Replace cage bearings with cartridge?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have a 2019 reaction hybrid and would like to replace the awful headset cage bearings with cartridge bearings. How do I go about this? How easy is it?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
What's wrong with them Beekeeper? I had similar bike for almost 3 years/6000km. Greased from new and once more, no problems.
Maybe because I've had so many old motorcycles with caged ball bearings, not sure why they are so maligned on pushbikes. No negative commentry here, just asking.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
What's wrong with them Beekeeper? I had similar bike for almost 3 years/6000km. Greased from new and once more, no problems.
Maybe because I've had so many old motorcycles with caged ball bearings, not sure why they are so maligned on pushbikes. No negative commentry here, just asking.

perhaps the grease has gone, feels a bit rough when turning. Last time I inspected them a few ball bearings had disintegrated. Can’t seem to get the balance right between being too loose with the headset creaking or too tight with grinding noise. Could be I’m using the wrong grease. Just ordinary Halfords bike grease

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Ah well if the ball bearings have gone you may as well go cartridge. There's been a few threads here about replacing them. For some reason Cube didn't put grease in there...maybe it all went in their food.
Just jokes... I love German food...and beer.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Can’t seem to get the balance right between being too loose with the headset creaking or too tight with grinding noise
It probably isn't your lack of skill. I know with bottom brackets on analogue bikes that many of them simply are out of alignment - they were manufactured that way. The only potential issue I can see with a cartridge is that it will have smaller balls, but should over ride the alignment issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles