Please share - E8000 bearing failure

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
G'day all,

Can you please share your experiences here related to Shimano E8000/E7000 BB bearing failure? In particular i am looking for videos and reports of this problem/warranty repair being carried out.

over the passed 18 months i have seen numerous complaints and videos to show this - on this forum, facebook groups, instagram etc. I would like to compile a few examples to present to Shimano locally.

My drive unit has this problem - radial play to BB bearings - cranks and chain ring can visibly be seen to move and can be moved enough to create a noise. I have also intermittently experienced the "coffee grinder" noise from the drive unit which seems to accompany this failure.

My bike has been in the shop nearly 2 months and we are still yet to have the problem acknowledged and repaired, i am being told it is normal. I am becoming very frustrated!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No.

Sorry. but you can't use examples from other people's broken motors to have your own issue acknowledged.
Ideally you should have contacted the shop the bike/motor was bought from but If your LBS is a shimano dealer they should have started a warranty claim with your countries shimano distributor 2 months ago and your motor should have been sent to them for assessment.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
It's been sent to Shimano already. A firmware update was carried out, the motor was placed into a test bike, ridden for a bit and they noted no "error codes present" and sent it back to the LBS. The LBS is where i bought the bike originally.

There is an obvious play in the BB bearing. I thought this in itself would be enough. Also I previously managed to grab a video when i was riding the bike which demonstrates a loud grinding/clicking noise from the motor, i also supplied this video. Unfortunately this noise has happened intermittently - of course it isn't doing it right now, but it was on the ride prior to sending it into the shop.

I know that this isn't an isolated issue, i was hoping to find other examples of this problem posted here which will demonstrate the exact same noise.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're really not getting this are you?
I have been through many Shimano motors because of bearing play and have videos of the play (and other issues) from a few of them but that's completely irrelevant to you and YOUR motor.
From what you are saying it sounds like a break down in communication between you, your bike shop and the distributor.
it sounds to me like your bike shop did not make it clear that the fault was bearing play on the warranty claim form.
Any video evidence sent to your Shimano distributor needs to be done through the bike shop. and it needs to be footage of YOUR MOTOR not the motor of some random off a forum.
go back to the shop. explain (and physically show) the bearing play to them and get them to call the dist.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles