Re-use of Quick Links (Shimano) and PowerLocks (SRAM) on 12 speed drives

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I've just taken delivery of another handful of Quick Links and PowerLocks for Shimano and SRAM 12sp drives on our new Focus EMTBs.

From the reading I've done, both these speed links, specifically for 11 speed and 12 speed cassettes, have a "notch" which gets damaged when they are undone, which is why the manufacturers say they should not be re-used.

Is this being needlessly conservative? Throwing away two speed links every couple of weeks when I deep clean the chains is getting to feel really wasteful. It's also making chain waxing look a expensive option.

What are your experiences?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. it's BS
I split and re-join 12spd quick/powerlock links pretty much daily servicing punters bikes.
Never had a single issue.
Just make sure you use the correct tool to split and join 'em

Must be costing you a fortune for 2 links every fortnight.

what sort of mileage do you do?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Yeah. it's BS
I split and re-join 12spd quick/powerlock links pretty much daily servicing punters bikes.
Never had a single issue.

Thanks Gary. That's exactly the sort of experience which is so useful.

Just make sure you use the correct tool to split and join 'em

Ah, so I do need the pliers which have the joining capability as well? So far I just done it by standing on the pedal having joined the chain at the top.

Must be costing you a fortune for 2 links every fortnight.

what sort of mileage do you do?

About 150km a week. The bikes are new, so I've only done it the once so far on mine and twice on the boss' bike. At 3.50€ a pop per chain, it's starting to look cheaper to ignore the drive chain and replace everything when it wears out! :(

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I wonder if this is to avoid owners damaging the links by removing them without the correct tool and blaming the Coy?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Why are you deep cleaning it every 2 weeks ? A friend doesn’t even oil his and with no issues for years !

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Just a quick update on this. I re-fitted the quick links on the two chains I was using in rotation, waxing every 200-250km.

I changed out the complete drive chain last week at 5000km because the chain was starting to suck on the front sprocket and changing at the rear was getting a bit hit and miss. The chains still claimed to be around 0.5% according to the wear gauge.

So I guess I changed out each link around a dozen times with no failure. Each time I fitted it, I twisted the chain to see if it had clicked home properly.

I'd got so used to how "gentle" the quick links were to fit that it was a real shock fitting a new one and having to use brute strength (in short supply) to be able to click it in place.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
KMC sell official multi-use versions of theirs. I think single use means good for the life of the chain rather than can only be opened/removed once.

Obviously people can make their own choice and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that they are reusable, but not according to Manufacturers info;

KMC guide;

1605713942228.png

Sram's website;

1605714499502.png

Shimano Dealer manual;

1605714727841.png

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I think the chain manufacturers' cautionary advice is to put the responsibility on to the user. As has been said many times, use the right tool to disengage the link. I would always use link pliers to install the link, if i don't sense a click, the link is shot (never have by the way).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles