Pre lockdown ride ?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Cooks Cairn today too much snow filled in roads on Corriehabbie so changed plan a bit .
20200318_131440.jpg
20200318_133221.jpg
20200318_135826.jpg

20200318_131041.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I fully intend to ride my bike. I will be carrying it on the towbar rack, be driving by myself in my own car. I will not be arranging to meet anybody and where I ride I do not usually even see other riders. It will keep me fit and will avoid the worst effects of staying at home all the time. This is not only safer and better for me than visiting the supermarket (an allowed activity).

Where is the harm in that?

And even if a buddy did agree to ride with me, it is so easy to stay many meters apart that we would both surely still be safe.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I fully intend to ride my bike. I will be carrying it on the towbar rack, be driving by myself in my own car. I will not be arranging to meet anybody and where I ride I do not usually even see other riders. It will keep me fit and will avoid the worst effects of staying at home all the time. This is not only safer and better for me than visiting the supermarket (an allowed activity).

And even if a buddy did agree to ride with me, it is so easy to stay many meters apart that we would both surely still be safe.

Completely agree Steve, I hardly see anyone where I ride, and those I do are swerved by a couple of metres at least. also, I thought the advice was to get out in the open to stop going stir crazy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Me too but if there is a lockdown it's game over Steve . No sneekin out in the dark .

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
I totally agree to with Steve i will riding both my bike usually solo i hasten to add. Just as long as common sense is used then no harm is done in my view. Plus i can just imagine the authorities really bothering chasing me up over the moors in their little Hyundai panda car!!;)
BTW yes i am lucky enough to have bridleways straight out of my door so no travelling through urbanised areas involved therefore no public contact as the nearest i get to contact when i am out is maybe a passing hello!.(y)
Regards
Dave.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I totally agree to with Steve i will riding both my bike along with my motorcycles. Just as long as common sense is used then no harm is done in my view.
Regards
Dave.
I agree but if there is a lockdown you won't be allowed out simple as that .Oh officer I'm just out on a priority Ebike run. Ok Dave on you go enjoy.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm sure @GrahamPaul can give you some feedback from a full lock down place (Spain). All I know so far from there is his sex life is back at where it was 40 years ago.. so it's not all bad - just don't tell his wife ... :)

Anyway .. back on track. We're on "lock down" in France.. If they do like here, you're allowed to go out and walk your dog and you're allowed to go out for work, medical reasons, to help someone who needs medical assistance and fortunately, also to go out and exercise. The last ones a bit of a grey area and needs a bit of common sense. In towns/cities, they've had to clamp down on people out walking - who are probably taking the pee and actually just off to see their friends. It's more built up so it's about reducing interaction. They've also clamped down on people going out on boats, in theory, if it's just you, that should be ok, but again people were going in groups and meeting friends and so on, so that's been banned now due to the numpties.

I went out on the bike today for a ride and some trail clearing. I live literally 2 meters from a trail and less than 400 meters from a DH. Normally, I see no one...

Today I saw several people ! As people are off work I saw a father with two kids out and about on the trails, a brother and a sister out on bikes, several people walking, people walking dogs and being the country, people out cutting trees and so on. Fortunately everyone was sensible, was friendly and polite, but everyone kept their distances. As long as people are sensible, they shouldn't lock it down further.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Can't remember last time I saw the police near where I live, unless Boris puts the army on the streets there is no chance they could enforce a lock down and can you imagine what it will be like with the kids not at school

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm sure @GrahamPaul can give you some feedback from a full lock down place (Spain). All I know so far from there is his sex life is back at where it was 40 years ago.. so it's not all bad - just don't tell his wife ... :)

Anyway .. back on track. We're on "lock down" in France.. If they do like here, you're allowed to go out and walk your dog and you're allowed to go out for work, medical reasons, to help someone who needs medical assistance and fortunately, also to go out and exercise. The last ones a bit of a grey area and needs a bit of common sense. In towns/cities, they've had to clamp down on people out walking - who are probably taking the pee and actually just off to see their friends. It's more built up so it's about reducing interaction. They've also clamped down on people going out on boats, in theory, if it's just you, that should be ok, but again people were going in groups and meeting friends and so on, so that's been banned now due to the numpties.

I went out on the bike today for a ride and some trail clearing. I live literally 2 meters from a trail and less than 400 meters from a DH. Normally, I see no one...

Today I saw several people ! As people are off work I saw a father with two kids out and about on the trails, a brother and a sister out on bikes, several people walking, people walking dogs and being the country, people out cutting trees and so on. Fortunately everyone was sensible, was friendly and polite, but everyone kept their distances. As long as people are sensible, they shouldn't lock it down further.
Hopefully you are right but UK police force not like French ones are there are too many jobs worth here. Great if you are bordering on countryside and in the wild but can't see us getting away with driving or cycling through the town and saying I'm just of on a 3 hour cycle trip 4 times a week. Will eat a smelly kipper if I'm wrong. Find out soon enough I think.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I agree but if there is a lockdown you won't be allowed out simple as that .Oh officer I'm just out on a priority Ebike run. Ok Dave on you go enjoy.

All the youngsters in my cycle club were full of the same bravado last week. About how no one was going to worry about them sneeking out into the forest for a quick ride (alone, on their bikes!).

Come the lock down on Sunday morning - which had originally been announced for Monday but was changed at 10pm on Saturday night - the Guardia were very quick to publicise nicking a few cyclists who tried to do exactly that (not from our area). The fines start at 300€, going up to 3000€ for a second offence and 60,000€ (not a misprint!) for persistent arseholes.

The bravado locally was replaced by putting the money saved in fines towards a BKool turbo trainer - and the guys have their own subgroup now.

There was one youngster (a university student who had been in Seville - a hot spot) who was still mouthing off about going out but not posting on Strava. He was met with a shit storm in our closed WhatsApp group.

Lots of complaints from Brits living in Spain on their various FB groups about being stopped by their local policeman on Sunday morning while out for a stroll, having their details taken, and being told to expect a fine in the post. That's probably not going to happen but that 300€ is a great incentive to do what you are told. (Although Spain will probably be so broke at the end of this that they may well chase up every fine they think they can collect).

Edit: sorry, I thought I'd better check the fines. I was wrong, the first fine is between 600€ and 1500€ (not sure why the difference but it is probably down to whether it's an individual or a group). Evidence below as asked for in another thread.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-15 at 1.42.00 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Even in countries that are under lockdown, they are still allowed to go to the supermarket at set times and surely must be allowed out to walk dogs etc?

As above - I can often ride for a couple of hours and not see a single person. Sometimes I pass by a few and shout ‘morning’. Sometimes I see some people having a rest at the summit and have a chat.
I’m sure I can quite easily avoid stopping near people or can stay 2-3m away if I’m desperate to speak to them.

I’m a fair weather golfer too, and will still be golfing - minus the handshakes.
Other than that 2 second gesture at the end of the round, I’m probably never within 2 metres of the people I’m playing with - and it’s an outdoor activity, so I’ve little chance of spreading germs now I don’t even need to take the flag out!!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I'm sure @GrahamPaul can give you some feedback from a full lock down place (Spain). All I know so far from there is his sex life is back at where it was 40 years ago..

That is true! 40 years ago I was living with my wife. I then changed to a job which took me all over the world. We slept in separate beds... in separate houses... in separate towns... in separate countries... for the next 38 years. A lot of that time I was in Holland and Germany, so we visited each other every other weekend (her place in Britain one week, mine in DE or NL the following). She stayed a bit longer when I was working in Thailand and South Korea...

Then, last November I retired. We no live together again just like 40 years ago. How did you know that @Zimmerframe ? :eek:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Even in countries that are under lockdown, they are still allowed to go to the supermarket at set times and surely must be allowed out to walk dogs etc?

As above - I can often ride for a couple of hours and not see a single person. Sometimes I pass by a few and shout ‘morning’. Sometimes I see some people having a rest at the summit and have a chat.
I’m sure I can quite easily avoid stopping near people or can stay 2-3m away if I’m desperate to speak to them.

I’m a fair weather golfer too, and will still be golfing - minus the handshakes.
Other than that 2 second gesture at the end of the round, I’m probably never within 2 metres of the people I’m playing with - and it’s an outdoor activity, so I’ve little chance of spreading germs now I don’t even need to take the flag out!!

Here in Spain you are allowed out to walk your dog, but must return home as soon as your dog has been emptied. From what I heard in a WhatsApp group last night, folks are not backwards in reporting people who have walked a dog passed by their front door for the 14th time that afternoon.

As for not seeing people in the countryside - the experience here and in Argentina was that as soon as the "lock down" happened every one headed for the parks, mountains and beaches. Places that were usually deserted suddenly had traffic jams. Hence the massive fines.

Stay safe and don't do anything risky. A broken arm or leg is not a good idea at the moment. I broke a tooth (on a bread roll) and am stuck until the end of the lock down. Although I am legally entitled to see a dentist, the dentists have decided they'd rather not get that close and personal.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
All the youngsters in my cycle club were full of the same bravado last week. About how no one was going to worry about them sneeking out into the forest for a quick ride (alone, on their bikes!).

Come the lock down on Sunday morning - which had originally been announced for Monday but was changed at 10pm on Saturday night - the Guardia were very quick to publicise nicking a few cyclists who tried to do exactly that (not from our area). The fines start at 300€, going up to 3000€ for a second offence and 60,000€ (not a misprint!) for persistent arseholes.

The bravado locally was replaced by putting the money saved in fines towards a BKool turbo trainer - and the guys have their own subgroup now.

There was one youngster (a university student who had been in Seville - a hot spot) who was still mouthing off about going out but not posting on Strava. He was met with a shit storm in our closed WhatsApp group.

Lots of complaints from Brits living in Spain on their various FB groups about being stopped by their local policeman on Sunday morning while out for a stroll, having their details taken, and being told to expect a fine in the post. That's probably not going to happen but that 300€ is a great incentive to do what you are told. (Although Spain will probably be so broke at the end of this that they may well chase up every fine they think they can collect).
N
Here in Spain, the army/civil defence were out doing recce in all the small towns yesterday. Just getting ready for if they are needed.

Aumentan los efectivos de las patrullas de Infantería de Marina
Just saying no-one knows what will happen in UK, if you live in countryside you are probably ok . But to say im just going to go out whenever I fancy and sod all is not really on. A big fine will soon sort that out. As i write this i heard through a source a minute ago london on lockdown tomorrow military already preparing. Good luck hopefully a cycle run is the least of my problems.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

N

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Gp - thanks for details on how it's working.

Imagine how stressful it must be enforcing these social measures. Guardia workers are not only exposed to higher numbers of potential carriers, but also the shallow end of the gene pool.....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles