Replace Purion & Garmin 530 with Nyon?

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I've been looking at replacing the standard bosch purion display with a nyon and I was wondering if anyone else have done this and what they think of the nyon?
The thinking behind it is to replace the bosch purion + my garmin edge 530 with one device but from what I've read the nyon seems a bit clunky with tracking routes. Feedback from people with a nyon would be appreciated.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Got my wife a nyon for her trek the nyon is a great unit and works really well bit bulky if yer thrashing away in the woods to use but for trails is great

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
I spent some time deliberating about this very upgrade myself as I wanted something to help with navigating unfamiliar trails and the fitness functionality is a nice to have. I've bought a Nyon retrofit kit and it arrived yesterday so not yet fitted but from my research on the Nyon I think that it's pretty good at showing you navigation directions but sometimes makes dubious choices of routes. It seems that the best idea is to either plan your routes in advance in the Bosch ebike portal or use something like Komoot to plan and use the Nyon to follow the route.

As soon I get the device fitted and follow a few routes I can give you an update if you're interested

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I spent some time deliberating about this very upgrade myself as I wanted something to help with navigating unfamiliar trails and the fitness functionality is a nice to have. I've bought a Nyon retrofit kit and it arrived yesterday so not yet fitted but from my research on the Nyon I think that it's pretty good at showing you navigation directions but sometimes makes dubious choices of routes. It seems that the best idea is to either plan your routes in advance in the Bosch ebike portal or use something like Komoot to plan and use the Nyon to follow the route.

As soon I get the device fitted and follow a few routes I can give you an update if you're interested
If you could that would be great 👍

Silverfox Baz

Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I've been looking at replacing the standard bosch purion display with a nyon and I was wondering if anyone else have done this and what they think of the nyon?
The thinking behind it is to replace the bosch purion + my garmin edge 530 with one device but from what I've read the nyon seems a bit clunky with tracking routes. Feedback from people with a nyon would be appreciated.
I upgraded from the Intuvia to the Nyon 2 recently. I’ve been out for about half a dozen rides with it so far. The screen is clear. The navigation is pretty good, particularly the directions as you’re riding, although I have had a few instances where I’ve gone past a turning before it shows I should have taken it. It is quite quick at rerouting if you go off the planned route.

It does take some very odd routes sometimes so I prefer to plan the route on Komoot. It connects very well with Komoot and the routes appear on the Nyon pretty well straight away. It also integrates well with Strava so you can share your rides to your Strava account. This has to be done via the online eBike Connect portal, you can’t do it directly from the Nyon or the eBike Connect App.

One quirk I’ve found is if you plan a route it is very particular that you start exactly at the start point. If you have just started riding, for instance, while it switches on, when you start the route it will keep directing you back to the start point rather than just pick up from where you are.

The topographic range is quite neat, where it shows on a map how far you could go based on the mode you are in and the topography of the area. The only issue I have with it is it only calculates for a one-way trip so you can get there but you probably won’t back back with power unless you recharge somewhere along the way. I just wish they had a round trip option so it could show how far you could go with enough in reserve to get back as I mostly do round trips either from home or somewhere I’ve driven to and I would like to see where I could go and get back on a charge.

There are a few pre-defined screens with information. You can modify some of them and make your own to show the information you want to see, which I find quite useful.

I find the touch sensitivity of the screen a big laggy. When I tap buttons it sometimes takes a second or two for it to react. That might be the fact I have a screen protector on though. When riding I use the remote controller anyway so not a big issue.

I bought the Lock function from the App so the bike will only work with my Nyon and no others. Of course, thieves wouldn’t know that so I‘m going to make a sticker up that says this to put on the holder when I remove the Nyon.

I haven’t bothered to buy the custom modes option as I’m quite happy with the modes I have and wouldn’t know what to set them at anyway.

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
Well I went out on my first ride with the Nyon. I decided to use a 18Km mixed on-road/off-road route designed by Komoot on the way out and then let the Nyon find me a route back. I had Komoot running on my phone along with the same navigation on the Nyon. All very good until I got to a point a 1/3rd of the way in where Komoot was trying to direct me down a footpath with very limited access. I couldn't go that way but remembered that the path was a shortcut to a road I could reach another way. So I started cycling in that direction, expecting Komoot to work out what I was doing. It didn't and spent 10 minutes insisting that I neeeded to do a U turn. The Nyon tried to recalculate a route once I deviated but it was all over the place and gave no useful direction. Most often suggesting straight on no matter which direction I was going. I used the Ordnance Survey map in the end. This happened once more on the way out.

On the way back I used the Nyon to work out a route for me and it did exactly the same thing and tried to direct me down footpaths that were not suitable for cycling. When I went a different way it wasn't great at working out where I was going.

I think I need to get used to the display and look to see if there are symbols that tell me to turn around. Otherwise it's not great if you're going in the wrong direction.

I agree with Siverfox Baz about the lag on the display telling me to turn. I think I'll get used to it. To be fair Komoot has the opposite problem, telling me to turn way before needed. Both of these can be confusing if there are a few possible turnings close together.

Here's the route and you can see the various points that I wandered off route as the Nyon and Komoot got confused

1639753512664.png

Silverfox Baz

Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Well I went out on my first ride with the Nyon. I decided to use a 18Km mixed on-road/off-road route designed by Komoot on the way out and then let the Nyon find me a route back. I had Komoot running on my phone along with the same navigation on the Nyon. All very good until I got to a point a 1/3rd of the way in where Komoot was trying to direct me down a footpath with very limited access. I couldn't go that way but remembered that the path was a shortcut to a road I could reach another way. So I started cycling in that direction, expecting Komoot to work out what I was doing. It didn't and spent 10 minutes insisting that I neeeded to do a U turn. The Nyon tried to recalculate a route once I deviated but it was all over the place and gave no useful direction. Most often suggesting straight on no matter which direction I was going. I used the Ordnance Survey map in the end. This happened once more on the way out.

On the way back I used the Nyon to work out a route for me and it did exactly the same thing and tried to direct me down footpaths that were not suitable for cycling. When I went a different way it wasn't great at working out where I was going.

I think I need to get used to the display and look to see if there are symbols that tell me to turn around. Otherwise it's not great if you're going in the wrong direction.

I agree with Siverfox Baz about the lag on the display telling me to turn. I think I'll get used to it. To be fair Komoot has the opposite problem, telling me to turn way before needed. Both of these can be confusing if there are a few possible turnings close together.

Here's the route and you can see the various points that I wandered off route as the Nyon and Komoot got confused

View attachment 78334
I think it's all to do with trying to figure out which routes are suitable for cycles. Car navigation is much easier because public roads are well documented whereas cycling navigation is trying to use not only roads but also paths, bridleways, tracks, etc, many of which may be OK on foot, a horse or a tractor but not so good on a bike.

Even with Komoot I've had instances where I've found myself routed via unsuitable tracks. Once was a ploughed field which probably did have some sort of footpath before it was ploughed. I was on a cycling tour with a group of friends and was navigator. That was three years ago and I'm still getting stick for it!

It would be good if there was some way of giving feedback on these devices so they could be corrected just telling them the route isn't suitable for bikes.

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
tbh, komoot did tell me that there was a section where cycling wasn't permitted before I set off. However, I do think that if it knows there's an uncyclable bit it shouldn't route me that way

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Pherhaps Kiox may well offer what you need it uses your phone for navigation duty and replays a simple line and arrow on screen

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I use komoot to plan rides, for me it works great with Nyon 2. I don’t go on a new trail without knowing where I’m going ahead of time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles