Please help me with One up Flat creacking left pedal

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Hi !
I put on my ebike one pair of One up composit flat pedals one year ago. When the pedals was purchased i take one service kit.
After almost one year when i pedal up to 30km/h speed i heard a creak on the left side of the bike. I made with them almost 10000km, most of then touring and rarely offroad. Before them i have Crankbrothers stamp composite but i hate them because i buy them like red colour and in reality thet red was pink ! So I uninstal the oneup pedals , i take off the parts from the inside and the new service kit was instaled by me. I use green grease from Zefal and i saw that the bearing was very small and maded from two metal strips, one small inside of a big one. Was weird for me because it looks like a primitive little bearing. And the axles was from the factory soaked in a lot of grease like it was in a tube from grease. The service kit was proper instaled after the cleaning of the inside of the pedals, i grease all the new service kit components and for 2 months the creak disappear. Meantime my bike was in a bike shop for the anual maintanace, after that i made almost 100km, no creaks, no weird sound...all was good. But yesterday i heard a creak in the left pedal again when i ride with speed.
What the hell is the problem with One up composit flat pedals ? What is your advice ? To uninstal the pedals again , disansembling in parts, cleaning and put grease again ??? Because the service kit who was instaled is new !
I have another solution to buy a Burgtec Flat Mk4 composit flat pedals but i don't want to spent another money on pedals again.
Please share with me your experiences and give me some advices.
Thanks in advance for your help !

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I had the alloy versions, I had a creek. Replaced the big bearing and replaced all the grease. Great pedals, but a little under engineered

Reactions: Flo

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
just buy some new pedals! I have used DMR pedals for years and never needed to service them. One of the problems with some composite pedals is that the outer axle seal or plug is often just composite as well. I would also avoid the style of pedal that only has a 3/4 length axle across the pedal platform which I reckon does not distribute the forces on the axle well enough..especially on a "softer" composite construction pedal.
If you want to stick to composite, take a look at the DMR V11.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
+1 for DMR from me.

I have had two pairs of DMR Vaults, from when I first had two bikes. I bought the first pair in 2010 and the second pair a year later. Since Jan 2019, I've only had one bike, so one set is sat in reserve. From memory, I have only replaced the bearings on this pair of pedals four times. Whether it is 4:0, 3:1 or 2:2 I have no idea because I bought identical pedals, black body with blue pins. They both look equally worn, so I'm guessing 2:2. :)

They have never creaked or groaned, or indeed ever made any noise except clicking when the main thrust bearing had worn away sufficiently.

Reactions: Flo

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Thank everybody for your replies and your sugestions. For the moment i change the one up left pedal with my old crankbrothers stamp 1 who has one issue : the seller sells them like red colour and they are pink ! :))))
When the rain will stops i will take a ride. I hope that creaking is from one up pedal and not a new obscure problem.
And my new pedals will be DM V11 for sure because they are in the same price range like the Burgtec ones. And i hope red will be red, not pink or orange or, worse : magenta !:))))

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
What about HT PA03A ? I found them at just 30 euros. They seams also very good from reviews...
Today i try to ride with a crankbrothers stamp 1 old left pedal instead of oneup and same creacking...maybe a ceankbrothers made this sound because is old or can be another issue ? But the sound came from my motor botom bracket, just when i push hard on the pedal at high speeds. What do you think ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles