Owchh that hurt

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Had a big off in the Dyfi forest yesterday , got a log jump all wrong on the Trance E2 29 er , not enough speed to carry me over , back wheel clipped some loose logs and I think flipped me off into some rocks and logs , I think , then the bike landed on me, Knocked me out and did not have my full face on but trail lid , 5 inch cut to to the left side of my ugly mug and a face that looked like i was on the set of the walking dead

So off to A/E in Aberystwyth , as because I was concussed had to have an MRI, had a full check over by a consultant and student doctors who took great delight in prodding me, Very thorough , even stuck a finger up my arse and said clench , I did and the consultant said you have good clamping force :) and you will be relieved no blood :)

4 hours later , 3 MRI scan in total , all clear given ,but with cuts to my arms , and 10 plus stitches in my cheek , bruised LH ribs, black eye and now a very stiff neck , on co-codmamol and flucclaxocillin , that co-codamol is sweet though.

Staff and service at the hospital was great I have to say , One of the junior doctors is in to his biking , so we had a good old chat , I got some freebies too, some of the sheets they used to slide me on to the MRI scanner from the trolley , they bin em after , I had 3 , they make good bike covers :)

Bike was unscathed which was my main concern :) and the inevitable nagging of the other half in my endless stupidity began almost immediately!

Moral of the story is , more speed and height and should of worn my full face , Now I will look like Al Capone , but it will be hidden by my beard :) hopefully,

Be safe and have fun , definitely riding beyond my abilities but you have to challenge yourself I guess to progress, even backwards before going forward.

Armor wise , I had a my knee and elbow pads but nothing else so , I have a TLD 7850 also , but of course decided not to wear it , my ribs and back are not thanking me for that,

Ride safe and cheers

What? No pics?!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
It seems appropriate to mention recent research that won an Ig Nobel prize: Wombats shit bricks:
1621929417416.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm disappointed there's no pictures...
I used to work for a petfood company. The R&D people produced a card with 12 photographs on it, of dog turds! They ranged from muddy looking water to desiccated lumps, with everything in between. The objective was to help owners taking part in trials. They just had to say it was like number 7, instead of having to describe it. As you can imagine, this caused much hilarity in the factory. One guy said that they should produce a "scratch and sniff" version for the guide dog owners in the trial. :unsure:

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I used to work for a petfood company. The R&D people produced a card with 12 photographs on it, of dog turds! They ranged from muddy looking water to desiccated lumps, with everything in between. The objective was to help owners taking part in trials. They just had to say it was like number 7, instead of having to describe it. As you can imagine, this caused much hilarity in the factory. One guy said that they should produce a "scratch and sniff" version for the guide dog owners in the trial. :unsure:

Bristol stool scale for humans :) Bristol stool scale - Wikipedia

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Glad youre OK.
I can tell you a rsther horrible story of my friend who went over the bars in Delamere forest, he faceplanted into a puddle alone.

luckily a follwing rider found him and pulled him out, only problem was he had fractured two neck vertebrae and nicked his spinal cord.

He ended up in constant pain, electric shocks..severe leg and back weakness, lost his job..his girlfriend, then took his own life 2 years after the accident.

Always be ready for over the bars and practice saving yourself with your arms mentally.

Paralysed is just a bad landing away.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wear the full face on all trails now on the pretence that it's where I mount the gopro. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing .......
On one of the guided rides I do now and again, a mate of mine did that and knocked the camera clean off on an overhanging branch. The camera dropped into a 6-8" deep puddle, about 4' long and 3' wide. The bottom was very soft and muddy. Due to the number of riders blasting through it, the puddle consistency was like soup. He had to wade in and search with his feet to find the camera. That was about 10 mins in to the ride. How we laughed! :ROFLMAO: He took it all in good humour. :cry:

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Glad you‘re OK (sort of). I had a stupid off many years ago (going over a low wall and catching the chain ring on the lip which tipped me straight over the handlebars) and ended up with over thirty stitches in my face. Luckily my wife drove me down to Lausanne where there was a permanent plastic surgery unit in A & E. Thus, no scars. You said you were not wearing your full face. I hardly wear mine as it has almost no ventilation and is very hot and sweaty so I’ve just bought a Bell super 3r mips full face helmet with a removable chin bar. It certainly looks a lot better ventilated than my old one and your experience encourages me to wear it even though it will look a bit OTT on trails, but then again, all my worst and most painful offs have been on relatively easy ground. I guess concentration levels are much better on steep/fast technical ground.
Just plain dumb to be not wearing a full face helmet if you have one. Make sure the F/F has plenty of ventilation slots before you pay for it, and make sure it has full certification. Removable chin bar adds a little weight, but it also allows you to remove it which is not a good idea as some have found out to their regret later.
I am no d/h lunatic, but after an 83 year old riding mate made a mistake on an 'experienced jumpers only' jump and face planted, my better half persuaded me to go Full Face. My son, an experienced MTBer, wasn't exactly delighted, but I am not too proud to want to protect my wrinkly mug and natural teeth.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
For all the haters parts of this thread were useful for me and I tried to avoid taking codeine when I didn't feel I absolutely needed it. Easier to control at home than in a hospital.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For all the haters parts of this thread were useful for me and I tried to avoid taking codeine when I didn't feel I absolutely needed it. Easier to control at home than in a hospital.
How are you feeling ? (Other than pi55ed off / Frustrated).

Not in anyway questioning what you do/don't do should do/shouldn't do as we're all (mainly) adults (age wise at least) but purely from curiosity. Did you have any armour on/protection/pads and whatever you did have on, how did things hold up and more importantly - protect. Though sometimes it's difficult to work out what was hit and where.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Sore mostly. I'm thinking of doing a little video of the aftermath, what i was wearing, how damaged some things were and unscathed others were and what i thought the outcome would have been without.

I try to take my safety seriously so i had on (i'm not sponsored, just so happened to be these brands):
Full face helmet (leatt dbx 4.0 enduro)
1622585547742.png

Leatt 3DF Airflex Stealth Body Tee
1622585585622.png
1622585628458.png

Leatt 3DF 5.0 Impact Protective Shorts
1622585734130.png

Leatt Moto 4.5 Lite Gloves
1622585790770.png

Dainese Enduro Knee Pads
1622585841897.png

Fox Launch Elbow Pads
1622586004077.png

Ride Concepts Powerline Shoes
1622586047149.png

All the leatt gear is the most recent as i was previously using an evoc backpack with the protector in it before i added the tee and shorts.

Considering the type of crash i had some light grazing on my right hip + shoulder and the only other damage my around the back of my ribs.

some context, pause just before the crash to see how the ground was littered in small to medium rocks

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
i hope that answered your question. :D

From what i can see there are a few things i need to look at:
1) practice off camber/hip jumps to get used to positioning myself and the bike for the landing
2) make sure my suspension is set up correctly and not having the rebound too fast
3) go faster

Obviously there's a lot more to it than that. The bike and i never really felt as one the whole morning, so to start with i had too much PSI in the tyres after someone suggested running higher to avoid punctures, that made the bike feel too skittish for me. I had also shed a fair bit of weight and hadn't been able to fully setup even the minor changes beyond sag on the rear shock.

Ultimately it won't scare me off doing it again as this sort of stuff was just over the edge of what i felt comfortable doing and never really want to keep pushing bigger and bigger, i just want to be able to enjoy the bike parks not impress anyone else. But i do need a lot more practice on stuff about half the size.

ps.. owwwwww
1622645898726.png
1622645918332.png

Last edited:

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Sore mostly. I'm thinking of doing a little video of the aftermath, what i was wearing, how damaged some things were and unscathed others were and what i thought the outcome would have been without.

I try to take my safety seriously so i had on (i'm not sponsored, just so happened to be these brands):
Full face helmet (leatt dbx 4.0 enduro) View attachment 63096
Leatt 3DF Airflex Stealth Body Tee View attachment 63097 View attachment 63098
Leatt 3DF 5.0 Impact Protective Shorts View attachment 63099
Leatt Moto 4.5 Lite Gloves View attachment 63100
Dainese Enduro Knee Pads View attachment 63101
Fox Launch Elbow Pads View attachment 63102
Ride Concepts Powerline Shoes View attachment 63103

All the leatt gear is the most recent as i was previously using an evoc backpack with the protector in it before i added the tee and shorts.

Considering the type of crash i had some light grazing on my right hip + shoulder and the only other damage my around the back of my ribs.

some context, pause just before the crash to see how the ground was littered in small to medium rocks
Glad your on the mend. Looking at that list of things you were wearing makes you wonder how you would have been if not wearing any. Respect to you.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham

If i wasn't wearing at least the back protector i dread to think how bad it would have been as the pain basically stops where that starts.. But this is where i always consider the potential risks when i kit up for where i'm going. I don't always ride in all this gear but for bike parks i think it sensible to give yourself every chance of surviving an off and continuing to ride and enjoy the day.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I had to use the Senakot method after a week of co-codemol - it can become painful.

Glad you made it out of that the way you did. Subsequent stories of worse makes you think!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles