Portes du Soleil - uplift ? riding up trails ?

Iain101

May 15, 2023
French Alps
Hi All!

I am very much a newbie electric mountain biker, I just recently moved to the French Alps (Portes du Soleil) and am curious about something. I've been planning some cross country rides where I live and as I am not really an adrenaline junkie, mainly following the 4x4 tracks. I see that some of these tracks are in use during the season and I would be riding uphill against the flow of traffic on some parts. When I am riding out of season, I guess this isnt a problem, but come June...

As far as I know so far, electric bikes are not allowed on the lifts, so to get up there, I have to ride uphill...

My question to you is what are the general rules of mountain biking? Can I ride uphill on these sections? SHOULD I ride uphill on these sections? For some of the routes, there isnt really an alternative way to go.

Many Thanks!!

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Are they chemins with a road number? Would look like CV2 or whatever number. If so, yes, it's a public road. If in doubt you can go to the Mairie and ask. If they are private people usually put up a sign. Or just go for it and see if anyone yells at you. If it's on a 25000 map it's probably a public track, too. Watch out for horses and walkers.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
If you are talking about Morzine area then Ebikes are fine to put on the lifts.

You can ride up the VTT's but I would just be wary of people coming down and try to move out of their way. You might actually have priority but if it was me I'd rather let those descending keep their flow.

shlomob

May 18, 2023
israel
Hi All!

I am very much a newbie electric mountain biker, I just recently moved to the French Alps (Portes du Soleil) and am curious about something. I've been planning some cross country rides where I live and as I am not really an adrenaline junkie, mainly following the 4x4 tracks. I see that some of these tracks are in use during the season and I would be riding uphill against the flow of traffic on some parts. When I am riding out of season, I guess this isnt a problem, but come June...

As far as I know so far, electric bikes are not allowed on the lifts, so to get up there, I have to ride uphill...

My question to you is what are the general rules of mountain biking? Can I ride uphill on these sections? SHOULD I ride uphill on these sections? For some of the routes, there isnt really an alternative way to go.

Many Thanks!!
as for the lifts- the policy of each resort may be different from the other one next to it. you live there, contact them and find out!
for the 4x4 tracks, the only rule which is mandatory is the officiale traffic rule. if there is a sign of "no entry for all vehicles", or specific for some types of vehicles like bikes or carriege with horses, etc. you may enter and use it. no matter how crowded the way is.
BUT REMEMBER THE RULE: IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO BE CLEVER THAN TO BE RIGHT! IF YOU SEE A HUGE TRUCK ROAMING ONTO YOU GIVE WAY!

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds
Went all over the area last year and every lift took e-bikes, the only restriction is they ask you to detach external mounted batteries and carry them with you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles