Reducing reach - stem adapter for direct mount

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Anyone familiar with stem componentry know if there is/was an adapter for installing direct mount stems onto a regular bike?

The objective being to attach the adapter to the fork which can them have a direct mount stem installed. Essentially just a plate with screws for attaching to the fork and holes for a direct mount stem...

For example, I found this through search, but it looks like the adapter is not produced for the retail market:
1626421522984.png

Or, another way of saying it, converting the top of a single crown fork to accept direct mount stems.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dude. Its a really stupid idea with absolutely no benefit. That one 19mm plate clamped to your fork is way less secure than a traditional stem and DM stems are generally only available in lengths from 40-60mm which a far more secure traditional stem is available in anyway.
The component you found is from back in 2011.
Let it die.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
why cant you just use the shortest normal stem , and roll your bars back ? could even get some high rise bars and roll them back, but that would probably produce some really odd handling.

That adapter looks like an accident waiting to happen.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
You can get a "normal" 30mm stem and, as mentioned, bars with more rise/sweep. Not sure why you'd want to go through all of the complexity of mounting a direct mount stem. Also check your saddle fore/aft position. And if you're really feeling that stretched out, your frame is probably too big for you.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wouldn't want a Spectral-ON at all.

a 10mm onoff stem will put the bar clamp ABOVE your fork steerer. So even forgettign the dubious handling of a 10mm stem length, unless you cut your steerer and run low rise bars you'll also ruin the bike's handling by raising the bars on an already too big frame.

Sell the bike and buy one that fits you

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
The change in steering 'twitch' due to the 25mm decrease in stem length is about 3%. The bar height will be approximately equal. So no big changes.

The bike was purchased used for about 2.8k, there aren't any similar deals on bikes at the moment. To acquire the same spec bike would cost an additional 3k. So not a good option. But the required reach change is only about 3cm, which a 0-10mm stem accomplishes, and I keep weight on the back wheel for a stable ride. Certainly too large to throw around, but I'm not there yet anyway.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it doesn't really work like that. Placing the bar clamp 20mm BEHIND the wheel axle is a BIG change and its effect can't really be measured in percentages. Combine that with the raise in bar height and you have a MASSIVE change in handling and a drastic reduction in the (too small) riders ability to weight the front wheel.

A bike that doesn't fit for your style of riding is worthless.

I keep weight on the back wheel for a stable ride.
Yeah. you're not really getting this are you?

Sell the bike for as close to what you payed as you can and buy something that fits (also second hand if needs dictate). The Canyon is not a great bike in the first place and spec isn't anywhere near as important as geometry and sizing. mid level components work just as well as high end and are a lot cheaper in running costs.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
it doesn't really work like that. Placing the bar clamp 20mm BEHIND the wheel axle is a BIG change and its effect can't really be measured in percentages. Combine that with the raise in bar height and you have a MASSIVE change in handling and a drastic reduction in the (too small) riders ability to weight the front wheel.

A bike that doesn't fit for your style of riding is worthless.

Yeah. you're not really getting this are you?

Sell the bike for as close to what you payed as you can and buy something that fits (also second hand if needs dictate). The Canyon is not a great bike in the first place and spec isn't anywhere near as important as geometry and sizing. mid level components work just as well as high end and are a lot cheaper in running costs.

Well, one can run the math and believe in the quantitative aspect of handling characteristics. If you argue 3% by the seat of your pants is untenable, I can of course disagree. Or even say: "I prefer it that way". Indeed, something you won't like can be liked by someone else, and the world will still turn. :)

As far as selling and and purchasing a new used bike, what do you recommend?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I bought a cheap road bike that was not the right size for me a few years back, had bad back and neck for a good 6 months before I bit the bullet and bought one the right size.
I thought I could just set the saddle back, and add a longer stem, run a crazy saddle to bar drop (like the pros do) bit it just wasn't comfortable to ride for more than an hour. was fast though..
in the end I thought, "why am I being so tight, I've sacrificed my comfort for the sake of £500" it's not worth the sacrifice trust me

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I bought a cheap road bike that was not the right size for me a few years back, had bad back and neck for a good 6 months before I bit the bullet and bought one the right size.
I thought I could just set the saddle back, and add a longer stem, run a crazy saddle to bar drop (like the pros do) bit it just wasn't comfortable to ride for more than an hour. was fast though..
in the end I thought, "why am I being so tight, I've sacrificed my comfort for the sake of £500" it's not worth the sacrifice trust me

Well, 500 is different than 3000, let's be honest.

To clarify: The exchange would be selling the existing bike for 2000 and paying 5000 for a significantly lower spec'd bike (for 3 cm change in reach).

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You bought a second hand bike for £2800.
You say the second hand market is mostly empty and new Ebike prices have risen significantly.
So why wouldn't you ask £2800?
(personally I think paying £2800 would be absolutely insane for any secondhand bike, nevermind a Canyon)

Oh... and yeah, by all means put your bars and stem on backwards. I really don't care. Just don't expect the bike's handling to feel just 3% different. ;)

Out of interest... how tall are you? what sort and at what level is the riding you do? and how old/fit/flexible are you?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
6'2" trail riding beginner/intermediate. Currency is EUR. Dad fit ?

The bike was €2800 in 2019, it's 2021, and the bike has... seen some use.

XT brakes & shifter, 36 Performance fork, DPS performance shock, Alex rims. Scratches, worn paint, drive train wear, shocks need service. ?‍♂️

But: even reselling at 2800 (assume), what's the new new or new used bike being purchased?

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Canyon bikes have won world level competition on every discipline of mountain biking: XC, enduro, Dh, gravel… on the last years.
Also spanish, french, portugese, german, italian and even english magazines have praised the spectralon as one of the best.
And that is against brands like trek, giant, scott, santa cruz and even specialized…

So, I believe you do not need to change brand to have a proper bike.
I ride a large spectralon and am less than 6 foot tall, all my other 4 bikes are medium like the stumpy or less than medium like the 17,5 trek sizing.
I found the cockpit of the spectralon are short and even though I would like to try a shorter stem with a higher rise handlebaron it, I did not bother to do it yet, after 4.500 km riding it.
I believe the advise that was already given before, of trying a shorter stem/handlebar setup may be the solution for you to get a more comfortable stance on your very good and well specked bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
6'2" trail riding beginner/intermediate.
At 485mm reach you're well within the recommended height range for the XL. Infact it's verging on short by many modern bikes sizing for beginner trail riding it sounds about right TBH. If you wanted a more poppy playful bike I'd definitely recommend sizing down to the large but otherwise no.
Having been a dad since the age of 20 and remaining pretty fit throughout my 20s and 30s I've no idea what you mean by this but
if you mean you have a bit of a belly, poor flexibility and poor core strength. This can be fixed with a basic 10 minute daily stretching routine (yoga) and simply riding more dynamically. Basically just standing up a lot more and actually working the bike. (I'm in my 50s myself and a lot less fit now BTW)

XT brakes & shifter, 36 Performance fork, DPS performance shock, Alex rims.
There's nothing particualrly high spec about that.
eg.
Current 2021 Deore 4 piston brakes are equally as powerful as 2019 XT and share the same lever ergonomics.
a Deore drivetrain works equally well (infact I far prefer the Deore/Zee/SLX shifters to XT).
And mid level rockshox suspension is more than a match for the low end Fox you have and affords a lower pricepoint.
Alex rims are fine but certainly not high spec.

Scratches, worn paint, drive train wear, shocks need service. ?‍♂️
Ah... Ok. So you haven't really looked after or maintained it. You're hardly in a position to moan about having to drop down to what you deem to be a lower spec new bike then are you? :unsure: ?
This leads me even more towards selling the bike as is if you really think it's too big for you. As a shock/fork/frame bearing service and new drivetrain is going to cost you (or the unwitting buyer) the best part of £600.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Canyon bikes have won world level competition on every discipline of mountain biking: XC, enduro, Dh, gravel… on the last years.
Don't forget "road" ;)
Yes. The bikes are capable. Especially under the world class riders Canyon employ but that doesn't change some of the absolutely stupid design implementation in many of their frames. Eg. attaching the shock yoke to the linkage via a threaded stud pretrusion into an open bushing on the Spectral-ON. Have a look at it and tell me how that makes any sense at all?

Also spanish, french, portugese, german, italian and even english magazines have praised the spectralon as one of the best.
And that is against brands like trek, giant, scott, santa cruz and even specialized…
It's laughable that you put such trust in the mtb media.
At launch Canyon were incredibly savy and invited a bunch of journalists out to the South of France to be pampered at a 5 star controlled test event. Look at almost any review of the first Spectral-ON and they're all from that "holiday". ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles