• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Pedals spinning freely clockwise

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
Hello. I have an ORBEA WILD FS M20 electric bike. It is equipped with a BOSCH Performance Line CX BDU450CX electric motor. Currently, I have an issue where, approximately every 5 to 10 times during an hour-long ride, the pedals start spinning freely clockwise (without rotating the front chainring) after coasting. I checked and confirmed that this occurs even without using the electric assist (likely a mechanical issue with the motor). Could you please advise me on what I can do to solve this problem? Thank you.

Solution
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a professional who would take up the job, so I had to do it myself. You were absolutely right. In picture 1, there are signs of moisture and dirt on the printed circuit board near the 12V connector. There's a lot of dirt around the bearing in picture 2. And, as you pointed out, there was a stuck ratchet in the subsequent pictures. After cleaning off the dirt and rust, I plan to lubricate everything. Could you please advise on measures that can be taken to prevent such consequences in the future? Perhaps you know where I can purchase a system with the ratchet for the future? Thanks again!
This will have badly worn the plastic bushes in the freewheel sleeve, so will create a lot of play on the...

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sprag clutch bearing in the motor possibly.

I thought I had this but it turned out to be the chainring spider teeth rounding/cracking where it attaches to the crank spindle.

IMG_20230327_134935.jpg

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
Sprag clutch bearing in the motor possibly.

I thought I had this but it turned out to be the chainring spider teeth rounding/cracking where it attaches to the crank spindle.

I only have a guess that the problem is inside the motor. The chainring attachment looks solid. What was puzzling is that it only started to manifest after coasting, when I began to pedal again. It was possible to fix it by turning the pedals forward and backward several times.
The initial problems arose when attempting to remove the crankset to replace the chainring. The crankset couldn't be removed (due to the lack of suitable tools). Temporarily, there was no free play in the pedals' backward rotation (the crankset and chainring were turning together), but over time, everything returned to normal.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The initial problems arose when attempting to remove the crankset to replace the chainring. The crankset couldn't be removed (due to the lack of suitable tools). Temporarily, there was no free play in the pedals' backward rotation (the crankset and chainring were turning together), but over time, everything returned to normal.

This is very different than your initial post. The first post implied that there might be some mysterious problem with the motor. Now the story has changed and you're saying that you worked on it in some way, but failed. Things were not right, then then things were right, and now things aren't right again. There are too many variables and unknowns to diagnose the problem from a brief and incomplete description. You're going to have to take the bike to a shop and have them work on it.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I only have a guess that the problem is inside the motor. The chainring attachment looks solid. What was puzzling is that it only started to manifest after coasting, when I began to pedal again. It was possible to fix it by turning the pedals forward and backward several times.
Turn your pedals backwards without the chain moving and you should hear the freewheel ratchet clicking quite loud and crisp. If you can't hear anything, or it sounds soft and muffled, your freewheel sleeve is starting to seize to the rust build-up on your crankshaft. This tends to rust or gum-up the freewheel ratchet so as you coast it gets pushed apart, losing drive. However in most cases, for a while at least, it will return and allow pedal assist again. Eventually it will fail if this is the case.
As Yorkshire89 stated. The other thing that could do this is the sprag bearing. However, in a Gen 4 the sprag bearing will generally work or fail totally.

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
This is very different than your initial post. The first post implied that there might be some mysterious problem with the motor. Now the story has changed and you're saying that you worked on it in some way, but failed. Things were not right, then then things were right, and now things aren't right again. There are too many variables and unknowns to diagnose the problem from a brief and incomplete description. You're going to have to take the bike to a shop and have them work on it.
I agree, it was a mistake to add additional information that might lead astray. The issue remains the same: when rotating the cranks clockwise, they spin without engaging the main gear (it feels like the ratchet in the motor is not meshing). However, if I manually hold the main gear and rotate counterclockwise, I can hear the motor spinning. Unfortunately, there are no suitable bike repair shops in my city, or even in my country. The nearest service center is in another country. That's why I'm trying to understand the cause and attempt to solve it on my own.

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
Turn your pedals backwards without the chain moving and you should hear the freewheel ratchet clicking quite loud and crisp. If you can't hear anything, or it sounds soft and muffled, your freewheel sleeve is starting to seize to the rust build-up on your crankshaft. This tends to rust or gum-up the freewheel ratchet so as you coast it gets pushed apart, losing drive. However in most cases, for a while at least, it will return and allow pedal assist again. Eventually it will fail if this is the case.
As Yorkshire89 stated. The other thing that could do this is the sprag bearing. However, in a Gen 4 the sprag bearing will generally work or fail totally.
I tried to pedal counterclockwise, and I didn't hear the clear sound of the ratchet working; instead, I heard more of a noise coming from the bearings' operation, occasionally resembling a muffled attempt to engage. Based on your words, the issue seems to be related to the freewheel mechanism. Does this mean I need to remove the motor and disassemble it? It's a bit scary, of course...

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I tried to pedal counterclockwise, and I didn't hear the clear sound of the ratchet working; instead, I heard more of a noise coming from the bearings' operation, occasionally resembling a muffled attempt to engage. Based on your words, the issue seems to be related to the freewheel mechanism. Does this mean I need to remove the motor and disassemble it? It's a bit scary, of course...
Yes, your motor will need to come apart, but I think you're going to find a bit of a mess in there! The only thing is that I am a big fan of people doing their own repairs, but the Bosch Gen 4 is not a motor you really want to be "having a go at" It is easy to break and difficult to repair.
Below are the parts I think that are causing your problem.

IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6304.JPG

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
Yes, your motor will need to come apart, but I think you're going to find a bit of a mess in there! The only thing is that I am a big fan of people doing their own repairs, but the Bosch Gen 4 is not a motor you really want to be "having a go at" It is easy to break and difficult to repair.
I used to watch videos on the YouTube channel "The Yorkshire Bike Mechanic" about dismantling the Bosch Gen 4. I decided that if I come to the conclusion that the problem is indeed in the motor and it requires disassembly, I won't attempt to do it myself. Thanks to your photos, it will be easier to explain the possible issue to the bike mechanic and convince them to work on the electric motor since it's a mechanical problem. Thank you so much for your help, and I'll update you once the issue is resolved.

jenia_sid

Jul 17, 2023
Belarus
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a professional who would take up the job, so I had to do it myself. You were absolutely right. In picture 1, there are signs of moisture and dirt on the printed circuit board near the 12V connector. There's a lot of dirt around the bearing in picture 2. And, as you pointed out, there was a stuck ratchet in the subsequent pictures. After cleaning off the dirt and rust, I plan to lubricate everything. Could you please advise on measures that can be taken to prevent such consequences in the future? Perhaps you know where I can purchase a system with the ratchet for the future? Thanks again!
IMG_20230720_173313.jpg
IMG_20230720_173438.jpg
IMG_20230720_173040.jpg
IMG_20230720_180056.jpg
IMG_20230721_110733.jpg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
This will have badly worn the plastic bushes in the freewheel sleeve, so will create a lot of play on the chainring once it's all back together. This play will allow more water to get in between the crankshaft and freewheel sleeve. There is currently nothing you can do to stop this, or the water getting past the bearing shields, other than removing and re-greasing from time to time.
Good luck with your re-assembly.

Solution

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A Bosch Gen4 motor rebuild is probably/definitely above my pay-grade. The Yorkshire mechanic makes it look easy, but with lots of caveats.

I have a spare Bosch gen4 sitting in my garage with broken bracket bolts in the casing. I’m still reluctant to replace the drive side casing and damaged brackets. This repair doesn’t seem “too difficult” but I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts on hand.

If I take it apart any further I would likely need additional parts, tools and skills.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
A Bosch Gen4 motor rebuild is probably/definitely above my pay-grade. The Yorkshire mechanic makes it look easy, but with lots of caveats.

I have a spare Bosch gen4 sitting in my garage with broken bracket bolts in the casing. I’m still reluctant to replace the drive side casing and damaged brackets. This repair doesn’t seem “too difficult” but I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts on hand.

If I take it apart any further I would likely need additional parts, tools and skills.
Be very careful! Leave the non-drive side crankshaft circlip in place, and only remove the larger of the two circlips on the drive side. Then you can safely remove the motor cover without moving the freewheel sleeve and breaking the plastic torque sensor. 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles