Rail spoke size is 280mm

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Well that's the size spokes needed for my rail7 bontragers. I'm posting this in case anyone needs to go into a shop to buy one then get told to bring the wheel in - then get told 2 days later when the next spoke breaks to bring the wheel in ...again.
Also a good tip is if a spoke breaks tape the nipple/spoke in place on the track so the tyre etc doesn't have to be removed for the replacement spoke.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I snapped two spokes on the rear rim last week and took the wheel to my local dealer. He sold me 2 spokes for 2 bucks each but said they are asymmetric. The nipples were still in place since they snapped close to the hub, so it was easy just to slide in the new spokes and tighten them up.

The dealer said that if I snapped any more spokes he would cut them to length based on what side snapped. I think he said the asymmetry was only a few mm or so. This is the first bike I've snapped spokes on. Bent rims before but never had spokes just snap on level ground.

spokes.PNG

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Ahh ok so maybe that's why I had to take them into the shop.
I initally broke one spoke at the hub, wedged it into the rest of the spokes to carry on the ride, forgot about it then the derailleur snapped the next ride. I assumed I hit a rock but wonder now if the spoke got loose & caught in the chain pulling the deraileur back. Got it fixed then next ride another broke & while fixing that saw another bent which I think may have been from the derailleur hitting the wheel.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have to agree with @Doug Stampfer . Neighbour broke one rear spoke the other day. He was on smooth terrain at the time. (Rail 9.7). The LBS suggested 32 spokes instead of 28, or install better spokes. He’s a fairly aggressive rider and has already bent an alloy rim. Son-in-law changed to carbon wheels after a few casing (Rail 7). He seems to be happy with the new bling-bling and coloured spokes. He’s fearless and jumps a lot.

I kinda need to give a shout-out to this niche LBS. They don’t sell bikes but cater to the MTB crowd …and now the eMTB crowd. They’re not afraid to share some trade secrets and are very helpful when we visit. At least 70% of our parts and repairs are now at IMBY Cycles in Coquitlam, BC.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles