Powerfly Powerfly FS7 gear cable

simmo69

Jan 19, 2023
North Somerset, UK
First post; please be gentle :)

I'm trying to renew the gear cable (inner and outer) but can't work out how to free the cable in the motor area. It is too tight to pull through. Surely I don't have to drop the mottor to route this cable?

Any help mucho appreciated

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
First post; please be gentle :)

I'm trying to renew the gear cable (inner and outer) but can't work out how to free the cable in the motor area. It is too tight to pull through. Surely I don't have to drop the mottor to route this cable?

Any help mucho appreciated
You may have to drop the motor to route the cable. This also ensures any pinch points are navigated smoothly.
Sometimes a new replacement cable, which is lubricated well, will do the trick.

Replacing the cable and cable sleeve can be a bit of work.

simmo69

Jan 19, 2023
North Somerset, UK
I had a horrible feeling that may be the case. Dropping the motor is a scary prospect. any hints or tips, or can you direct me to a guide/ video on how to do it?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If this your first time dropping a motor, take pictures of your disassembly steps for reference later. There may be some videos available that show the entire process. I’m assuming this is a cx gen4 motor also.
Torque wrench, Torx 40 Plus socket, and some basic shop tools. No need to remove the cranks or chainring, just slip the chain over and out of the way. Gently remove the electrical connectors from the motor (the main power connector has a snap feature, be careful). A small cable sheath connector helps thread the new cable through the tricky parts (stem area, battery compartment etc).

Don’t use a bike stand, flip the bike on the bars after the wheels are removed.

The entire process is not too bad if you have the tools and the time at first. Having a LBS drop the motor can be costly but if you diy those funds can go towards upgrades. (And you’ll look like a hero to the neighbours). image.jpg
If you take your time and use the proper tools the entire process will take a few hours. There’s many other steps involved but I only touch on a few. My first motor drop was a learning experience but after several removals it became easier. Take your time, get the proper tools, and have a beer after you’re done. 👍🏻

simmo69

Jan 19, 2023
North Somerset, UK
I've got the bike upside down, removed the protection plate under the motor and removed the 6 motor mounting bolts. Should the motor now just come out. It's loose but doesn't seem to want to come. I don't want to be too rough in case there is something else I have to do first?

I presume the electrics are only accessible for disconnection once the motor is removed from the bike?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles