Rear fender - reducing damage to frame and mud on chain

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi all, been looking at ways to stop mud accumulating on the frame at the lower pivot point as well as stopping small stones getting into this area which were getting trapped and damaging the frame.
Screenshot_20180401-091054.jpg

I already have a muckynutz front fender so I purchased another muckynutz front fender, but this time I went for the fat XL, and modified it slightly to fit in this area, basically it was a bit wide and was catching on the chain. The result has been better than I could have hoped. Very little mud is getting into this area and the chain is staying remarkably clean inc the jockey wheels - these were getting well choked up with mud.
The pics below show how it looks after 2off muddy rides - the pics speak for themselves ?
20180331_101653.jpg

20180331_101717.jpg

20180331_101724.jpg

The mud would pool in this area and then slide off on to the chain. This would then block up the jockey wheels as well as the chain guide.
Added some more images with it now clean ?
20180401_150240.jpg
20180401_150246.jpg
20180401_150300.jpg
20180401_150446.jpg
20180401_150526.jpg

Last edited:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Looks to be working pretty well.
But...
Did you cycle the rear suspension (removing the air from shock) to check clearance?
It's worth doing as it looks from your pics like the mudguard would rub on the chainstay yoke (and possibly the rear of the BB area) during compression and cause wear to your frame.
if it's unavoidable a section of heli tape on the rub areas might be a good idea.
Hi and thanks for the feedback. As the suspension compresses the fender moves away from the bottom bracket area, the fender could rub on the inside of the chain stay yoke, but only when mud hits it.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Looks to be working pretty well.
But...
Did you cycle the rear suspension (removing the air from shock) to check clearance?
It's worth doing as it looks from your pics like the mudguard would rub on the chainstay yoke (and possibly the rear of the BB area) during compression and cause wear to your frame.
if it's unavoidable a section of heli tape on the rub areas might be a good idea.
Added some more images.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I love these mud-huggers , most don’t because they don’t yhink they look cool , ? but I don’t think my back and expensive camelback looks or feels that cool covered in wet mud not to mention my helmet and eyes ? . I think it saves on a lot a wear and tear when you ride in the winter a lot , and it’s never clogged up even in wet snow
435D982D-8707-49FC-988D-29DDF32D3619.jpeg
435D982D-8707-49FC-988D-29DDF32D3619.jpeg

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nice bike.

Was this you back in the summer when you got the bike?

Only slightly cooler without mudhuggers ;)
Ha Ha yes but I didn’t get mine given to me
Sorry I didn’t see all the pics of your mudguard before , night sure they loaded , so hope my post didn’t seem rude
I think your mudguard is doing the job you want it to quite well it’s a tough area to protect , Iam looking to adapt something to protect that area a bit on my bike . It all saves wear on the chain suspension bearings and seatpost , not to mention the amount of mud that gets thrown down the back of your legs .

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I love these mud-huggers , most don’t because they don’t yhink they look cool , ? but I don’t think my back and expensive camelback looks or feels that cool covered in wet mud not to mention my helmet and eyes ? . I think it saves on a lot a wear and tear when you ride in the winter a lot , and it’s never clogged up even in wet snow View attachment 901 View attachment 901
Hi, I'm new here looking for a solution for my rear end! Is that a Commencal Meta 29? Also is that the Mudhugger rear 29? Finally, what did you fit to protect the motor?

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
I run a Mudhugger xl front on the rear, this protects the back of the motor housing and suspension/linkage from mud and stones, just needs a slight trim for the chain clearance

Even on full compression the guard protects the frame, you do have to tape up any rub areas to stop paint damage over time, been running it like this for 18 months with great results

Just added a Mudhugger 29er to this set up so now i have full coverage from the bottom of the motor housing all the way up and over the back wheel, looks ugly as hell but i get no mud on me the motor or linkage area

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Just adding info really:

Sicom MTB Products have a limited range of rear two part mudguards (and front btw). I’ve had two of their versions on Levos and simply can’t fault the way the system they use at the rear protects the linkages and the rear-most entry point to the motor area. Tested in good old Yorkshire mud ?

Mounting requires disassembling one part of the suspension (one link) to correctly clip in one of the two parts of the guard. So, you’ll need a torque wrench, but they provide an excellent YT vid to help, including torque numbers for reassembly. Really, it’s simple, just borrow the wrench from a mate maybe.

The point is, taking this route has maximised the space for different widths of tyre/tread that you might put on in winter.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm running this Muckynutz mudguard short. It's working really well too, it's been on since December and has done some very muddy rides.

Screenshot_20210427-151313_Gallery.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles