Levo Gen 2 Removing Miranda cranks from Levo

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
I replaced my Praxis cranks with Mirandas and unlike the Praxis self extracting bolts the Mirandas use traditional bolts. I tried to pull one of the arms off with my threaded crank extractor and while it threaded into the crank arm even with the extractor bolt screwed all the way in it didn't press the crank arm off. What tool do I need?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
have you stripped the thread on the crank? If so you will need to resort to using a 2 or 3 arm puller.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I replaced my Praxis cranks with Mirandas and unlike the Praxis self extracting bolts the Mirandas use traditional bolts. I tried to pull one of the arms off with my threaded crank extractor and while it threaded into the crank arm even with the extractor bolt screwed all the way in it didn't press the crank arm off. What tool do I need?
Don't take offense - I have to ask. Are you sure your Miranda cranks are not self-extracting? I have Miranda cranks on my 2019 Turbo Levo, and they are self-extracting. I know because I installed them.

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
Don't take offense - I have to ask. Are you sure your Miranda cranks are not self-extracting? I have Miranda cranks on my 2019 Turbo Levo, and they are self-extracting. I know because I installed them.
No offense taken. They are definitely not self extracting. They came without bolts at all. I bought bolts separately. They thread in and out normally and don't remain in the cranks like self extracting bolts (like were in the Praxis cranks I removed).

Last edited:

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
Yikes! The reason the extractor didn't press against the axle is that there isn't one! Well of course there is but it's hollow...
IMG_20211014_110323.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yikes! The reason the extractor didn't press against the axle is that there isn't one! Well of course there is but it's hollow... View attachment 73790
as are most. I suspect your problem is using the wrong type of crank extractor. There are essentially 2 sizes, the smaller size will miss the edge of the spindle and therefore not work.
You need one for an ISIS spindle.

ps you chainguide is much too low.

Last edited:

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
as are most. I suspect your problem is using the wrong type of crank extractor. There are essentially 2 sizes, the smaller size will miss the edge of the spindle and therefore not work.
You need one for an ISIS spindle.

ps you chainguide is much too low.
I found this video showing how to do it with the standard extractor I have.

this HTML class. Value is

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I found this video showing how to do it with the standard extractor I have.

this HTML class. Value is
the link does not work. Your extractor will not work if the face misses the edges of the spindle. Some extractors have 2 interchangeable faces and for ISIS you use the larger one. Others are either the larger size ( e.g. for ISIS) or smaller size for older cotterless cranks etc.

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
the link does not work. Your extractor will not work if the face misses the edges of the spindle. Some extractors have 2 interchangeable faces and for ISIS you use the larger one. Others are either the larger size ( e.g. for ISIS) or smaller size for older cotterless cranks etc.
Sorry about the link. YouTube isn't allowing me to share the link for some reason. Just do a search on YouTube for How To Remove Splined Cranks (Isis Drive/Octalink) With Standard Puller?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....you are missing the point.....there are 2 "standard" crank pullers. The face that contacts the outer edge of the hollow ISIS spindle needs to be the larger one..............the other "standard" crank puller has a face that is smaller in diameter and as you have found out, merely goes in the hole in the middle of an ISIS spindle missing the shoulder edge it is supposed to push against completely. There are some crank pullers that give the option of using either the larger or the smaller face those usually being on either end of the puller..........there are other crank pullers that specifically provide only only one of those options. Look up Park tools and you see all their different offerings.

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
.....you are missing the point.....there are 2 "standard" crank pullers. The face that contacts the outer edge of the hollow ISIS spindle needs to be the larger one..............the other "standard" crank puller has a face that is smaller in diameter and as you have found out, merely goes in the hole in the middle of an ISIS spindle missing the shoulder edge it is supposed to push against completely. There are some crank pullers that give the option of using either the larger or the smaller face those usually being on either end of the puller..........there are other crank pullers that specifically provide only only one of those options. Look up Park tools and you see all their different offerings.
Jesus dude I'm not missing the point. I heard you twice the first time. You didn't watch the video. It shows how to use the crank bolts and the outer threaded part of a standard crank puller in a similar manner as a self extracting bolt setup. Look the video up and see for yourself.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Jesus dude I'm not missing the point. I heard you twice the first time. You didn't watch the video. It shows how to use the crank bolts and the outer threaded part of a standard crank puller in a similar manner as a self extracting bolt setup. Look the video up and see for yourself.
In which case you only needed to confirm you now understood how to resolve your problem........rather than referring me and others to a video link that did not work .

Telewacker

Sep 19, 2021
Concord CA
In which case you only needed to confirm you now understood how to resolve your problem........rather than referring me and others to a video link that did not work .
It was obvious that I had resolved it in stating that I found a video that described now to remove the cranks using the tools I had. I apologized for the non working link and suggested an easy search figuring most people had the energy and curiosity to look it up and learn. My bad. Some people are much more interested in pedantry than learning.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It was obvious that I had resolved it in stating that I found a video that described now to remove the cranks using the tools I had. I apologized for the non working link and suggested an easy search figuring most people had the energy and curiosity to look it up and learn. My bad. Some people are much more interested in pedantry than learning.
I agree:p

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
What, actually *look up* something? Reminds me of Homer Simpson, "Operator, give me the number for 911.". ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles