Phone and car keys

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I've been in shops with less stock on their walls than you have 😁
Thanks …I think?😉 This does expose my lack of cleanliness though. But if she insists that I go to the “quiet room “ occasionally I’ll try to make the best of my time spent there. 😄

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
not so sketchy here, mostly trails so tbh my iphone is on a quadlock on my bars along with a safety tether. My keys are in my backpack, a USWE.
I have a Bontrager bum pack. Trouble is it sometimes catches on the seat after standing/lowering and raising the dropper.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Always have back pack usually need the rain cover on as well. I'm very good at leaving the compartments unzipped though so will lose keys eventually. Anyway you can open one of my vehicles with a 5 p due to the broken key stuck in it. Carry spare key in there sometimes.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
With keyless entry, is it not a bit dodgy leaving your keys hidden around the car?
If someone brushed past my door handle when the key was in the bumper for example, the door would unlock!
Most vehicles won't open unless the keyfob in in your hand or on you. Go try it and report back.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Most vehicles won't open unless the keyfob in in your hand or on you. Go try it and report back.
Mine unlocks when I hose my door handles when washing the car - even if the keys are sitting on the garage floor 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
When I bought my Ebike I flew down to London and hired a car to take bike home. Stopped at Perth for night and had keyless type rental which I knew nothing about. Eventually after 20 attempts to lock car i walked across the road about 20 mtrs and left keys on pavement walking back to car and checking car was locked . Enough said.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The first step is admitting you have a problem …
View attachment 115812
I guess it depends on what I’m gonna do. I don’t carry car keys, but I could. Most of these packs have a small clip inside where keys could be clipped and fairly secure. I usually place my prescription glasses and iPhone in the same compartment. ( One pac was destroyed …thanks Bear 🐻).

First aid kit, iPhone an a OneUp pump and tools go with me all the time. Use to carry the battery key but I’ve never needed to use it so they sit in the tool drawer.

I try to keep my iPhone 12 close by for those epic pictures of trees and dirt but I’ll never be able to complete with @The Hodge or @etoni . I hope to get the iPhone 14 soon because the pixel rate is better on the camera and it has satellite tracking (I think). The iPhone 14 is only $1600.00 CDN (wtf), so that’s gonna wait a while.

Besides backpacks I have a few different helmets also.
View attachment 115813
In the picture is a key that I never carry. 😳. But I could throw it at an attacking squirrel 🐿️ if I needed to.
Do you live in a bike shop?

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
If you don't want to carry a bulky key then get a blade cut and lock the full key in the car. Usually means the alarm is not set so don't leave anything in the car on view.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Do you live in a bike shop?
Only when she forgets to give me my allowance 😛.

But I remember the first time I was given a fob for a car. “Wtf is this?”

IMG_6350.jpeg

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
My phone IS my car key, whenever my phone is within 5 feet of the car it will be unlocked, it locks as soon as I walk away. The phone goes in my fanny pack.
So when you fall off and break your iPhone that's in your bum bag, I'm English, how do you open your car?

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
So when you fall off and break your iPhone that's in your bum bag, I'm English, how do you open your car?
I've been using cell phones for three decades and I've never had one fail besides a cracked screen that left the phone fully functional. Regardless, there is a first time for everything, and my car came with plastic key cards that require no batteries, are thinner than a credit card, survive trips through the washer and dryer, and can unlock my car with a swipe. I always carry at least one of these but never need to use them. You can store one between the back of your phone case and phone and swipe it without removing it. I have one in my wallet too, so, if I have my wallet with me, that unlocks my car just by swiping my wallet. Even if none of those methods worked for whatever reason, I could call my wife and have her unlock the car remotely and activate it for driving, using her phone. If I couldn't get ahold of her, I could call Tesla Roadside Assistance and, after providing my credentials, have them unlock my car remotely.

So, no, I'm not really concerned about getting locked out of my own car like I was when I needed physical keys or a fob with a battery in it. I've been doing it this way for over five years without issue, and it's far superior to be able to just walk up to your car and get in, and exit the car and not worry about whether I locked it. It's more secure too.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I love the idea of going light but have realized having a small hip pack doesn't bother me. But I've been running a small USWE pack for the last two months and loving it.

This season I started running my phone in a front pocket again. I started to this winter with fat biking to keep it warm and got used to it. I get important work text from time to time so it is also more handy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I love the idea of going light but have realized having a small hip pack doesn't bother me. But I've been running a small USWE pack for the last two months and loving it.

This season I started running my phone in a front pocket again. I started to this winter with fat biking to keep it warm and got used to it. I get important work text from time to time so it is also more handy.
Bumbags were the fashion when I started mountain biking but were too small for a hill trip. I'm just so used to rucksack now plus I'm not doing anything so technical that they affect my riding .

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Rode with my phone in my pocket just once, thought "just a quick spin, it'll be fone as long as I dont fall on it. Needless to say fell on it and broke it very comprehensively (bent severely) within the first half a mile.
So now I use Evoc Bum-bag/fanny-pack.
Can get phone, car-key (keyless entry and start and definitely works without being in the hand), mini pump, snack, small coat, tools etc and a folding saw in there if necessary, never caught it on anything and feels so much better to ride in than a full rucksack.
In the winter I sometimes leave the pack and put my phone in a coat chest pocket which seems pretty safe, but I imagine putting it in a rear pocket of a jersey would work too as long as you knew it wouldn't fall out.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Rode with my phone in my pocket just once, thought "just a quick spin, it'll be fone as long as I dont fall on it. Needless to say fell on it and broke it very comprehensively (bent severely) within the first half a mile.
So now I use Evoc Bum-bag/fanny-pack.
Can get phone, car-key (keyless entry and start and definitely works without being in the hand), mini pump, snack, small coat, tools etc and a folding saw in there if necessary, never caught it on anything and feels so much better to ride in than a full rucksack.
In the winter I sometimes leave the pack and put my phone in a coat chest pocket which seems pretty safe, but I imagine putting it in a rear pocket of a jersey would work too as long as you knew it wouldn't fall out.
I put my phone in a shirt pocket and never never fasten button . Then when I bend down to cup water in my hands for a drink or wash my face plop in to the burn it goes. Three times so far in past year . Not so bad with car keys but remember i left them for 5 hours in a laybye on A9 back in the day when you had to unlock the boot with a key it was still in boot lock when I got back. Favourite of mine now is leaving stuff on the top of car and forgetting its there . Someone usually notices as I'm pulling away 🤪.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I put my phone in a shirt pocket and never never fasten button . Then when I bend down to cup water in my hands for a drink or wash my face plop in to the burn it goes. Three times so far in past year . Not so bad with car keys but remember i left them for 5 hours in a laybye on A9 back in the day when you had to unlock the boot with a key it was still in boot lock when I got back. Favourite of mine now is leaving stuff on the top of car and forgetting its there . Someone usually notices as I'm pulling away 🤪.
Yes, chest pocket needs to fasten. I lost my phone hopping over one of those motorbike traps and didn't notice but luckily my Garmin beeped at me to say it had lost connection to the phone so I could go straight back and find it (in the dark and rain obviously).

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've been in shops with less stock on their walls than you have 😁
That's my experience of living in the UK..
Bugger all apart from a muc off stand, a few park tools, and the most basic bike accessories usually surrounded by a wall of inner tubes.
I don't even bother checking LBS for anything I need anymore, always over priced and not my size anyway even if they have stock of clothing

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Bum bag, phone in the most protected section, and keys in a side pocket on a clip made for the job.
I also carry some tools etc in there too. I could never get on with a rucksack on a motorbike so there's no chance on a mtb.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I really detest having a pack on my back during mountain bike rides. Very hot here and it makes riding mountain bikes much less fun for me. Therefore I have become a minimalist but it's uncanny how often I have had to help others who are missing the one tool they need in their huge packs. I have fallen quite a bit since I ride very tight, technical terrain and have never ever broken anything in my left front pocket so that's where the phone goes. Back pocket would be a disaster area for me. Minimalist truck key goes in right front pocket never smacked that either. Ultra light weight Topeak Micro rocket carbon fiber pump goes in front thigh zip pocket. My buddies laugh at me for not carrying a full-size pump but mine will pump a tire up completely in only a minute later than theirs and that doesn't bother me. As far as repair tools, just bought the new Coworking5/Essential8 mini tools and they cover everything as well as fit easily in right front pocket of my specialized trail shorts. One large water bottle for fluids is all I ever need even on for five hour rides. People drink too much. They forget you can hydrate after the ride. 27.5/29 tube rolled up and strapped to the frame. Not sure what else I would need. Never been stranded.

I use a USWE Protector backpack, great bit of kit, has the shoulder and waist straps connecting in one clasp (like a parachute), really light and doesnt bounce around so forget its there. I have an embarrassing knack of coming off on ascents and going over backwards at slow speeds due to getting stuck on tight switchbacks or hitting a tree with the edge of the handlebar so the backpack does act a protector in these instances.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles