Plugged maxxis tyre

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok so had my first puncture today on my tubeless maxxis minion dhr. It was right in the centre and fairly big which the sealant didn’t seal so, I have plugged it and got it back up with my co2 shot. My question is, is it safe to ride from now on or should I buy a new one? Co2 has been replaced with air and it seems to be holding air.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I’ve had a couple of big holes (needed to use my largest worms that are 4mm) and were a fight to fix fail a few months later after the tyre wears, , so from now on it it’s big and was a fight to fix with worms I’ll use a mushroom from the inside when I get home. Since then I’ve now got a stans dart (stated use for 5mm plus holes), but not used it in anger, , so hopefully that’ll deal with the big stuff better And May not need mushrooming.

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
If I get a large puncture that I don’t think the plug will hold I remove the tyre and patch it from the inside with regular superglue and a cut-out of old inner tube. I have never had one of those fail.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Any plug is not going to last as long as patching from the inside. I never leave a plug for long because they tend to pop out or get pulled out later on when riding.

Pick up a kit at auto parts store, follow instructions and use the included rubber cement and let dry overnight. These keep gashed tires going for months or longer.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
I must say I didn’t fancy taking the tyre off and patching it from the inside. May see how I get on with it just plugged for now

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
It really depends how big the hole is, if it's from a thorn or is a very small hole a plug can be fine, if it's a larger cut and requires more than one plug, it's likely not going to last. Sometimes a car sized plug comes in handy, bigger than bacon strips.

One detail on patching from inside, once you've cleaned out the sealant and roughened the inside tire surface, apply the rubber cement to patch and tire and allow it to dry to the touch before pressing together, it will become much sticker, and will hold much faster. Do this with the tire turned inside out. While letting it dry, occasionally press in on patch with your fingers for the first hour or so, or find a method to clamp it between 2 pcs of wood or something heavy pressing down directly on the patch.

I will say it took me a few attempts to get right but once you have a method down it's easy. If done right will last as long as the tire.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles