhandu which led me to the stereo. For the price it ticks every box for me. Thats why i am where i am with choice.

zoros

Jun 6, 2024
north wales
When you look for:
Ebike / soft suspension / bosch motor with minimum 75nm / battery with 750+.
And a budget of circa £3000, guess where you end up?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Me , personally[ on any EMTB bike ] would leave the 2.6 on the front and put a 2.4 or 2.3 on the back, and simply pump up the pressure to 40psi+ for the road and 22 psi+/- for dirt [works for me really well].
Be careful of inflating to 40psi or more as some tyres, especially MTB, have a maximum pressure lower than that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles