Rear hub failed.

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
Trek is going to cover it under warranty but I want to to upgrade to something better.
I'm a heavy rider on a heavy bike, so I want ones that will take the abuse and hopefully keep me from pushing my bike back to the trail head again.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
How did it fail? I would like to keep track of mine in case something is in the process of going out. I had it apart to install the 108 tooth upgrade and everything looked good

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I thought my rear tire slipped on a wet rock, but my buddy said the tire didn't spin, so I knew it was fkd. It still ratcheted . so I think the body where cassette rides broke off. I did’t bother taking it apart since they just installed a new cassette under warranty. let them deal with it.

Last edited:

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
It depends on what type terrain your riding on. Most any wheel will work on smooth flowing trails with no big jumps. I stay away from that rough chattery type trail...not fun to me.

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
These should take the abuse?

80BFFBFE-F5F0-4478-A209-9396B0FCEA6B.jpeg

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
Those Industry9 hubs and Flow wheels are very nice and strong, they should do the trick.

I just purchased and installed Spank 350 Vibracore wheels. These are about half the price. I ride mostly on paved smooth trails.

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
BTW my Rail 5 factory hub and wheel never failed, it was good as new after 1000 miles. I just had the extra money to try something different. I do know the factory hub is quieter while coasting. The racheting Spank hub is slightly louder. Much like the Industry 9 .

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I’m not a fan of loud hubs, hopefully with some grease they won’t be too bad.
The wheels are the Flow Ex3‘s. The videos on Stanes site is impressive, they should hold up well.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
I did the 108 tooth upgrade to my bontrager hub and it is noticeably louder, especially now as the grease has settled in

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles