• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Parts to convert DT 240 EXP rear to “Hybrid” (steel)?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Ordered my first full powered ebike frameset and would like to convert my standard DT 240 EXP rear hub internals to steel to match their DT 240 Hybrid hub.

Bit confused on which parts I’ll need other than the freehub body. I gather “Star Ratchet” and “Ratchet EXP” are slightly different but not exactly sure how so still foggy on what all is needed to fully convert internals to Hybrid / steel.

Any direction greatly appreciated 🙏

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
DT Swiss do supply a hybrid EXP ratchet system 240 hub specifically for EMTBs. I would think the steel freehub is a straight swop. Not sure if the hybrid ratchet is steel and 24t like it is on the star ratchet hybrid system though. You may be best sending an enquiry to DT Swiss via ther website.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
DT Swiss do supply a hybrid EXP ratchet system 240 hub specifically for EMTBs. I would think the steel freehub is a straight swop. Not sure if the hybrid ratchet is steel and 24t like it is on the star ratchet hybrid system though. You may be best sending an enquiry to DT Swiss via ther website.
Thanks for the help. Chatted with the kind folks over at WheelBuilder.com and it looks like the 240 EXP internals are not compatible with the steel Hybrid internals. The Hybrid has their older style engagement system while the EXP has their new system.

Ordered a 350 Hybrid hub to swap with the 240 EXP. The 240 Hybrids seem to exist only on DT Swiss’s website, unfortunately - no retailers seem to carry them. Also was only able to find 350 Hybrids with the older Shimano 11sp drivers so had to order a separate XD driver.

Ebikes may be driving MTB tech but they are clearly not driving aftermarket DIYer sales yet!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the 350 hybrid hub together with Hybrid 1700 wheels on both of my bikes. Yes it is the original ratchet system which is bombproof ( whilst the EXP version suffered some problems at least early on..maybe fixed now?). Everything is uprated...hub shell, bearings, ratchet system ( 24 t steel), steel freehub. The hub/freehub assembly is very well sealed and very easy to service, not that is needs anything more than a wipe over and application of a small amount of DT Special Grease (the red one). I see no benefit in EXP apart from 1 less moving part and possibly a minor bit of weight saving so probably more applicable to road bikes. I was surprised to see a mtb version of EXP on the DT Swiss website...not surprised nobody appears to stock it.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I use the 350 hybrid hub together with Hybrid 1700 wheels on both of my bikes. Yes it is the original ratchet system which is bombproof ( whilst the EXP version suffered some problems at least early on..maybe fixed now?). Everything is uprated...hub shell, bearings, ratchet system ( 24 t steel), steel freehub. The hub/freehub assembly is very well sealed and very easy to service, not that is needs anything more than a wipe over and application of a small amount of DT Special Grease (the red one). I see no benefit in EXP apart from 1 less moving part and possibly a minor bit of weight saving so probably more applicable to road bikes. I was surprised to see a mtb version of EXP on the DT Swiss website...not surprised nobody appears to stock it.
I’ve got the EXP hub currently on the acoustic and experienced the “freewheel both ways” failure. I’m a big human so the steel Hybrid with tried and true older mechanism is my jam either way.

I’ve also got an i9 hydra on another bike that has the steel “forever axle” from Pinner Machine Works in Whistler. After breaking 4 standard hydra axles on another bike I decided to try one again but with the steel axle this time - seems bomb proof so far. I wonder if that might be a good re ipe for e-bikes?

sstenzz

Aug 15, 2019
Sweden
Yeah the 350 hybrid hub is super solid.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles