E8000 "bottom bracket" bearing play after 1400km

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Just as long as you don’t end up kicking yourself if someone takes your data and makes a go of a Shimano version of Berkshire Cycles

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
They have a really good reputation for changing out Specialized Brose motors on same day turn around.
They must have motors on the shelf available and just send knackered ones back for repair. I don't think Shimano have enough for shops to be able to do that at the moment. Actually, that gives me an idea. I've got two Shimano E8000 motors spare. I could just do a same day turn round and just swap peoples knackered motors for refurbed ones and then refurb theirs at my leisure...… Although it depends what state the motor was in and the two I have are brand new so don't really want to let them go. I'll give it a bit more thought.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
They must have motors on the shelf available and just send knackered ones back for repair.

See Rob's video 'behind the scenes' - that is exactly the set up BS have.

That would be the way to do it for motors - just look at what TF Tuned have created out of servicing shocks for people who cannot do it themselves and see where they are now as a one stop supplier/fettler/service centre.

Within five years there will be a few big setups like TF tuned with agreements in place with Brose/Shimano/Bosch etc for this very reason. We need to remember just how relatively young this (sub-section of MTB) industry is.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I put a comment on a Sam Pilgrim video of him ebiking in the Canaries asking how he had got round the battery issue and he said they had hired the batteries locally.
Maybe rental spots are opening up, or maybe he was pulling my leg?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think we will be seeing Shimano service centres soon enough - Bosch already have them, on of my inlays who lives in France had a same day drop and collect motor swap at a local shop out there.

From what I can see from the Forum, and other sites, the Shimano is pretty much the most reliable system out there.

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
My E8000 BB bearings are starting to die at 1100 km, 3.5 months of riding.
When moving the cranks side to side with my hands i feel a slight play. Still not noticeable when riding the bike, no creaking noises either.
Very disappointed. The BB bearings on my normal bike were still perfect at 7500 km, when i sold it.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
My E8000 BB bearings are starting to die at 1100 km, 3.5 months of riding.
When moving the cranks side to side with my hands i feel a slight play. Still not noticeable when riding the bike, no creaking noises either.
Very disappointed. The BB bearings on my normal bike were still perfect at 7500 km, when i sold it.

According to Shimano that’s perfectly normal. There’s a washer that allows movement on the axle for heat expansion.

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
According to Shimano that’s perfectly normal. There’s a washer that allows movement on the axle for heat expansion.
I know the axial play is normal but I also have angular play which is the problem. I have the same problem as the guy who posted the video on the first page. In my case the play is not visually noticeable but it's there, I can feel it with my hands.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I know the axial play is normal but I also have angular play which is the problem. I have the same problem as the guy who posted the video on the first page. In my case the play is not visually noticeable but it's there, I can feel it with my hands.
I've seen a few of these "cry wolf" scenarios on here and other sites, crying about what might go wrong if it gets any worse. interestingly I cant find one single example of it "getting worse". Just ride ya bike, you've got lots of warranty left. if it actually fails let us know. indications are that won't happen!!

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I've now got the dreaded drive side creaking and some bb play. Suspect it's back to Wiggle. Anyone tried to phone any Shimano service centers to see if they'll do the motors?

Never buying another direct to consumer bike again that's for sure. I'll be getting a Kenevo next at this rate just so I can deal with a human in a shop with what my friends describe as the best bike service they've had (Berkshire by the way). Anything sub £100 I've just fixed myself to save the hassle.

To be fair though I think I use it like Gary. 15+ft gaps aren't uncommon and I do ride it like a DH bike.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I've now got the dreaded drive side creaking and some bb play. Suspect it's back to Wiggle. Anyone tried to phone any Shimano service centers to see if they'll do the motors?

Never buying another direct to consumer bike again that's for sure. I'll be getting a Kenevo next at this rate just so I can deal with a human in a shop with what my friends describe as the best bike service they've had (Berkshire by the way). Anything sub £100 I've just fixed myself to save the hassle.

To be fair though I think I use it like Gary. 15+ft gaps aren't uncommon and I do ride it like a DH bike.

I assumed that all Shimano service centres will service/support any warranty issues. On my second direct to consumer bike and I’ve not looked back.

Plenty of people who have brought from a LBS with endless issues and getting frustrated. YT were a little annoying to deal with but no big problems, Commencal seem to be on another level ?

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
I assumed that all Shimano service centres will service/support any warranty issues. On my second direct to consumer bike and I’ve not looked back.

Plenty of people who have brought from a LBS with endless issues and getting frustrated. YT were a little annoying to deal with but no big problems, Commencal seem to be on another level ?

The few I've tried so far do everything except a motor. Got a few more to try tomorrow.

I was lucky with my Capra it never broke, thank god.

I know some LBS can be frustrating too, but the specialized shops seem to be getting glowing reviews everywhere.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
The few I've tried so far do everything except a motor. Got a few more to try tomorrow.

I was lucky with my Capra it never broke, thank god.

I know some LBS can be frustrating too, but the specialized shops seem to be getting glowing reviews everywhere.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on.

I’m just not a big fan of the Specialized brand to be honest. Much prefer giving my dosh to the European manufacturers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Your LBS can warranty the motor direct with Madison, as long as they have an account with them, and you have a copy of the original proof or purchase.

Some LBS may be reluctant to do this as you didn't buy th e bike form them, and you will probably have to pay for the labor of removing the motor

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Your LBS can warranty the motor direct with Madison, as long as they have an account with them, and you have a copy of the original proof or purchase.

Some LBS may be reluctant to do this as you didn't buy th e bike form them, and you will probably have to pay for the labor of removing the motor

That's what happened to me. LBS did the warranty for me as bought it from a store 150ks away. They charged me $50 for the labour. Couldn't complain would have used more fuel driving back to place of purchase

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Good to know. I'd be happy with that over sending the bike back in what can only be described as a box made from paper. Cheers.
CRC still haven't got back to me 2 weeks after I sent in Warranty form - I can't get hold of them by phone, only live chat, where they keep saying they are backlogged and very busy, very sorry about delay and will deal with it shortly - hence why I contacted Madison

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'll double check the exact distance later but the bike was new in Feb and has probably only covered 500Km.

Don't really need the exact distance. just looking for a ball park figure. I've never got 500 off road miles out of any (yet)
current E8000 is on 1200miles but most were road and it has slight axle play but no creaking (yet. It will come)
as well as riding it like a DH bike do you jump/whip a lot?
My theory is the bearings just aren't up to the constant side loads a strong playful rider like me puts though cranks.
I get through HTII cup bearings on non-Ebikes fairly quickly too. (quicker than lots of less sideways/airborne friends)

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Don't really need the exact distance. just looking for a ball park figure. I've never got 500 off road miles out of any (yet)
current E8000 is on 1200miles but most were road and it has slight axle play but no creaking (yet. It will come)
as well as riding it like a DH bike do you jump/whip a lot?
My theory is the bearings just aren't up to the constant side loads a strong playful rider like me puts though cranks.
I get through HTII cup bearings on non-Ebikes fairly quickly too. (quicker than lots of less sideways/airborne friends)

You could be on point with that theory. I jump lots, hitting big drops, jumps every ride. Doing a lot of large gaps at the moment too (Working up to a 40ft gap I want to hit). I whip it a little but nothing huge, this is about as far as I whip (If you can call it a whip :ROFLMAO::oops:)

y4m1cZvz2GBG1Sn41q1lMgSK_4I6Gpseben6MKSWu6tgTkTbY8pohHqv5UovkJM8RFSUbQ_iAZXITo2zqnwJmTeTlH_ghkCqpwLMAGZdZj55lKpXbvgVvzcq3onSXrRI3zom39FAqDvsX3oKTJKKa4A84TU_RGMJgEAcsr9t6vyGVhjPQhAXHcVd0W-sdiQIOdS276xAe_g1q7KmN7z-LTfKg

I do eat BB on my swoop but it costs peanuts to fix and about 10 minutes work, i just rotate a pair and swap bearings so it never bothered me.

I might have to have some sympathy on the Vitus if they wear that quick.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's a 170mm travel gravity orientated mountain bike. it's meant for riding hard. We shouldn't have to show them any sympathy.
Shimano should have used a far more durable main bearing design in their motor. Or at least made the bearings user/shop replaceable. As it is. open the motor and your warranty is void but no Shimano service centre has tools or training to replace them either.
(FWIW I'd happily relpace them myself... but not at the expense of my warranty)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think any of the motors are built to take serious long term abuse - I would be interested to know how Sam pilgrim gets on with the Yamaha on his Haibike, as he is a mechanical anarchist - its interesting that he choses that model out of the Haibike line up too.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
My Commencal is almost 2 months old and has been subject to 800km of bike parks, local jumps, trails etc. I’m not particularly smooth, so far so good ?

To be honest, I was expecting the E8000 to stay good over a few years of abuse...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles