Resale value for Specialized vs Consumer direct bikes?

srileo

Apr 11, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
All,
i am enjoying my research for my first eMTB and its largely boiling down to Turbo Levo base/comp vs Direct consumer. The Levo base, while low on spec, offers an arguably superior motor and ride control app (and BLEVO) than the largely shimano based competition from the direct brands. Given that technological obsolescence dictates that most riders will switch bikes in about 2-3 years, how does that impact what they choose now?

The Spesh premium is very obvious - $1.5k at least. You get back a little of that with dealer support being very good. But assuming that i up-spec the base levo over a year or two to better drivetrain and brakes, maybe even suspension, to make it mildly comparable to a direct consumer brand, should i expect any better re-sale value? I feel that i will certainly appreciate the superior motor and app based controls.
A DC brand might mean no upgrades, but chains and cassettes will also need replacing at the same pace too. Besides, there is no guarantee that the particular model might be around in a couple of years, and if that bike had an integrated battery system, replacements may be much harder/rarer... which means the re-sale value might be low?
With spesh, there should be enough used frames/batteries/motors around to keep the bike for longer, and maybe just maybe sell it for a bit more?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Conversely if it uses regular shimano batteries not an integrated battery, they may be cheaper and more readily available then specilized custom batteries. The standard shimano batteries are sub £400 now.

Its hard to predict values, but i wouldn't expect the specialized to be worth a premium once the warranty has run out

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
I reckon people mostly look at % difference to new, so they are likely to maintain a slightly premium, imho. However, tech is changing rapidly and so now is not a good time to buy one, financially speaking. But if, like me, you want an emts, then buy one - have fun choosing, but don't choose it on probable resale value a few years down there line. Assume you'll lose most of your money in it, anything else will be a bonus, but the smiles you'll get will be worth it.....

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
I believe Specialized has a 2 year transferable warranty (from original date of purchase) for 2nd owner. That has got to be a plus when buying used

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
All,
i am enjoying my research for my first eMTB and its largely boiling down to Turbo Levo base/comp vs Direct consumer. The Levo base, while low on spec, offers an arguably superior motor and ride control app (and BLEVO) than the largely shimano based competition from the direct brands. Given that technological obsolescence dictates that most riders will switch bikes in about 2-3 years, how does that impact what they choose now?
I don't buy the technological obsolescence argument - let's be honest here, the reason people change bikes often is cos they like bikes, especially new ones! Ebikes have advanced a lot in recent years and are now moving down a couple of different development routes (heavy and powerful, lighter and less so), but I personally don't see the pace being maintained - the next generation of battery tech will be the big bump, but that is likely 3-5 years away.
...The Spesh premium is very obvious - $1.5k at least. You get back a little of that with dealer support being very good. But assuming that i up-spec the base levo over a year or two to better drivetrain and brakes, maybe even suspension, to make it mildly comparable to a direct consumer brand, should i expect any better re-sale value? I feel that i will certainly appreciate the superior motor and app based controls.
A DC brand might mean no upgrades, but chains and cassettes will also need replacing at the same pace too. Besides, there is no guarantee that the particular model might be around in a couple of years, and if that bike had an integrated battery system, replacements may be much harder/rarer... which means the re-sale value might be low?
With spesh, there should be enough used frames/batteries/motors around to keep the bike for longer, and maybe just maybe sell it for a bit more?
I suspect a Levo might have better resale in 2 years than an equivalent DC brand, but not enough to offset the premium you paid upfront and then had to add to to get an equivalent spec. If you are doing it purely on financials you could easily afford to price in a motor and battery change on something like Vitus Sommet and still be ahead.

@xcentric is right though - you don't buy bikes as an investment, they are for using so buy what you like and can afford then go enjoy it.

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Just get/order your bike today and start enjoying it. Whatever you get will depreciate 75% over 3 years if you are lucky and keep it mint! There are so many previous years models at mefa discount to choose from....

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Best to just write off the value and get what you want - easier said than done with all the amazing bikes on offer! Meta Power 29 and Decoy are top of my list.

I’m a recovering petrol head and the depreciation on my motorcycle would buy me a new eBike every year or two, performance cars are even worse. Now I’m having more fun, keeping fit and spending less - although it’s not exactly a cheap hobby!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles