Can't transport it by air
Harder to bunny hop or pull a wheelie on
Much harder to lift over a gate or fence
More time consuming to clean
More things to go wrong
Have to charge it up

E Bike advantages:
Higher power output

If I'm going to put up with all those disadvantages then the one advantage (higher power output) had better be substantial to be worth it

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
More expensive to buy
1642361082197.png

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I would expect to pay £5½K for an EMTB and £3½K for an analogue mountain bike with full suspension. What is so much better about the bikes that cost five figures?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
E Bike disadvantages:
1. More expensive to buy
2. Much more time consuming and expensive to maintain
3. Can't transport it by air
4. Harder to bunny hop or pull a wheelie on
5. Much harder to lift over a gate or fence
6. More time consuming to clean
7. More things to go wrong
8. Have to charge it up

E Bike advantages:
Higher power output

If I'm going to put up with all those disadvantages then the one advantage (higher power output) had better be substantial to be worth it

Not that i'm arguing for the sake of it, as i've had both, but:

1. Not really, as shown.
2. Questionable additional cost, riding like for like distances & not being a 'typical' e-bike wobbler (riding up hills at 45rpm in turbo with the seat down). More time consuming? No.
3. You can.
4. Nope, not harder. The principle doesn't change, just because the bike is a bit heavier.
5. My KSL weighs about 3-4kg more than my normal bike. If I can't lift something thats 20kg max over my head, I probably need to spend a bit more time in a gym. I also can't remember the last time I lifted any bike over a gate or a fence.
6. Nope, it's still a bike.
7. Ok, will give you that, especially with a Brose motor. Considerably less likely with the Mahle.
8. Yes, i'll give you that, but hardly a deal breaker. I hang it in the rack & plug it in. Takes me maybe an additional couple of seconds of my life.

Still would pick my KSL over my previous Levo, for any situation.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Chuffing hell, I can't believe anyone can even say that an E Bike putting 600W through the drive train that just eats cassettes and chains is not going to be more expensive to maintain than an alalogue bike which half the time gets hiked up the hill with zero wear. That's without mentioning the horrendous internal routing, the rock guards that regularly get striked and of cause all the electrical equipment that can get damaged.

I have much less wheelie success with the E Bike than an analogue bike and a bunny hop takes a LOT more effort. So much so that I don't do them as much.

Transporting by air is so difficult that most just say avoid it if you can. I'm not considering taking my Turbo Levo Comp to my next holiday, but rather my analogue bike which sadly is much lower specced and a lot less capable at both climbing and descending.

Lifting over fences is common around NW England sadly. Locked 5 foot gates are the norm by dolt selfish killjoy land owners - I've heard reports of someone recieving shoulder damage lifting an analogue bike over fences let alone a 25kg E Bike! It's not just the weight, bikes in general are very awkward objects to lift over 5 foot fences and walls. Lifting a 25kg weight above my head is easy. Lifting a 25kg E Bike over a gate is a different burden altogether and requires putting pressure on joints in awkard positions when reaching far and down to put the bike on the ground at the other side. Bad movement leads to injury.

Proper battery management is more than a few seconds, but more like full-on hassle. For example, avoiding overcharging, timing to turn off when fully charged. Charging to 50-60% if it's not going to be used the next day. All this requiring good planning and timing all the time. EMBN even recommends keeping the battery at room temperature.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Bowls or bingo are less taxing although I did once get dobbed in the eye with a bingo pen on a drunken night out in donny 🤪

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles