Reign E+ 2022

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
EWS Climbing stages are perfectly do able on a normal bike. But being a timed segment every second counts.

Most climbs folk do on Ebikes are do able by stronger fitter more skilled rides on normal bikes TBF.
The biggest difference for me between the Bosch and the Yam is on super rocky, narrow climbs that you dont know too well. When you cant even get a 1/4 pedal stroke in and your almost done the Bosch lets you do a super quick jab on the pedal and that little boost that it gives almost always gets me through. The Yam doesnt give that. I do feel like the Giant has really poor engagement on the rear hub and that doesnt help the Giant in that situation either. Small differences and first world problems.

Marktm

Jan 13, 2022
New Zealand
I had a small frame E+1 on order here in NZ (all that is coming in), figured I could make it work as I have had other small Giants in the past (anthems and Trance) and reach was just 5mm shorter than my levo on paper. Was lucky enough to take a med E+1 for a good ride and realised I could not go any smaller, maybe it was the seat tube angle which made me feel a bit cramped? I was also concerned about battery consumption (no sign of when range extenders will arrive in NZ, if at all) and frankly not overly impressed with the motor. I did like how it turned and the spec is awesome for the $$. I am coming off a 2019 Levo with good Fox gear on it and 700wh battery (which I could do 80km on if needed), a bike I raced E-Cross Country and E-Enduro on and performed well, just sold it for more than I paid for it 3.5 years later. Now decided to stick with another levo, due to the improvements over the old model, adjust geo, mullet, 700wh etc, so have a levo comp alloy on order. A couple of grand more but all I could think of was how good the levo was when I was riding the Giant and the resale in a couple or 3 years time will cancel out the extra $$. Just my opinion but I see alot of readers like to read comparisons.

kadlefkas

Nov 9, 2021
greece
Anyone tested to hide a Airtag in the battery cover? is it enough space?
You mean something like that?cheap and easy, also it stop all the annoying sounds from the plastic cover and add some protection from low temperatures and water .

640064E6-9070-430D-BF4F-E639DDE5F8A2.jpeg

F700A455-06BB-47ED-88FE-CE61C0FA74C8.jpeg

53956689-F4BC-48FF-A061-6237B183A6B2.jpeg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I’d this your Fox 38? I’ve taken mine back to the shop to sort. Feels super harsh and have told them I think I have too much grease in the negative side. Hopefully Fox will sort it as a warranty issue.

That sounds oddly specific. How did you come up with this diagnosis? What was wrong exactly? Usually nobody links harsh fork with too much slick honey in the negative air chamber but rather with 1. Bad damper settings, 2. Temperature.

What were your symptoms exactly?

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
That sounds oddly specific. How did you come up with this diagnosis? What was wrong exactly? Usually nobody links harsh fork with too much slick honey in the negative air chamber but rather with 1. Bad damper settings, 2. Temperature.

What were your symptoms exactly?
If you google Fox forks harsh there are plenty of cases. There is a thread here on emtbforums that covers this extensively. Plenty more on MBR, pinkbike and Vital.
Apparently it reduces the negative chamber and can also block the port between the two chambers.
I tried to set up a ShockWiz on my fork but when I released all the air to calibrate it I couldn’t pull the forks up to full travel, even after putting a zip tie down the seals to break the pressure.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
I felt the fork too hard even in small bumps, I played with the pressures but it did not improve, moreover to have sag 20% I had to put too much air for my weight, probably the air remained in the negative chamber .... as soon as I can I try it and update it

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
I
How does it run with a coil? I’ve got ohlins on my patriot and love it. Think I need to give the float x2 a chance at the moment.
I honestly can't compare to x2 as swapped our before riding but love the feel.
Reign 2 is under specced with dhx air.
My decision was based on having commencal furious with stock x2 and changing for coil.
The bike was vastly improved.
Considering 80 percent of my riding will be park no brainer for me for my taste..

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I felt the fork too hard even in small bumps, I played with the pressures but it did not improve, moreover to have sag 20% I had to put too much air for my weight, probably the air remained in the negative chamber .... as soon as I can I try it and update it

This might be the symptom of negative air chamber being "stuck". Happened to my X2 in the past

_20220203_072839.JPG

Do you guys follow instructions of how to pump your forks? Or do you just pump them once to the "correct" pressure? There is a specific procedure how to inflate stuff with big negative chambers. You need to do it in steps. Pump a bit and then press the fork slowly. Repeat couple of times.

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
Exactly how I felt. If I set it up with 20/25% sag it still felt harsh. I have removed tokens, changed air pressure. Up: down. It’s never got to a place where I’m happy. I’ve been riding for 20+ years and I’m fairly confident on how a fork should feel. I’m sure it’s not every fork but it’s enough that there are plenty of discussion on the web about it.

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
This might be the symptom of negative air chamber being "stuck". Happened to my X2 in the past

View attachment 81392

Do you guys follow instructions of how to pump your forks? Or do you just pump them once to the "correct" pressure? There is a specific procedure how to inflate stuff with big negative chambers. You need to do it in steps. Pump a bit and then press the fork slowly. Repeat couple of times.
Yup. Every time. Every 15 psi to equalise the negative chamber. Every time I change air pressure.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Yup. Every time. Every 15 psi to equalise the negative chamber. Every time I change air pressure.

If you are able to equalize the pressure in every step and the pressure in the main chamber drops a bit each time, that means that the passage between the negative and positive works correctly.

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
If you are able to equalize the pressure in every step and the pressure in the main chamber drops a bit each time, that means that the passage between the negative and positive works correctly.
I’m not saying it’s equalising each time. Exactly the opposite. I’m saying it’s not equalising. Try letting all the air out of your forks and then pull up. You should be able to pull it up to full height. I can’t. Not even 20mm before it sucks it down.
I’m glad for you that you have a fork that is perfect. Im just telling my story about how mine isn’t and how that seems to be a fairly common problem.

Ruemtbs

Oct 30, 2021
New Zealand
If you read this forum it explains a lot.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I’m not saying it’s equalising each time. Exactly the opposite. I’m saying it’s not equalising. Try letting all the air out of your forks and then pull up. You should be able to pull it up to full height. I can’t. Not even 20mm before it sucks it down.
I’m glad for you that you have a fork that is perfect. Im just telling my story about how mine isn’t and how that seems to be a fairly common problem.

You've got it wrong. I'm trying to diagnose your problem in order to help.

If your fork sinks after totally deflating it, it's not necessary that bad. Fox has a good support and should help here. As far as I remember they told me to just try to inflate my X2 when it was stuck. High pressure just pushed slick honey from the passage between the chambers and the damper was fixed. Write them and confirm that you can do it with the fork too. Opening Fox fork and air leg is relatively easy but I think it might not be necessary in your case.

If possible link here the other forums that discussed the problems you mention.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
If you read this forum it explains a lot.

I read it all :). So basically they say exactly what we are saying here. Just in more detail. The only thing I would add is that the reduction of the volume caused by excess amount of slick honey is not a cause of harshness in my opinion. Stuck air transfer between positive and negative air chambers might though. But as @Rob Rides EMTB mentions there, for him what helped was properly inflate the fork in steps. If you are not able to equalize the pressure and you don't want to tinker with your fork then of course just give it to your shop or Fox and they will fix it. I would talk to Fox service first.

38 is an amazing fork in my opinion. Not plush like RS but it absolutely shines when ridden fast. So don't give up on your fork just yet :).

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Quick question about the headset standard in our bike. I'm too lazy to check and to remove the fork right now and I can't find it anywhere in the internet, but what's the standard of the headset in our bike? ZS44 plus ZS56 or something else?

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary

View attachment 81392

I do believe you also should remove the shock pump when adding air and pushing the fork between steps as it can damage your pump.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles