Levo Gen 2 Recommendations on 2021 upgrades levo comp ? “new member”

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Hello everyone, first post here and thought this forum would be a good place to start. Couple questions about upgrades and experiences anyone might of had.
First I have some roval carbon rims on my pedal bike, was wondering if anyone thought it was worth it to switch them over onto my levo comp and if anyone thinks they would be a good upgrade as far as feel and durability? Or am I likely to just f them up and would better off selling them with the other bike.

Also I want to upgrade my chain ring to the praxis 36t but the manual says only 34t will fit in chain guide. I see others have done this but no one on a 2021 since it’s only been out for 1 month and I’m not sure if the frame has changed at all. I do not believe it has.

Next I’m thinking about tire changes and looking into the maxxis brand but not sure the best one? Minion perhaps? Riding here in alaska is mostly single track root but I’ll be doing a lot of trail riding and will come across large rock gardens slick mud and loose gravel. I seen a lot of people running magic Mary also.

Last but not least, I want to see if anyone has run the 29er up front with a 27.5 in the rear for better control in the summer. I also Would like to run a plus tire with studs for winter riding. Hubs and wheel sizing is all new to me so I’m going to play ignorant on That subject because honestly it is over whelming looking at finding a wheel set that works for the turbo levo much less one that’s a good deal. Should I buy another cassette for the ease of swapping them over, or am I over thinking it and should stick with the 29 for winter.
Let me know what you think! Glad to be part of a community that loves their turbo levo as much as I have been.

edit: for readability

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Welcome @Tjmar, lots if info on the forum, I'm sure someone will give you some advice soon.

Have a look here re the chainring, a number of riders have gone 34t/36t. This is mine on 36t replacement, there are a lot more, just do a search:

Have fun and enjoy your new bike! :)

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I took the chain guide off my levo. Kept the same drivetrain for 3000kms and nearly 2 years and never dropped a chain.

I don't think you've had any replies because it looks like one massive sentence. I switched off reading it. Try condensing in and breaking it up

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A lot of this hs been covered before so search the forum. The Levo has not changed since 2019 except for component differences.
I have 2019 Comp. The main changes I made initially were the contact points...pedals saddle grips and bar.
A little later when I was sufficiently tuned into the bike I was able to feel the benefit of selecting different tyres for summer and winter conditions and going tubeless. The type of tyre (casing/compound/tread pattern) is more important than brand.
Most recently I have changed the fork from a 150mm Revelation to a 160mm Lyric Ultimate. That has made the most significant improvement to the bike.
Othrr than that I invested time and money in regular maintenance and improving the protection of the electronic components.
Frame, wheels, brakes, drivetrain, gears are all fine as they are if properly maintained.

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Welcome @Tjmar, lots if info on the forum, I'm sure someone will give you some advice soon.

Have a look here re the chainring, a number of riders have gone 34t/36t. This is mine on 36t replacement, there are a lot more, just do a search:

Have fun and enjoy your new bike! :)
Hey great thread, I did search around quite a bit and just had not come along something as detailed as this with a dermel mod! This will work great, my 36t praxis is on its way now. Was going to look at some for sale mod chain guides but will attempt the diy way first.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Hey great thread, I did search around quite a bit and just had not come along something as detailed as this with a dermel mod! This will work great, my 36t praxis is on its way now. Was going to look at some for sale mod chain guides but will attempt the diy way first.

Your welcome, let us know how you get on :)

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
A lot of this hs been covered before so search the forum. The Levo has not changed since 2019 except for component differences.
I have 2019 Comp. The main changes I made initially were the contact points...pedals saddle grips and bar.
A little later when I was sufficiently tuned into the bike I was able to feel the benefit of selecting different tyres for summer and winter conditions and going tubeless. The type of tyre (casing/compound/tread pattern) is more important than brand.
Most recently I have changed the fork from a 150mm Revelation to a 160mm Lyric Ultimate. That has made the most significant improvement to the bike.
Othrr than that I invested time and money in regular maintenance and improving the protection of the electronic components.
Frame, wheels, brakes, drivetrain, gears are all fine as they are if properly maintained.
Did you happen to change the stem length? I see it comes standard 50 and was thinking about changing it to a 60 to increase my reach since I’m a bit long. I fall between a large and xl and just decided to get the large because that’s what my lbs had in stock at the time.
I’ve pushEd the seat back and pushed the bars forward some and feel I could really benefit from a long stem and maybe higher bars. What kind of bars you end up going with? I’ve never changed components on my other bikes much and realize everything is personal preference, I’m just looking at others insight and experience. Currently looking at the renthal stem.

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
I have a second set of wheels. For sure not gonna change out my Schwalbe DH tires and cushcores to put on my XC tires for a 10 mile commute to work. So wheels for that reason are excellent. Also understand you have to buy a magnetic sensor that’s on the rear wheel for the switch otherwise motor will not know the bike is working and will shut off.

As for the roval carbons..... I use mine for park riding because it’s a way faster replacement then sending my US made wheels to the US and back.

For tires choose based on your riding:
DH tires can be about 3 lbs for 1 tire and an xc can be a little more than a pound which I don’t think anything XC should be on a full Levo - if even on any e bike.

all the specs on wheels are online.
My Levo has the comp rovals on it. I actually have a stump jumper expert as my pedal bike which has carbon rovals on it. You think it would be worth the switch for rigidity, strength and feel vs the alum ones?
You like schwalbe vs maxxis, just what you’ve always ridden?

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Do you ride at night? Get an exposure flex e mtn bike light. I wired mine my self . Best upgrade I have done.
Daaaayyyuuummmm 320 euro! They are proud of those, I’m definitely in the market for one come fall and winter. Currently here in Alaska the sun still doesn’t set until 11pm so there’s plenty of riding light. Suns up way before I get my ass out of bed.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Best upgrade for a Levo? Trek Rail. Job jobbed. (y)

:ROFLMAO:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Did you happen to change the stem length? I see it comes standard 50 and was thinking about changing it to a 60 to increase my reach since I’m a bit long. I fall between a large and xl and just decided to get the large because that’s what my lbs had in stock at the time.
I’ve pushEd the seat back and pushed the bars forward some and feel I could really benefit from a long stem and maybe higher bars. What kind of bars you end up going with? I’ve never changed components on my other bikes much and realize everything is personal preference, I’m just looking at others insight and experience. Currently looking at the renthal stem.
I went with Nuke proof bars to get a higher rise. I also added a 5mm spacer on the steerer tube when I changed forks. I am just over 6ft but long legs and short body. The combination of 160mm forks, higher rise bars and an extra 5mm under the stem has made the bike a lot better fit for me taking some of my weight off the front of the bike...I feel much better balanced over the cranks as a result. For me getting an ideal fit is the most important upgrade you can make because it impacts on bike control and comfort.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
When I picked up my 2019 levo in October I instantly changed the ape hanger bars ..there just wrong.
I have Renthal fat bar 15mm rise cut to 740mm with a 45 stem.
Spare wheels, both sets are tubeless.
I thought the Spesh gripton are poor grip and accept a thorn very easily for a tractor tyre weighing what they do.
One set has 2.3 high rollers ,other set has continental race kings puncture protection.
I don't ride in the mountains so I have a tyre for xc commute and a set for wetter rough terrain.

Fitted a rear mini guard .

20200607_154745.jpg

20200215_110548.jpg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Coil shock. Best ebike upgrade there is. I'm running a Cane Creek DBCoil CS, but the new Fox DHX2 looks super good and it *does* come in 210 x 52.5mm, you just have to order it.

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Decent enduro spec wheels (you’ll have to get a new cassette for XD driver also), a nicer handlebar, a decent fork, and maybe brakes.

but after those mods there will be nothing left to do.

personally I started with the wheels and cassette. Just for the weight savings. I saved 2 pounds there. Rotational mass at that.

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Decent enduro spec wheels (you’ll have to get a new cassette for XD driver also), a nicer handlebar, a decent fork, and maybe brakes.

but after those mods there will be nothing left to do.

personally I started with the wheels and cassette. Just for the weight savings. I saved 2 pounds there. Rotational mass at that.
Hey Ferd, welcome!
What cassette did you end up buying? I just went down to my local bike shop to spec out a 27.5 wheel set since it appears to be extremely difficult to find a 35mm internal rim online. Don’t know how much weight I’ll save from the set if any but I know it’ll ride more like I want. Trying to pick up some dt Swiss xm521 with 350s. Did you buy a carbon set?

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Hey Ferd, welcome!
What cassette did you end up buying? I just went down to my local bike shop to spec out a 27.5 wheel set since it appears to be extremely difficult to find a 35mm internal rim online. Don’t know how much weight I’ll save from the set if any but I know it’ll ride more like I want. Trying to pick up some dt Swiss xm521 with 350s. Did you buy a carbon set?
Thanks!
The weight loss of 2 pounds was compared wheelset to wheelset. Im running Assagai and Aggressor in 2.5 and GX cassette on a set of Rovals from my old 2018 Enduro. The rims are exactly the same as the OEM ones. I realize now that maybe Half the weight savings might have been the tubes that came with the OEM. I think the tires are about the same. I didnt know there were tubes in there until yesterday. I just hated the tires so much I went straight for this spare wheelset that was hanging on my wall already set up with tires...
Roval hubs with the DT Swiss 370 hub internals and the original Roval Rim up front. 28 hole., And a Race Face ARC 30 offset rear. On my pedal bikes a rear rim lasts me about 6 months before it’s full of dents...but this Race Face rim has lasted 2 years! Its bomber.
I rebuilt them some time ago with straight gage, 14 gage spokes because they had come built with DT Revolution (super light) spokes and were way too flexy, even for me at 150 lbs.

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
I'll agree with MrBrownstone...just ride it. You can drop hundreds of dollars, even thousands, in trying to make the Levo Comp faster and more agile. The gains are minute' for the cost; and when it comes time to sell, you won't get a penny extra for those "improvements.. I'm investing in anti theft measures. Even with homeowners comprehensive, you will still be out $2K if the bike is stolen. A stolen wheelset is very costly to replace, so is a battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles