Rear racks for fullys - two full reviews and a request. Old Man Mountain & Ortlieb Quick Rack

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
(Lots of trouble posting this, so I'll try to add the pics in replies below)

As I use my Levo for commuting, I wanted a rear rack for a bag to carry my laptop, etc. to the office, but could also (relatively) easily remove for hitting the trails. Obviously, having full suspension makes this difficult.

The bag I decided on was the Ortlieb Vario because (a) it can also turn into a rucksack as needed and (b) it could be ordered with QL 3.1 fixing to keep the side of the bag free of sticky-out bits. Some Ortlieb racks come with mounting points for QL 3.1 bags. For other racks, there is the QL 3.1 adapter to attach to the rack:

The requirement of using QL 3.1 and the desire to stop the bag from flapping against the wheels limited the choice somewhat.

Old Man Mountain Divide
Expensive, but built like a brick shit house as they say in British polite society.
You need to order an appropriate axle replacement as this is where the rack mounts and give it it's load capacity without adding too many demands on the frame. Also adds to the cost. Current pricing for the rack is EUR 125 + 81 for the axle kit
Downsides:
  • There is a supporting bar that needs to be attached to the front part of the seat stay to stop movement front-back. Somewhat inconvenient should you also want to attach a mudguard there.

• The rack was a bit small, making it difficult to get the QL3.1 adapter to fit, especially with the supporting bar in the way. It also ended up positioned further forward that I wanted.

There is another - sometimes well hidden - version of the Divide: The Divide MIA. Here that means Made in America, not Missing in Action! Costs another EUR 75(!!!!), coming in at EUR 200. So an eye-watering total of EUR 280 for a rear bike rack. Advantages of the MIA are that it is bigger and extends further back away from the bike, giving more space to keep the bag away from your heals.

Sorry, no pics on the bike as the bike was stolen just two days after I fitted the rack.

Ortlieb Quick Rack
Considerably cheaper at EUR 90
Has the advantage of being able to be attached and removed very quickly. Also has QL3.1 attachment lugs so that no adapter is needed.
Problems:
  • Due to the rear brake mounting on the Levo, the rack needed to be fitted much further forward than is ideal. When using the standard mounting points, the bag is far too far forward. I managed to fit the mounting lugs in an alternative position (a bit of a 3d puzzle!) The top of the bag is now pressing into the back of my leg when I peddle
  • It is supposed to be compatible with full suspension, but I disagree. There is a bar that extends forwards and attaches to the seat post. The bar can slide within the rubber bushing on the rack and can thus allow movement of the rear suspension. Problem is that (as far as I can see and please correct me if I'm wrong), it offers very little support forwards and backwards. This means that the only thing stopping the whole thing rotating around the bottom clamp is the tightness of that clamp. I tried tightening the bolts around the rubber bushing, but that just made the whole thing squeak like a very excited mouse.

See a bunch of pics at the bottom

New Rack?
The Ortlieb Quick Rack, just doesn't work for my needs (hello ebay!) and I'm not keen on getting out another mortgage for the Old Man Mountain Divide MIA plus axle kit.

Any ideas for my next attempt greatly appreciated!

Looking for a rear rack that:
  • Works with the rear suspension on the Levo
  • Can be installed along with the existing mud guard
  • Is not too difficult to remove for the weekend
  • I can install the QL 3.1 adapter on it
  • Stops the side of the panniers from hitting the wheels

Pics of bike with Ortlieb Quick Rack
Without bag. Standard QL3.1 lugs on left side, adjusted positions on right side (away form camera)

Standard position of lugs. No space for peddling:

Adjusted positioning. Just about fits

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

As I use my Levo for commuting, I wanted a rear rack for a bag to carry my laptop, etc. to the office, but could also (relatively) easily remove for hitting the trails. Obviously, having full suspension makes this difficult.

The bag I decided on was the Ortlieb Vario because (a) it can also turn into a rucksack as needed and (b) it could be ordered with QL 3.1 fixing to keep the side of the bag free of sticky-out bits. Some Ortlieb racks come with mounting points for QL 3.1 bags. For other racks, there is the QL 3.1 adapter to attach to the rack:

The requirement of using QL 3.1 and the desire to stop the bag from flapping against the wheels limited the choice somewhat.

Old Man Mountain Divide
Expensive, but built like a brick shit house as they say in British polite society.
You need to order an appropriate axle replacement as this is where the rack mounts and give it it's load capacity without adding too many demands on the frame. Also adds to the cost. Current pricing for the rack is EUR 125 + 81 for the axle kit
Downsides:
  • There is a supporting bar that needs to be attached to the front part of the seat stay to stop movement front-back. Somewhat inconvenient should you also want to attach a mudguard there.

• The rack was a bit small, making it difficult to get the QL3.1 adapter to fit, especially with the supporting bar in the way. It also ended up positioned further forward that I wanted.

There is another - sometimes well hidden - version of the Divide: The Divide MIA. Here that means Made in America, not Missing in Action! Costs another EUR 75(!!!!), coming in at EUR 200. So an eye-watering total of EUR 280 for a rear bike rack. Advantages of the MIA are that it is bigger and extends further back away from the bike, giving more space to keep the bag away from your heals.

Sorry, no pics on the bike as the bike was stolen just two days after I fitted the rack.

Ortlieb Quick Rack
Has the advantage of being able to be attached and removed very quickly. Also has QL3.1 attachment lugs so that no adapter is needed.
Problems:
  • Due to the rear brake mounting on the Levo, the rack needed to be fitted much further forward than is ideal. When using the standard mounting points, the bag is far too far forward. I managed to fit the mounting lugs in an alternative position (a bit of a 3d puzzle!) The top of the bag is now pressing into the back of my leg when I peddle
  • It is supposed to be compatible with full suspension, but I disagree. There is a bar that extends forwards and attaches to the seat post. The bar can slide within the rubber bushing on the rack and can thus allow movement of the rear suspension. Problem is that (as far as I can see and please correct me if I'm wrong), it offers very little support forwards and backwards. This means that the only thing stopping the whole thing rotating around the bottom clamp is the tightness of that clamp. I tried tightening the bolts around the rubber bushing, but that just made the whole thing squeak like a very excited mouse.

New Rack?
The Ortlieb Quick Rack, just doesn't work for my needs (hello ebay!) and I'm not keen on getting out another mortgage for the Old Man Mountain Divide MIA plus axle kit.

Without bag. Standard QL3.1 lugs on left side, adjusted positions on right side (away form camera)

Now the pics. Hope they still make sense without context...

1709915560507.png 1709915572700.png 1709915599134.png 1709915599136.png

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

Old Man Mountain Divide
Downsides:

Ortlieb Quick Rack
Problems:

New Rack?

...and now the pics of the Ortlieb Quick Rack on the bike...

1709915783764.png 1709915817728.png 1709915831915.png

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I've had feedback from SKS that their Infinity Universal rack would be compatible with QL 3.1, but they don't recommend putting all the weight on one side (I've got a heavy laptop).

I'm waiting on feedback from Topeak re their TetraRack M2 and have just pinged Aero re their Spider Pannier Rack.

Also, it looks like Old Man Mountain isn't supplying the MIA version of their Divide to the EU, had I wanted to go for the eye-wateringly expensive option.

Definitely wishing I hadn't gone for QL 3.1. Looks like a neat system and minimises the sticky-out bits on the bag, but it's fiddly to mount the bag and compatibility with racks seems to be a big problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles