Possible rattling battery on a 2020 e150rs

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Has anyone ever had this with their Whyte, while out on my last ride I was getting a loud rattle, I checked the frame pivots and bearings which are all new and all is fine with them as too are the headset bearings which are also new, I’ve not been able to check the battery yet as I’ve been ill with
🤮🤮&💩💩☹️☹️
If anyone has had this issue I’d really like to know please

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Back to the drawer board then
if this was only soon after changing the headset bearings, they may be the source of the rattle as they displace excess grease used when installed. Easy to check for slack at the headtube with the front brake on.
Other than that you really need to narrow things down a little.
Is the noise there all the time even on tarmac or just over rough ground?
Is the rattle still there riding the bike with the system switched off?
Still there seated or up on the pedals?
Still there freewheeling and pedalling?
Is there a rattle just turning the cranks over with the bike in a stand?

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Not Whyte but all my bikes developed rattles , one was loose controller , two were loose battery, fixed/glued with some thin rubber mating that is used to put under microwaves etc to stop them sliding on benches etc

IMG_20230807_133108.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On the pre 2023 Whyte emtbs the battery connector is at the bottom of the battery and cables that go down from the grommets in the top tube into the downtube go down to that connector. It means they need to be kept taught taking any slack out by gently pulling the cables at the grommets. This also applies when removing the battery or you risk jamming the battery in the downtube. Cable rattle may be the problem here.
The battery is well secured and held to the downtube by a bolt and the wiring connector. However the "stop" at the top of the battery is merely a bolt .......and if the battery is replaced with the bike upturned and just allowed to fall onto that bolt , it can bend the bolt. You will then have a lose battery. Easy fix.....remove the battery...remove the bolt and replace it.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
On the pre 2023 Whyte emtbs the battery connector is at the bottom of the battery and cables that go down from the grommets in the top tube into the downtube go down to that connector. It means they need to be kept taught taking any slack out by gently pulling the cables at the grommets. This also applies when removing the battery or you risk jamming the battery in the downtube. Cable rattle may be the problem here.
The battery is well secured and held to the downtube by a bolt and the wiring connector. However the "stop" at the top of the battery is merely a bolt .......and if the battery is replaced with the bike upturned and just allowed to fall onto that bolt , it can bend the bolt. You will then have a lose battery. Easy fix.....remove the battery...remove the bolt and replace it.
First of all guys, thanks for your replies and please forgive me for not replying until now, when I didn’t reply a reply first time around I forgot about this post, anyway, Mike, thanks for your reply mate, you’ve certainly given me plenty of things to check out, from memory, the last time I went out, the rattling was a heavy one up the front end of my bike and it sounded like a metallic sound so a loose battery would fit the bill, it was only evident going downhill on rough ground and coasting without peddling, that’s the only time I’ve heard it, I’ve been busy with work and not at home so unable to check it, if I’m able, I’ll check it tomorrow but I’ll also have a look at the headset bearings too just in case, many thanks for your suggestions Mike and everyone else too, it’s very much appreciated, even after more than 4 years of mountain biking I’ve realised I’m still on a steep learning curve 😉

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Today I’ve been working on my bike and for the life of me I still can’t find where that dang rattle is coming from, I’ve whipped out my battery four times now and fixed some neoprene tape in places that looks like it might be coming into contact with the downtube but as soon as I push the bloody thing back in it rips off as it’s such a tight fit, even the stuff that’s on there already is tight against the inside of frame so it can’t be that, then I had a eureka moment, I’ll try simulating the rough ground by dropping my bike from height thinking it could be the bedded in headset bearings but they’re as tight as a cunns nunt, the only other thing that I thought it could be was my front mudguard, I took it off and so far there’s nothing, I’ll only find out for sure when I’m going down a gnarly trail at speed,🤞that’s it as it was really annoying 😡

PS, my teeth are not the cause 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles