Phone and car keys

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Where do you store your phone and car keys when riding the more challenging trails when parting company with the bike is more likely? I don't like to carry a back pack unless I have to, on a long ride for example, so that's not an option.

Al

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I never take my keys when riding. I put my keys inside my truck's bumper. Never had a problem and unliess you know where to look, you'd never find them. My phone (when I take it) is in my fanny pack (Fox makes a great one). Otherwise it stays in my truck locked. I am a minimalist rider. I take nothing with me 90% of the time as I'm only a few miles away from the parking area on any of the trails I ride. I have never lost my keys or phone on the trail when their not with me.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I never take my keys when riding. I put my keys inside my truck's bumper. Never had a problem and unliess you know where to look, you'd never find them. My phone (when I take it) is in my fanny pack (Fox makes a great one). Otherwise it stays in my truck locked. I am a minimalist rider. I take nothing with me 90% of the time as I'm only a few miles away from the parking area on any of the trails I ride. I have never lost my keys or phone on the trail when their not with me.
I'm thinking of doing the same unless a better idea comes along. I don't get a signal where I ride in any case so taking the phone is a bit of a waste of time and space.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The most important thing for me to take on a ride is a First Aid kit…and I’ve needed to use it on myself and others.

I don’t need car keys and I no longer carry the battery key (Trek Rail). My daily ride determines what type of pack I’m going to need.
A small hip pack will carry my First Aid kit, iPhone, glasses, air pump/tools (OneUp) and an energy bar. If I had car keys, I could probably get those in there too.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I just put my key in my pocket?

Just take your car key off a bunch and it's fine, you can get a protective pouch for it.

My car is keyless entry so if I left it around the car someone could just open the door and drive off.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Key in pocket as above and phone in the back deep pocket (Endura Humvee's) only lost one phone, and its not really lost as i know where it is on the Ard Rock Woods, deep in the pow at the bottom of stage 1 hecklers woods.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Key in pocket as above and phone in the back deep pocket (Endura Humvee's) only lost one phone, and its not really lost as i know where it is on the Ard Rock Woods, deep in the pow at the bottom of stage 1 hecklers woods.

That’s not too far from me, I’ll have a look for it next time we’re out that way 😆

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My shorts all have zip up pockets, so I always have my car key in one and my phone in the other. I generally listen to music (low volume / AirPods in transparency mode) when i'm riding, so I need my phone to play it. The new iPhone doesn't need a phone signal to do an emergency call - it does SOS from Satellites... so better safe than sorry.

I never used to carry a pack, but now I have a little Osprey one with some tools and the ability to take a hydration sleeve if I'm away with a range extender in the water bottle slot. I also take a couple of snacks with me if I'm off for a long trek.

I forgot my pack the other day, and ended up with a broken chain 9 miles from home! After sidestep scooting a couple of miles, I called for backup and got collected. If I'd had my pack with me, I could have fixed it in 5 mins and been back on the road.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Same as above, Endura Humvee shorts have deep zip pockets. Phone in one, keys in other.

Smashed my phone once when crashing (and it was in an indestructible Mous case) but also smashed my ribs and wrist bones so the phone was the least of my concerns!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've just found a small (8" x 4" x 2") Patagonia waist bag amongst my climbing gear. I'll try that. I'm sure it will be better for protecting both me and the phone than being in trouser pockets.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
With keyless entry, is it not a bit dodgy leaving your keys hidden around the car?
If someone brushed past my door handle when the key was in the bumper for example, the door would unlock!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I use a hip pack water bladder pack vs. a backpack. Sits nice, carries 3L of water, a snack, keys, phone, and a tool or 2. Made by a company called Henty.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Phone in pocket. Keys in a lock box on the car. My car has keyless entry but they doesnt work when the key is in the lock box.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
EVERY time I put my phone in a pocket (shorts, jacket etc) it gets a cracked screen or worse. So, it stays in my back pack. Yes, inconvenient for pics I know. But at least I still have a phone for pics. My wallet stays in the car, with a tenner in my back pack. The car keys are in my back pack. I never travel on my bike without my backpack, so all is well.

If I absolutely had to do without my backpack, I would use a fanny pack - but it would carry as much as I could cram into it on top of phone and keys.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
My phone is the key to my car, I put it in the fanny pack. Sorted.
The best thing is that when I get back to car I can simply pop the boot without needing to faff around digging keys out of pockets or back packs. 👌

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
I also carry the phone and keys in my pocket. I don't realize it while biking but I'm pretty sure it's a bad spot to carry those things in case of a crash...

KODAKHODAK

May 22, 2023
Australia
Been running the EVOC Stage 61 for the last 4 years, Keep mainly the water bladder topped up with fluids, phone, keys, ID, Multi-Tool, Hand Pump and the odd nibble.
IMG_7555.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Phone in left pocket, keys in right pocket. If I'm not doing laps I usually wear a fanny pack with tools and a water bottle if I'm using the RE.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The first step is admitting you have a problem …
IMG_6348.jpeg
I guess it depends on what I’m gonna do. I don’t carry car keys, but I could. Most of these packs have a small clip inside where keys could be clipped and fairly secure. I usually place my prescription glasses and iPhone in the same compartment. ( One pac was destroyed …thanks Bear 🐻).

First aid kit, iPhone an a OneUp pump and tools go with me all the time. Use to carry the battery key but I’ve never needed to use it so they sit in the tool drawer.

I try to keep my iPhone 12 close by for those epic pictures of trees and dirt but I’ll never be able to complete with @The Hodge or @etoni . I hope to get the iPhone 14 soon because the pixel rate is better on the camera and it has satellite tracking (I think). The iPhone 14 is only $1600.00 CDN (wtf), so that’s gonna wait a while.

Besides backpacks I have a few different helmets also.
IMG_6349.jpeg
In the picture is a key that I never carry. 😳. But I could throw it at an attacking squirrel 🐿️ if I needed to.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The first step is admitting you have a problem …
View attachment 115812
I guess it depends on what I’m gonna do. I don’t carry car keys, but I could. Most of these packs have a small clip inside where keys could be clipped and fairly secure. I usually place my prescription glasses and iPhone in the same compartment. ( One pac was destroyed …thanks Bear 🐻).

First aid kit, iPhone an a OneUp pump and tools go with me all the time. Use to carry the battery key but I’ve never needed to use it so they sit in the tool drawer.

I try to keep my iPhone 12 close by for those epic pictures of trees and dirt but I’ll never be able to complete with @The Hodge or @etoni . I hope to get the iPhone 14 soon because the pixel rate is better on the camera and it has satellite tracking (I think). The iPhone 14 is only $1600.00 CDN (wtf), so that’s gonna wait a while.

Besides backpacks I have a few different helmets also.
View attachment 115813
In the picture is a key that I never carry. 😳. But I could throw it at an attacking squirrel 🐿️ if I needed to.
I've been in shops with less stock on their walls than you have 😁

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Where do you store your phone and car keys when riding the more challenging trails when parting company with the bike is more likely? I don't like to carry a back pack unless I have to, on a long ride for example, so that's not an option.

Al
Camelback Rogue, half a liter of water on short rides.
If you totally refuse a pack, try a waterbottle caddy and STRAP IT ON.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
not so sketchy here, mostly trails so tbh my iphone is on a quadlock on my bars along with a safety tether. My keys are in my backpack, a USWE.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

Al
Evoc Pro 3L Hip-Pack, used it for 4 years, if you don't wish to use the included bladder then there are bottle holders to the left and right of the pack, super comfortable, integrated tool roll, it's a go-to if like me you don't like a back pack.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles