Realistic Range ... am I Expecting to much?

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Hi

I am about to enter a 3 day stage race, where each day is about 60km with about 1200m of climbing.

I am going to get a ebike this week for the race in 2 weeks time and I am wondering if this is a realistic use of the Bike,?

I will be charging it every night after the race.

the bike im looking at is :

Men's Turbo Levo FSR Short Travel 29

It is the entry level version with the 460Wh battery.

Im a light rider 67kg so hoping the battery would make the distance?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

THanks

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
Different bike, different rider and different path, but FWIW: I'm 68 kg, bike is Lapierre 527i Shimano, 500 Wh battery.

I managed a 60 km ride with 1400 m of climb mostly (95%) in Eco mode. The battery was practically flat after that, estimated remaining range was 1 km, Strava trace. I wouldn't count on racing similar distance with a similar or smaller capacity battery.

Capture1.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi

I am about to enter a 3 day stage race, where each day is about 60km with about 1200m of climbing.

I am going to get a ebike this week for the race in 2 weeks time and I am wondering if this is a realistic use of the Bike,?

THanks
I think the distance is ok, but being a Race, you’d want a decent level of assistance I guess?

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
thanks for your replay, mmm seems that I might have to carry a spare battery in my pack then.

cheekynuke

Apr 3, 2018
Buckinghamshire
Hi

THanks

I'm new to the Ebike thing and was lucky enough to try a Trek Powerfly 7. I was very impressed. I've been looking at the specs for the Levo so i will be interested to learn what you think of it if you buy one. It looks much nicer than the Trek but iv'e read about lag from the motor unlike the Bosch unit on the Trek. This pretty much seemed to kick in isntantly the crack levelled.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Take a look at the bulls that has the ability to carry 2 batteries for 750wh. It's a clever idea to lower the weight for shorter rides using one battery.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think managing the battery is part of the race and that’s also makes it interesting. I tested my Shimano equipped Commencal Meta Power and the battery flatted @ 46km/1400m in eco mode. I’m 85kg and with spare battery and camera equipment in the backpack the weight was ~100kg. Next time I rode without extra weight and the battery dropped one bar (20%) in every 400m elevation instead of every 300m. The weight has huge effect on the battery life @70kg the 60km/1200m shouldn’t be a problem with a 500Wh battery but obviously you cannot run in turbo mode.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles