Please list your best upgrades

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Tyres, the Specialized crap that came with the bike has been resigned to the parts bin in favour of Wild Enduros and Assegai/DHR2 (not at the same time).

I actually downgraded the cassette from 1180 to 1150 and chain from KMC E11EPT to X1 (Wiggle had a deal where a X1 chain was a tenner). No difference at all in performance and potentially stronger.

Switched the seat but mainly due to middle aged syndrome rather than upgrade/downgrade. Same with grips. Specialized -> Ergon.

Maybe this could be considered an upgrade - switched the fork air shaft from 150mm to 160mm.

SRAM Code R 200/200 brakes to Magura MT5 220/200. Big upgrade for when on long descents.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
DMR Vaults, Maxxis shorty, WTB Koda saddle, Revgrips and tomorrow I’m upgrading my front forks to the 2021 air spring and shortly after that the 2.1 charger damper

digger

Feb 4, 2019
Wales
I have changed nearly everything on my sl including but not limited to:
Diety Carbon Bars
Diety 35 stem
Mullet
Silt carbon rims
Fox 36 factory
Fox dpx2 factory
One up 180mm dropper
Vorsprung secus
Cascade link
Deity saddle
Hope E4 brakes
Burgtec Penthouse 5 pedals
Etc...

Biggest noticeable difference apart from the suspension would be the Hope brakes especially in the Alps, but the Secus and Cascade link have added about 15 to 20% to my overall speed.

One of the most surprising upgrade benefits was how much more nimble the bike became when the seat could be slammed. I hadn't expected such a dramatic change in bike handling from a long travel dropper!

?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Ohlins RXF 36 MK 2 fork on my Levo SL. The Stock Fox 34 Rhythm is only put on by the factory as place holder for the front wheel.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Depending where and what type of riding you do, for around Squamish, Cushcore inserts are also on the top of my list.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
IMG_20210807_123703.jpg
IMG_20210424_133658.jpg

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Copy pasted from another thread i made:

This is on my Focus Thron

I replaced the saddle because the stock one is so firm it violated me :oops:, I went for the Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime and i cant sing enough praises for it. I replaced the handlebar grips with Ergon GA-3. Swapped out the handlebar for PNW range KW with a bit more backsweep. Swapped out the dropper lever for PNW Loam Lever (feels amazing). Pedals i went for RaceFace Chester composite pedals. I purchased an AVS-Racing motor bash guard which looks really nice, and is much lighter then i thought it would be. Swapped out the super long 170mm cranks for 155mm Hope e-bike cranks (bit expensive, they are optimized for reducing peddle strikes and have much less overhang past the pedal compared to the stock FSA ones). The bash guard + the short cranks make for much more confident ride through techy uphill stuff. The short cranks also make the ride feel more comfortable for me, i really like how it changes the feel of the bike. I switched the kiox mount for a KTM Kiox mount to get it off the stem and out of the way so its a bit more protected. I put a Proguard Bolt-on front mudguard on the Fox fork to stop sand flying up into my face, it also protects the stanchions from getting dirt on them. And the last thing i swapped out was the stem cap, i installed the Oneup EDC Lite stem tool, which lets you store a little multitool right in the stem for easy access.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles